Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Night between flights in Lima, Perú

Old Oct 9, 15, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I will have to spend a whole night between flights in Lima, Perú, and I am travelling with a child. The airline says that they won´t charge me for leaving the airport to the hotel that is located in the facilities, but that I will have to pay a fee at the airport to go back in.
Does anybody know if this is true and how much is it?
What would be other ways to make the night easer for a kid? Can I pay to get into a VIP lounge and stay there the whole time?
Thank you!
Old Oct 9, 15, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There is no fee for entering the airport. Just have your tickets available.
Old Oct 9, 15, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MarcelaG View Post
I will have to spend a whole night between flights in Lima, Perú, and I am travelling with a child. The airline says that they won´t charge me for leaving the airport to the hotel that is located in the facilities, but that I will have to pay a fee at the airport to go back in.
Does anybody know if this is true and how much is it?
What would be other ways to make the night easer for a kid? Can I pay to get into a VIP lounge and stay there the whole time?
Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

There is the Wyndham Costa del Sol hotel less than 100 yards from the airport, reachable by an overhead walkway. I suggest strongly you stay overnight here, the facilities are clean the restaurant is OK (albeit chaotic early mornings with the Amazon and Cusco crowds). The property is clean, comfortable but not luxurious, nor is it cheap (very high demand, only good-ish hotel that is airport-close).

There are lounges and it would be cheaper. I've used the Sumaq lounge, and they have showers, etc. From sleepinginairports.net,

"If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Lima airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):

SUMAQ VIP Lounge - Location: International Concourse, Airside, past Gate 17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 68) • Priority Pass.

VIP Club Lounge & Business Center - International Concourse, Airside, past Gate 17. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 58) • Priority Pass.

Caral VIP Lounge - Location: Domestic Concourse, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass."

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/lima.htm

Be aware of petty thieves and pickpocket / bagsnatching activity around the airport. A guy attempted to pick my pocket just outside the airport building entrance not long ago - looking like a native traveler, carry on, stumbling a bit whilst looking at his mobile, started zigging at me and i knew what was next - hip-checked him and sent him on his way.
Old Oct 9, 15, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers! I will check the website. Do you know if the lounge access for a child is the same amount?
Old Oct 10, 15, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
There is no fee for entering the airport. Just have your tickets available.
Someone was probably thinking of the departure tax which is now included in ticket prices even though the windows for paying the tax may still exist at the airport. Please correct if wrong. Departure taxes are still charged at some airports in SA.
Old Oct 10, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Just as a heads up the lounges are a dump at least they were last year. I visited the VIP lounge at the end of May 2014 as a then OWE and it awful. It was under some sort of renovation that was completely exposed to the open part of the lounge, the AC was barely working, and the internet was horrendously slow (when you could even connect).

If I were with a kid I would strongly consider hotel options because that lounge has a potential to get old fast (assuming they haven't improved it dramatically in the past 16 months.
Old Oct 10, 15, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Just as a heads up the lounges are a dump at least they were last year. I visited the VIP lounge at the end of May 2014 as a then OWE and it awful. It was under some sort of renovation that was completely exposed to the open part of the lounge, the AC was barely working, and the internet was horrendously slow (when you could even connect).

If I were with a kid I would strongly consider hotel options because that lounge has a potential to get old fast (assuming they haven't improved it dramatically in the past 16 months.
I had the same experience just a few weeks ago- dirty, no internet, terribly crowded to the point where you literally could not find a seat, no food to speak off (not that I would have eaten there anyway).

We stayed overnight at the Sheraton which is about a $15 cab ride away. Nice international class hotel, 7000 starpoints.
Old Oct 10, 15, 10:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MarcelaG View Post
Thank you for the answers! I will check the website. Do you know if the lounge access for a child is the same amount?
Depending on the age of the child, most lounges would allow a young child in gratis.
Old Oct 13, 15, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Depending on the age of the child, most lounges would allow a young child in gratis.
This information should be listed for each lounge individually on the PP website (lounge finder search, which does not require PP membership to check locations, hours, facilities, rules, etc.).
Old Oct 14, 15, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk MarcelaG.

Originally Posted by drminn View Post
I had the same experience just a few weeks ago- dirty, no internet, terribly crowded to the point where you literally could not find a seat, no food to speak off (not that I would have eaten there anyway).

We stayed overnight at the Sheraton which is about a $15 cab ride away. Nice international class hotel, 7000 starpoints.
I stayed at the Sheraton as well during a layover. We did explore a bit before going to sleep for a few hours- was fun, even got my toes in the water. Taking a taxi might be a good idea if you go off-airport, as the drivers there are insane.

They do have Inca Kola in the lounges, and was able to get a Pisco Sour early too :yawn:

As this is specific to a destination, we'll relocate this post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 14, 15, 9:46 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
As above, there is no fee to enter the airport and the airport tax is now included in your tix.

Lounge ot hotel? Maybe give us flight times and what you have to access the lounges ($$, PP, FF elite, Biz class tix?).
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:11 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Hi!

It is correct that the Lima Departure tax is now included on tickets (and has been for some years now), but if you are tecnically in transit (international to international) and not departing, then it is not included on the ticket (as it doesn't apply to passengers in transit).

As to whether they will charge you this (if you exit) when reentering the secure area, I can't say for sure. The international departure tax is US$30.74.
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
Hi!

It is correct that the Lima Departure tax is now included on tickets (and has been for some years now), but if you are tecnically in transit (international to international) and not departing, then it is not included on the ticket (as it doesn't apply to passengers in transit).

As to whether they will charge you this (if you exit) when reentering the secure area, I can't say for sure. The international departure tax is US$30.74.
We were in transit (to Cuzco) and were not charged any departure tax at the airport when we reentered the next day for our continuing flight to Cuzco.
Old Oct 15, 15, 5:05 pm
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Originally Posted by drminn View Post
We were in transit (to Cuzco) and were not charged any departure tax at the airport when we reentered the next day for our continuing flight to Cuzco.
Yes, then it would be a connection to domestic and the tax would be included in the ticket. If the airline is mentioning that there might be a fee to reenter, then I thought the case would be that the connection is international.
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
Hi!

A friend and I had an overnight in LIM going from EZE to MEX. We decided to leave the terminal, and came back the next morning. We were aware we might be charged the fee but we weren't. Not sure where we'd of paid it either.

Search this Thread