Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Peru - Departure tax

Peru - Departure tax

Old Feb 28, 16, 3:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Peru - Departure tax

Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
CompassFollower is offline  
Old Feb 28, 16, 7:30 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OAX
Posts: 107
The tax is no longer paid in cash as of 2011 IIRC. It is surely included in your ticket. If you look at the breakdown of taxes & fees, you don't see airport departure tax - $30.74?
SammySpade is offline  
Old Feb 29, 16, 8:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LIM
Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Posts: 551
Welcome to FlyerTalk, CompassFollower!

Glad you're visiting Peru. You're gonna love it

With regards to the tax, it should be included in the ticket. You should be able to get more details in the "Taxes & Fees" part of your ticket. Otherwise, I think you should be able to call AA and ask them with your reservation number or ticket number.

I had a friend come from SFO to LIM via MIA on AA, and AA *did* charge her the departure tax.

I have seen little booths where you can pay the tax in case it's not included, but I never see them open anymore. In any case, I can call the airport and ask, if that would make you feel more comfortable (being a local I can call for free).

Let us know if you have any other questions!
joseeantonior is offline  
Old Mar 30, 16, 10:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AA gold, LAN
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by CompassFollower View Post
Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
Dv8derek is offline  
Old Mar 30, 16, 10:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AA gold, LAN
Posts: 3
Included in ticket

I have flown to Lima three times and has been included in my AA ticket price. Never had a problem.
Dv8derek is offline  
Old Mar 30, 16, 6:30 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 712
Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
I had a friend come from SFO to LIM via MIA on AA, and AA *did* charge her the departure tax.
Agree, it is included. Friends just arrived from DFW and it was included.

Feel free to ask anything about your trip!
Villavic is offline  
Old May 29, 16, 11:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FRA, GER
Programs: ex-Delta-Silver, Amex Membership Rewards, MilagePlus, IHG-Rewards Club
Posts: 88
I have been to Peru twice in the last 5 years (Delta Airlines) and the fee is included in the ticket. Has been for quite a while with all airlines as far as I know.
amieuro is offline  
Old May 29, 16, 2:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Body in Downtown YYZ, heart and mind elsewhere
Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Posts: 4,957
Confirmed. I just departed LIM a few hours ago and there was nothing extra to pay. Just went through customs & security like any other airport then jumped onto the plane.
RCyyz is offline  
Old Nov 4, 16, 7:42 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Just left Lima

Originally Posted by CompassFollower View Post
Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
Hi. I just flew from Lima to Buenos Aires on Avianca today. I am a US citizen. Lima was a stopover on my Colombia to BA flight. I left the airport to stay at a hotel, but was only out of the airport about 11 hours. When I started into the migración area for my BA flight they stopped me, after checking my boarding pass, and sent me back to pay the $31 departure fee in cash. They wanted dollars. Luckily I stashed a $100 bill in my bra and was able to pay. So all the forums that say that departure tax has been eliminated are wrong. Likely most US airlines are mandated or do include the tax in the cost of ticket, but my Avianca ticket was issued from Lima.
tfreese is offline  
Old Nov 5, 16, 3:06 pm
  #10  
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lima, Perú
Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Posts: 757
Originally Posted by tfreese View Post
Hi. I just flew from Lima to Buenos Aires on Avianca today. I am a US citizen. Lima was a stopover on my Colombia to BA flight. I left the airport to stay at a hotel, but was only out of the airport about 11 hours. When I started into the migración area for my BA flight they stopped me, after checking my boarding pass, and sent me back to pay the $31 departure fee in cash. They wanted dollars. Luckily I stashed a $100 bill in my bra and was able to pay. So all the forums that say that departure tax has been eliminated are wrong. Likely most US airlines are mandated or do include the tax in the cost of ticket, but my Avianca ticket was issued from Lima.
What happened probably was that you had a connection in Lima but it wasn't a stopover. The departure tax isn't required if there is a connection because you aren't meant to leave the international transit area. Since you did, when you went to the hotel, then you had to pay the departure fee.
andreadbc is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 10:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DTW
Posts: 287
Is it still the case where if I have a long layover in Peru and decide to leave the airport, will I need to pay an additional departure fee?
discoseal is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 10:58 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA/AA
Posts: 1,705
Originally Posted by discoseal View Post
Is it still the case where if I have a long layover in Peru and decide to leave the airport, will I need to pay an additional departure fee?
Nope. I just had a 12 hour layover yesterday, and no departure tax.

Use the Airport Express bus service to Miraflores. $15/rt. Stops at most of the major hotels.
jaymar01 is offline  
Old Jun 26, 17, 12:34 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,018
Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
Nope. I just had a 12 hour layover yesterday, and no departure tax...
Ditto this past weekend. Don't know how they can tell if you leave the airport anyhow. You're free to come and go once you get off a domestic flight. You have to re-clear security to board an international flight because the rules are different (for example, no bottles of water), so having cleared domestic security at your previous departure point doesn't matter.
Efrem is offline  
Old Jun 27, 17, 2:42 pm
  #14  
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lima, Perú
Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Posts: 757
the situation isn't the same tax-wise for intl-intl connections than for those that include domestic flights...
andreadbc is offline  
Old Aug 14, 18, 12:42 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 167
Flying KLM from AMS I will land in LIM on Friday evening, leave the airport, sleep, enter the airport again next morning and fly with Avianca or LATAM on a local flight to CUZ. Will I have to pay exit or entry fee? Thank you.
KLBGO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread