Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Transiting Lima airport as an inexperienced traveler

Old Jan 5, 16, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Next week my girlfriend will be traveling from DFW-LIM-IQT and returning a few weeks later. The international flights are on AA and the domestic are on LAN. Both long-haul flights are red-eyes so she will not be spending the night in Lima.

She's not a very experienced or confident traveler. I'm sure it will work out but we are both a little concerned about the Lima transfers. I'm going to make a thorough sheet for her to follow regarding steps to take while transiting.

Could some of you clue us into the process? I would like to know if she will need to recheck her bags in Lima, and if so where? Does she need to wait in a line to pay a departure tax? Are there any other nuances that one does in Lima or Peruvian airports that they might not be accustomed to in American airports?

Thanks you
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by UpliftingSound View Post
Next week my girlfriend will be traveling from DFW-LIM-IQT and returning a few weeks later. The international flights are on AA and the domestic are on LAN. Both long-haul flights are red-eyes so she will not be spending the night in Lima.

She's not a very experienced or confident traveler. I'm sure it will work out but we are both a little concerned about the Lima transfers. I'm going to make a thorough sheet for her to follow regarding steps to take while transiting.

Could some of you clue us into the process? I would like to know if she will need to recheck her bags in Lima, and if so where? Does she need to wait in a line to pay a departure tax? Are there any other nuances that one does in Lima or Peruvian airports that they might not be accustomed to in American airports?

Thanks you
Hey!

So, let's see. Your AA flight will arrive, and you will just follow the path until you get to immigrations. Once she clears immigrations, she just goes through, will see a duty free store, and turns right. Just a couple steps, and she will be able to see the baggage claim area. She will need to pick up her bags, and go through the customs agents, which are located all the way to the other side from where she exited immigrations. She will turn in the customs declaration, and then all her bags (including carry-ons) will go through an X-ray machine. The flow is pretty continuous - you won't get stopped unless they find something weird (which I hope not!). Nothing in that area needs to be paid for, and if someone tries to get money off of you, it's a rip-off. You continue your way out and ta-da! You're landside on the LIM airport.

In order to continue her trip, she will need to check her bags with LAN. There are no re-check belts, because immediately after customs, she will have to exit the secure area. So, to her right she will find the doors to the outside area of the airport. Exit that door, and then take the next open door to your left. Those are the check-in counters, and you can only access that area if you have a ticket. Go into the check-in counters, and drop the bag. She may be given another boarding pass if requested. Then, all the way to the other side of the airport from where she first exited she will find two areas. In the first floor, she will find the domestic arrivals, and in the second floor she will find some restaurants. Take the escalators to the second floor, and continue straight down the hall. If you're going the right way, she should go past a Britt Shop, then a McDonalds to her right, a Charlotte's to her right, some ATMs and cellphone shops to her left, a Dunkin' Donuts to her right, and then she'll see some area where she will, again, go past security.

When you enter that area, you shouldn't pay anything. The taxes should already be included on the ticket, though you can double check with AA or whoever you booked the ticket in order to make sure. Follow the 'Nacionales' or domestic line, and go past security. Then, head to the lounge or your gate.

Even though it looks a bit complicated, I tried to develop the entire process step by step, it's way simpler than it looks.

I hope this helps, and that she has a great time in IQT!
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thorough and extremely helpful.
How does the process work when she flys back to the US? Will she have to claim her bag in Lima or will it be checked through?
Thank you
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Thorough and extremely helpful.
How does the process work when she flys back to the US? Will she have to claim her bag in Lima or will it be checked through?
Thank you
I am not entirely sure on this. Maybe someone else can help. I have never made a domestic to int'l connection. However, she can check her stub, and if the stub mentions DFW and not just LIM, she can rest assured that the bag has been checked through. There are no customs checks on your way out, just the standard security an immigration. Yes, she will have to go through immigrations in order to exit the country, it's not just taking the flight. How long is the IQT-LIM-DFW connection?
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
How long is the IQT-LIM-DFW connection?
4 hours
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:50 pm

4 hours
That's more than enough to clear immigrations, so she should be safe.

Search this Thread