Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Planning trip in September - Lima and Machu Picchu

Planning trip in September - Lima and Machu Picchu

Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Does anybody have a view on the MP + Montana hike? This blog post says it's a good alternative if you can't get the MP + HP tickets. Unfortunately it would probably mean throwing away my original MP tickets and buying new ones (only ~$50/pp so not a huge deal). Just curious if anybody has done this hike http://www.howtotraveltomachupicchu....e-machu-picchu
The montana (macchu picchu mountain) hike is usually described as less difficult than Wayna Picchu.

You might be okay on your ticket; booking engines show abundant availability of tickets for the montana for the entire month of October.

Contact whomever you bought the tickets from (government, broker, tour operator/travel agency) and ask them if you can make changes to add the montana (you are not changing the date). The government tightly controls tickets for MP for a number of reasons (not least of which is to prevent fraud) so you will probably have to provide a "power of attorney" letter authorizing the company to make changes to the name.

You might have to buy a new set of tickets instead of just changing the ones you have, but if so you are far enough out that you should be able to cancel your current tickets with no or minimal charge (I think it is around 15%).

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Section 107
Contact whomever you bought the tickets from (government, broker, tour operator/travel agency) and ask them if you can make changes to add the montana (you are not changing the date). The government tightly controls tickets for MP for a number of reasons (not least of which is to prevent fraud) so you will probably have to provide a "power of attorney" letter authorizing the company to make changes to the name.

You might have to buy a new set of tickets instead of just changing the ones you have, but if so you are far enough out that you should be able to cancel your current tickets with no or minimal charge (I think it is around 15%).

Good luck, let us know what happens.
I tried emailing the address on the government booking site and didn't get any response. I think I'm just going to keep the general MP tickets and not do any of the major hiking. My mom is probably not in the best condition to do anything strenuous anyway, so this all may be a blessing in disguise.

I also didn't find anything that talked about how to get a refund.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It sounds like you bought directly from the government. Did you try calling the government customer service Call Center: 001 51-084 582030? It is open Monday to Saturday from 7:00 to 19:30 pm (local time, to be sure). Did you use this email address: [email protected]?

The government only gives refunds when the park is closed for landslides, earthquakes or other natural disaster.

If you bought from a travel company or other ticket reseller than refunds might be possible as they can probably resell those tickets someone else.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Section 107
It sounds like you bought directly from the government. Did you try calling the government customer service Call Center: 001 51-084 582030? It is open Monday to Saturday from 7:00 to 19:30 pm (local time, to be sure). Did you use this email address: [email protected]?
I did buy direct. I didn't try calling them, but that is the email address I used. But let's be honest, it's a Latin American government. I didn't actually expect them to respond, but figured I might as well try.

Changing tunes, Avianca emailed with the Plusgrade offer to upgrade to J for Lima-Cuzco. Minimum bid is $40. While I know it's a super short flight, Mom is a big fan of not sitting in the back regardless of the flight length. Might put in the minimum bid and see what happens. For $160 total to upgrade both of us for the round trip... It's only $160.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Aug 25, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.