Wiki Posts
Search

Peru - Departure tax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Peru - Departure tax

Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:30 pm

The tax is no longer paid in cash as of 2011 IIRC. It is surely included in your ticket. If you look at the breakdown of taxes & fees, you don't see airport departure tax - $30.74?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, CompassFollower!

Glad you're visiting Peru. You're gonna love it

With regards to the tax, it should be included in the ticket. You should be able to get more details in the "Taxes & Fees" part of your ticket. Otherwise, I think you should be able to call AA and ask them with your reservation number or ticket number.

I had a friend come from SFO to LIM via MIA on AA, and AA *did* charge her the departure tax.

I have seen little booths where you can pay the tax in case it's not included, but I never see them open anymore. In any case, I can call the airport and ask, if that would make you feel more comfortable (being a local I can call for free).

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AA gold, LAN
Originally Posted by CompassFollower
Hello all -

I will soon be departing for my first trip to Peru. Will be spending most of my time in Lima. I have received conflicting information about a Peruvian departure fee/tax levied on travelers. I would like to have believed that this fee is built into the airfare I purchased from American Airlines (with flights operated by LAN). I have read the receipt and fine print but have found nothing mentioning a payment for Peruvian fees of any kind. I placed a to call AA and they informed me that this fee was NOT included in airfare and should be paid upon departure at airport. I am told this fee is $31 USD. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of such a fee to be paid at airport versus already pain while ticketing. Also - does anyone know if the fee can be paid in Sols, USD, credit cards? Thanks in advance to anyone with information - and Happy travels to all!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA gold, LAN
Included in ticket

I have flown to Lima three times and has been included in my AA ticket price. Never had a problem.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:30 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
I had a friend come from SFO to LIM via MIA on AA, and AA *did* charge her the departure tax.
Agree, it is included. Friends just arrived from DFW and it was included.

Feel free to ask anything about your trip!
Old May 29, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
I have been to Peru twice in the last 5 years (Delta Airlines) and the fee is included in the ticket. Has been for quite a while with all airlines as far as I know.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Confirmed. I just departed LIM a few hours ago and there was nothing extra to pay. Just went through customs & security like any other airport then jumped onto the plane.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:42 pm

Just left Lima

Originally Posted by CompassFollower
Hello all -

Hi. I just flew from Lima to Buenos Aires on Avianca today. I am a US citizen. Lima was a stopover on my Colombia to BA flight. I left the airport to stay at a hotel, but was only out of the airport about 11 hours. When I started into the migración area for my BA flight they stopped me, after checking my boarding pass, and sent me back to pay the $31 departure fee in cash. They wanted dollars. Luckily I stashed a $100 bill in my bra and was able to pay. So all the forums that say that departure tax has been eliminated are wrong. Likely most US airlines are mandated or do include the tax in the cost of ticket, but my Avianca ticket was issued from Lima.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:06 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by tfreese
Hi. I just flew from Lima to Buenos Aires on Avianca today. I am a US citizen. Lima was a stopover on my Colombia to BA flight. I left the airport to stay at a hotel, but was only out of the airport about 11 hours. When I started into the migración area for my BA flight they stopped me, after checking my boarding pass, and sent me back to pay the $31 departure fee in cash. They wanted dollars. Luckily I stashed a $100 bill in my bra and was able to pay. So all the forums that say that departure tax has been eliminated are wrong. Likely most US airlines are mandated or do include the tax in the cost of ticket, but my Avianca ticket was issued from Lima.
What happened probably was that you had a connection in Lima but it wasn't a stopover. The departure tax isn't required if there is a connection because you aren't meant to leave the international transit area. Since you did, when you went to the hotel, then you had to pay the departure fee.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:45 am

Is it still the case where if I have a long layover in Peru and decide to leave the airport, will I need to pay an additional departure fee?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by discoseal
Is it still the case where if I have a long layover in Peru and decide to leave the airport, will I need to pay an additional departure fee?
Nope. I just had a 12 hour layover yesterday, and no departure tax.

Use the Airport Express bus service to Miraflores. $15/rt. Stops at most of the major hotels.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Nope. I just had a 12 hour layover yesterday, and no departure tax...
Ditto this past weekend. Don't know how they can tell if you leave the airport anyhow. You're free to come and go once you get off a domestic flight. You have to re-clear security to board an international flight because the rules are different (for example, no bottles of water), so having cleared domestic security at your previous departure point doesn't matter.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:42 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
the situation isn't the same tax-wise for intl-intl connections than for those that include domestic flights...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Flying KLM from AMS I will land in LIM on Friday evening, leave the airport, sleep, enter the airport again next morning and fly with Avianca or LATAM on a local flight to CUZ. Will I have to pay exit or entry fee? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.