Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Planning trip in September - Lima and Machu Picchu

Planning trip in September - Lima and Machu Picchu

Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I am guessing, MP around Thanksgiving is bad idea weather wise, am I right?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by daKav
We went the week before Christmas and it was nice, but overcast. We went again the last week of June and is was very sunny (we were really hot). I think you will have an increased chance of weather during the wet season. A few things you could do if you have some time to burn... you could go on instagram and scroll back to photos from last November to see what photos looked like during that time frame.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Do you speak Spanish?
I would probably set up a driver ahead of time so you don't have to negotiate a rate when you arrive.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
No, not at all. It's not the best in terms of rain but temperature-wise it is quite comfortable - daytime temps average in the mid-20s C (mid-70s F).

Dress in layers and bring a light jacket and a lightweight fleece; I found lightweight convertible pants were more than enough; shorts would have been fine.

The main issue is that November is the start of the "rainy" season with an average of 14 rainy days (off and on showers).

But really, rain is a fact there all the time; it is always prudent to bring at least a waterproof jacket - the weather coming in from the Amazon is only predictable in how unpredictable it is.

In November one would be negligent not to bring a lightweight rainsuit (or similar) and at least one change of clothes and a waterproof pack.

I did not climb MP or HP so I don't know how difficult those trails are but I assume they are not significantly different from the trails around the citadel and up to the sun gate and inka bridge. Although I brought my light-duty hiking hiking boots these trails only require decent walking shoes but I could have done it all with only tennis shoes (and you see many people with only tennis shoes; my guide only wore tevas.

Another consideration is fog: the views of Macchu Picchu are one of the prime attractions and fog is much more likely in November.

However, November is the end of peak tourist season so you get some benefit from pretty much having the place to yourself.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:58 am

krazykanuck, Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We went the week before Christmas and it was nice, but overcast. We went again the last week of June and is was very sunny (we were really hot). I think you will have an increased chance of weather during the wet season. A few things you could do if you have some time to burn... you could go on instagram and scroll back to photos from last November to see what photos looked like during that time frame.
Originally Posted by Section 107
No, not at all. It's not the best in terms of rain but temperature-wise it is quite comfortable - daytime temps average in the mid-20s C (mid-70s F).

Dress in layers and bring a light jacket and a lightweight fleece; I found lightweight convertible pants were more than enough; shorts would have been fine.

The main issue is that November is the start of the "rainy" season with an average of 14 rainy days (off and on showers).

But really, rain is a fact there all the time; it is always prudent to bring at least a waterproof jacket - the weather coming in from the Amazon is only predictable in how unpredictable it is.

In November one would be negligent not to bring a lightweight rainsuit (or similar) and at least one change of clothes and a waterproof pack.

I did not climb MP or HP so I don't know how difficult those trails are but I assume they are not significantly different from the trails around the citadel and up to the sun gate and inka bridge. Although I brought my light-duty hiking hiking boots these trails only require decent walking shoes but I could have done it all with only tennis shoes (and you see many people with only tennis shoes; my guide only wore tevas.

Another consideration is fog: the views of Macchu Picchu are one of the prime attractions and fog is much more likely in November.

However, November is the end of peak tourist season so you get some benefit from pretty much having the place to yourself.

I just got back from South America 2 days back ( Colombia and Ecuador) and have been looking for a reason to go back.

I bit the bullet with Avianca's 50 mins SAL layover and booked a ticket to LIM. I'll be spending 2 days in Cuzco and do a 4 day Inca trail hike!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm wondering if I need to follow this advice or if I can buy my train tickets on the spot.

Will the price of those trains go up closer to the date of departure if they start to fill up (like an airline seat likely would) or will they stay fixed?

Or are the train tickets fully changeable, subject to availability, if I get to Ollantaytambo in time to catch an earlier train or get there after my booked train has departed?
My experience was that train tickets sold out quickly. I tried to make a change to my return portion (afternoon train from AC to Olly) when I was in Peru and was unable to because all trains were fully booked.

Subject to availability you can make changes. I think there's a change fee but it's not onerous as airplane tickets are. The difficulty is that there might not be any availability.

As far as I know, there's no difference in price the closer in you get to the date. All the seats on the train are the same. There only difference is in the trains themselves - the luxury Hiram Bingham is the most expensive for example.

You can test availability yourself. Just try making a few dummy bookings and you'll get a feel for how available (or not) tickets are for say, tomorrow vs next week vs next month. Depending on when you're going, I think you'll find some periods are very popular indeed and seat availability will reflect that.

Good luck!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Is there a secret to booking a train with perurail.com? No matter whether I try using Firefox or Internet Explorer on my desktop, after inputting the booking details, the next screen (http://www.perurail.com/wp-content/t...ng/booking.php) always comes up blank for me. And, using Safari on my iPad, I can't even get to a booking page.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Is there a secret to booking a train with perurail.com? No matter whether I try using Firefox or Internet Explorer on my desktop, after inputting the booking details, the next screen (http://www.perurail.com/wp-content/t...ng/booking.php) always comes up blank for me. And, using Safari on my iPad, I can't even get to a booking page.
It could be tricky. Works well in Safari. Hope you know that train doesn't leave from Cusco. Depart from either Poroy, which is 13 km from Cusco, Ollantaytambo which is in the Sacred Valley or Urubamba. As an option, order a tour to Sacred Valley and take the train from there
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
krazykanuck, Sorry for hijacking your thread.
No problem! Glad to see it getting use. I almost feel like we could use a MP visit wiki.

Entry 1: Pay for your MP tickets immediately! I didn't realize that was a requirement and had my reservation for MP + Huaynapicchu cancelled because I didn't pay within a few hours. By the time I realized this there were zero tickets available for the day we're there, so will have to settle for generic Machu picchu tickets

So is there anything good to do that's a short drive or day trip from the Tambo del Inka? We'll get there before noon, so obviously can lounge around the hotel, but if there is good stuff to do in the area...

Last edited by krazykanuck; Aug 6, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
No problem! Glad to see it getting use. I almost feel like we could use a MP visit wiki.

Entry 1: Pay for your MP tickets immediately! I didn't realize that was a requirement and had my reservation for MP + Huaynapicchu cancelled because I didn't pay within a few hours. By the time I realized this there were zero tickets available for the day we're there, so will have to settle for generic Machu picchu tickets

So is there anything good to do that's a short drive or day trip from the Tambo del Inka? We'll get there before noon, so obviously can lounge around the hotel, but if there is good stuff to do in the area...
Are tickets still available for the Macchu Piccu mountain hike? (This is different from the "generic" tickets to the citadel itself.)

No separate tickets are needed for the hike to the sun-gate nor to the Inca Bridge. Of course it depends on your abilities but for a person of average fitness, a non-hurried sun gate hike takes about 3 hours roundtrip and the inca bridge about an hour. Seeing the citadel completely will take at least 4 to 5 hours.

Next time I go I will definitely be doing the whitewater rafting. I believe one can also hike/tour the hydroelectric power plant, too. It's no Hoover dam, but an interesting engineering feat in and of itself.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:26 am

*that-four-letter-expletive*

Since I am doing the 4 day hike, the hike operator is taking care for my first entrance to MP.

I am staying back a day and hiking MP+HP next day. I thought I bought that tikcet until I read your post. Apparently, I hadn't paid. I did not check my credit card statement closely either. I plugged in the confirmation code and it said "cancelled". Luckily, there were slots available on the day I wanted. Booked and paid.

Thank you!

EDIT: I do not see a logic to them having reservation and payment in 2 separate flows. I am guessing there are lot of people who do get the "reservation" cancelled because of this.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Section 107
Are tickets still available for the Macchu Piccu mountain hike? (This is different from the "generic" tickets to the citadel itself.)

No separate tickets are needed for the hike to the sun-gate nor to the Inca Bridge. Of course it depends on your abilities but for a person of average fitness, a non-hurried sun gate hike takes about 3 hours roundtrip and the inca bridge about an hour. Seeing the citadel completely will take at least 4 to 5 hours.
I purchased the tickets that are S/128 and labeled simply Machupicchu on the ticket website. Is this what you mean as tickets for the mountain hike?

Seems like there will be enough things for us to visit even though I didn't get the Huaynapicchu tickets.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:34 pm

I purchased the tickets that are S/128 and labeled simply Machupicchu on the ticket website. Is this what you mean as tickets for the mountain hike?

Seems like there will be enough things for us to visit even though I didn't get the Huaynapicchu tickets.
I don't know exactly what the separate tickets for macchu Pichu mountain look like or say because I didn't get them. But they are separate and will have a specific entry time on them. I do know that one cannot get the separate ticket without first buying the "regular" or generic ticket - so you probably just have the regular ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:02 pm

MP ticket S/128 is ticket for the day (no trek, no hike). A month ago we bought these - they cost S/128 each plus an admin fee. We also bought the half day tickets (entry after 1pm) for S/90 each plus an admin fee.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Does anybody have a view on the MP + Montana hike? This blog post says it's a good alternative if you can't get the MP + HP tickets. Unfortunately it would probably mean throwing away my original MP tickets and buying new ones (only ~$50/pp so not a huge deal). Just curious if anybody has done this hike http://www.howtotraveltomachupicchu....e-machu-picchu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.