Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Lima for 15 hour layover or connect to Panama City?

Old Mar 8, 16, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold

I have a 730 AM from Cuzco to Lima in early May, and after that I have two options.

1. Stay in Lima all day and catch a midnight flight to Houston
2. Take a 4 PM flight to Panama City, spend the night there, and take 325 PM flight the next day to Houston

Any recommendations?

Last edited by slickvik; Mar 8, 16 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 8, 16, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
I'd definitely do a day in Lima if you have not been there before, and both options give you a good shot at it.

You are going to get into the city for breakfast. Instinct tells me you need to try a pan con chicharrón, the world's best sandwich (in my humble opinion) but this is mainly a weekend thing. I know somewhere like Glotons in Av Comandante Espinar would do this, I am sure others will have suggestions

From there you can walk to Parque del Amor and see the paragliders and the ocean. I don't see any point in going to Larcomar. Carry on walking around, it's all very walkable.

Look to get lunch somewhere like Punto Azul in Miraflores, the ceviche there is brilliant, if you want somewhere that pushes the culinary envelope a bit further then I am sure once again that others will have more suggestions. I like to keep it traditional in Lima because it is so good without meddling.

You have time for a visit to the centre. So go, its cleanliness comes and goes to an extent. Check out museums etc. but Plaza de Armas is very nice. Plaza San Martín is also popular with FTers and is home to the Estadio Restaurant if you are ready to give up and drink something.

You also have time to go to Parque Mágico del Agua, spend an hour or two there then head back to the airport (although you can also squeeze a dinner in somewhere if you are not stuffed) If you have free time then you can always head back to Miraflores and sink some beers.

I think the main concern will be transport. I do not particularly like the haggling that is involved with Lima taxis, ideally you would organise a private driver and I know this can be done economically.

Long and short of it though, you have ample time to "do" the highlights. You can also try to squeeze in Huaca Pucllana, that was an obvious thing that I forgot about
Old Mar 9, 16, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post

Any recommendations?
Don't cross-post. You put the same question in the Central America forum.
Old Mar 9, 16, 4:57 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
I agree with JohnnyColombia. He mentioned the main highlights, including the Huaca (located in my neighborhood ).

Early May should be warm but not strong hot as nowadays. So perfect for walking tours. Just check distances and transport times. Heavy traffic is present the whole day.
Old Mar 15, 16, 12:38 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
I'd choose the long layover in Lima.

You can go outside the airport and have pretty tasty food for a more reasonable price than airside (if that's what you like) or visit several of the attractions.

UA855 is a very comfy flight, the plane is big and if you get to choose a seat on Economy Plus, I recommend 18A/B for legroom or 17A/B for recline (17 AB are crew rest seats, have footrest and recline almost all the way back. 18AB have more legroom to compensate for the recline on 17). Also, the lounges are not that crowded at that time, which helps if you enter those. (UA855 is my usual on my way out of Lima, just shoot if you have any questions about it).

Search this Thread