Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Mosquito Update (Anecdotal evidence from Machu Picchu)

Mosquito Update (Anecdotal evidence from Machu Picchu)

Old Mar 14, 16, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thumbs up Mosquito Update (Anecdotal evidence from Machu Picchu)

Just spent 10 days in Peru with a group of students. We were in Lima/Miraflores, Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu. I'm happy to report that we didn't have a single mosquito bite the entire trip. Although we all sprayed pretty thoroughly with deet at Machu Picchu, I never saw a single mosquito. A couple of students reported bites from sand flies, but they weren't bad at all.
Old Mar 15, 16, 12:43 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip around here, and that no mosquitoes bit you. Hope you come back soon!
Old Mar 15, 16, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Is May soon enough?
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Not at all! Let us know and maybe we can organize a DO!
Old Apr 9, 16, 3:50 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
No mosquitoes when I went in Dec either.
Old Apr 10, 16, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
Just spent 10 days in Peru with a group of students. We were in Lima/Miraflores, Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu. I'm happy to report that we didn't have a single mosquito bite the entire trip. Although we all sprayed pretty thoroughly with deet at Machu Picchu, I never saw a single mosquito. A couple of students reported bites from sand flies, but they weren't bad at all.
May I "correct" your English? It's not "although we sprayed..." but "because we sprayed...". One usually sees mossies only when they come for their lunch/dinner. Thus, when the entire group of students smells like DEET, they'll never approach. I wonder why the sandflies came through, though, as they're equally repelled by DEET. I guess when you say the sand flies' bites were not bad at all, you refer to the number of bites. Because their bites are "normally" much worse than the ones of mosquitoes.

Search this Thread