Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Peru should be at the centre of your world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Why Peru should be at the centre of your world

Of course time and money is an issue for everybody, but I have never understood why more people do not use Peru as a base for exploring other regions of the continent. Of course, we can all spend time in Peru and enjoy ourselves, but is there not any adventure from people anymore who want to experience the likes of Bolivia and Ecuador ON THE SAME TRIP?

Peru is strategically placed on the mid-west part of the continent, with Ecuador to its north and Bolivia to its south east. The Amazon Rainforest, of which a large part is within Peruvian borders, is also within “easy” reach in the east of the country (so you don’t have to go to Brazil to see it, right?). Who can turn down the chance to hike the Inca Trail and see the fabled ancient city of Machu Picchu? And when you’ve taken in the scenery of the Colca Canyon, witnessed the mystery of the Nazca Lines, and eaten a few guinea pigs in Lima, then you may well very be ready to head across the border to Bolivia – which can even be done by boat over the world’s highest navigable lake, Lake Titicaca (sort of). ^

As far as planning an adventurous backpacking itinerary goes, did you know that the 3 main overland border crossings between Peru and Ecuador are at Aguas Verdes (Pacific Ocean coast), La Tina (through the mountains), and La Balsa (through the jungle). Are you getting a sense of wanderlust yet? You should be. It kind of makes me want to return to Peru just to enjoy the adventure of some of these border crossings!

As far as add-ons to your backpacking adventure are concerned, you could go to either Bolivia or Ecuador (depending on your personal preference) very cheaply and usually with many other tourists, as it is a popular backpacking circuit. I think you should include both of these countries – along with Peru – and make the most of the opportunity while you’re in the area!

Last edited by A380 Flyer; Feb 14, 2016 at 2:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.