Wiki Posts
Search

Peru : A discussion about big people and luxury travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Peru : A discussion about big people and luxury travel

Is Peru only for fit and skinny people? Is the Belmond Rail taboo?

And mods please feel free to delete this post as you may consider well offtopic
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems like a fine topic to discuss, but I think the right place for it is in the relevant geographical forum, so I am going to move it there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am a foodie thats why I am thinking peru?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:55 pm

Just back from Peru. Great place. No need to be fit. We went with some older people who were not in shape at all - no problem hiking around Macchu Picchu. Great trip, wonderful food. I would spend a few days in Lima - we enjoyed it.

The B Hotel in Lima was superb in every way.

Tambo del Inka in the Sacred Valley was also excellent.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
My husband and I were just in Peru for two weeks (Vistadome to MP, and HB back). I saw people of all shapes and sizes and ages and abilities. It wasn't just a bunch of fitness gurus running up Machu Picchu, although I did see that too

However, the altitude is serious and a doctor visit is recommended before going.

The food was amazing! Definitely spend some extra time in Cuzco so that you can relax and enjoy the dining.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
My husband and I were just in Peru for two weeks (Vistadome to MP, and HB back). I saw people of all shapes and sizes and ages and abilities. It wasn't just a bunch of fitness gurus running up Machu Picchu, although I did see that too

However, the altitude is serious and a doctor visit is recommended before going.

The food was amazing! Definitely spend some extra time in Cuzco so that you can relax and enjoy the dining.
Dr. Visist for immunization?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the specific itinerary within Peru, perhaps a prescription for antimalarial drugs or drugs to combat high altitude sickness too? For many people, a check up before attempting mountain climbing or other strenuous activities would be a good idea.

IANAMD = I am not a medical doctor
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on the specific itinerary within Peru, perhaps a prescription for antimalarial drugs or drugs to combat high altitude sickness too? For many people, a check up before attempting mountain climbing or other strenuous activities would be a good idea.

IANAMD = I am not a medical doctor
Antimalarial drugs may be recommended if you are going to hot/humid climate, like the northern coastal cities or Iquitos in the Amazon. For Cusco and Machu Picchu, a visit to the doctor is a great idea, as suggested.

Overall, no worries about being big or small or unfit. You only live once and your shape or physical condition should not stop you from either enjoying our gastronomy or admiring Machu Picchu. Happy travels!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
One thing did occur to me...the bus from Aguas Calientes to MP has tiny seats that are narrow and have very little legroom. It's a short ride, but it was quite uncomfortable.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Global Entry
Thank you so much for opening this thread. It makes me feel a little less apprehensive about my journey to Machu Picchu as a larger single gal next week. I made the following arrangements to hopefully make my trip easier:
- Purchased a business class seat to Cusco on Avianca.
- Had discussion about altitude sickness with my doctor and was prescribed Acetazolamide to start a day or two before and to continue through my visit.
- Learned how (YouTube) to increase the pressure on my CPAP device to compensate for altitude. I will also plan to ask about oxygen at the hotel.
- Allowed for an overnight rest in Cusco before attempting MP.
- Purchased a seat on the Hirham Bingham train. The vista train looked to be tight quarters.
- Purchased a folding hiking stick for going up those steep stairs.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by FromMAtoAZ
- Allowed for an overnight rest in Cusco before attempting MP.
Cusco is at 11,000ft. Why not stay in Ollantaytambo (9,200ft) instead? Or just go straight to Aguas Caliente (6,700ft)?

And even Machu Picchu is at only 7,800ft. The bus takes you up to basically the same level as most of the main sites.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I was there last month. I did feel some altitude sickness in Cusco, so we just walked a little slower. We stayed in Ollantaytambo and I was glad of it because of the altitude. Also, I liked its small town charm. We (two middle aged, middling fit, mid-sized gals,) had a great guide and a driver that took us around. You don't have to do a lot of hiking around if your driver drops you off at the sights. We got nearly all the way down to the salt flats by car, no hiking to speak of. I highly recommend getting a guide, as, for USA pocketbooks, the prices are amazingly affordable. There's a thread on hiring a guide in the Peru forum, with lots of recommendations, including mine, for good guides.

Overall, the Sacred Valley and Peru are great places to visit.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was thinking of Belmond Train to Maccu Piccu as I think the Inca Trail would be too much. I was thinking of Lima to eat at Central .

ps. I am very fat

I sometimes get stomach pains. Has my parents who are doctors heart and medical test me. Had another doctor test me. I am fine otherwise.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:48 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The Bingham train will get you to the base of MP, and a bus can take you to the top of the hill. This is where you show your ticket and enter. There are bathrooms there, too. Then you enter. You will have a choice of how much walking or hiking you'd like to do to explore the actual site. There are steps, and, as you can see from the photos, it sits on the top of a mountain and it's multi level. There are several places along to stop and rest, or you could sit at any wide juncture. I sat and rested at one point on a bench.

The Inka trail is a hike, so I wouldn't think you'd want to do that.

How do your stomach pains figure in?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Well, here's how I handled my trip with no mountain sickness. Went to diamox two days before upon arrival in Lima (and for whole trip). Then, change arrangement of trips - Cusco airport is at 3000m, immediate arrive and depart for Sacred Valley to see sights there. I stayed at Urumbamba valley around 2200m, so can acclimatise (in a lovely 17th Century monastery converted to hotel). After MP, back to Cusco, and onwards to Titicaca (3800m!). No problem, only short headache in Cusco - nothing Coca tea cant fix.

As for size, train seats to MP are comfy (we took Vistadome). The mini bus is a little tight but you can ask for front seats (single seat), that's ok for bit more space. Am sure understanding travellers will help.

Plenty of older less strong people in MP - you dont need to climb and do a yoga pose at the peak right? (and yes, plenty of those travellers!) Walk sensibly to enjoy and rest if tired. If you want to, the base town of Aguas Calientes has hotels, which can make a rest stop easier. Dont hike the inka trail and at MP, dont feel you have to walk up to the Sun Gate if you are tired. We are in our late 30s, early 40s and walking to take a pic of MP below left us breathless due to the altitude. Take it easy...you're on holiday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.