Reload this Page >

Question about booking Star Peru / Peruvian Airlines Flights

Old Aug 28, 15, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold

Hi,
I will be traveling to Peru in March 2016 for 10 days. As most tourists do, I intend to visit Macchu Picchu via Cuzco.

I have done extensive research and determined that flying on Star Peru or Peruvian Airlines would be the best choice for my times / budget.

What I am wondering is: How much time before the travel date is cheapest / usual procedure to book the domestic flights.

Right now, the Star Peru flights LIM-CUZ RT are USD 94 Each way, which is just about the same as LAN.

I have read that Star's fares go as low as USD 60 RT and I was wondering whether it would be best to just book the domestic legs at the higher price, or take the gamble and wait to see if the prices will decrease.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Old Aug 28, 15, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA
The answer to this question is standard for all airlines--that is, it all depends on fare buckets and the number of spaces allocated to each. The fact that you "have read" tickets go as low as $60 may be a one off and not the rule. Sure, if true, you are saving $30. But would you gamble on your vacation just to save a mere $30? $94 is a great price--not the greatest, but I will deff. buy. Good luck and safe travels!
Old Aug 28, 15, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks, that was my exact hunch -- just book to set it in stone. My itinerary is so popular that there is sooo much info, so I was trying to see if I could save a few bucks from the experts.
Old Aug 31, 15, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I would also recommend reconsidering LAN. My understanding is that they can be more reliable depending on weather. When I was booking our vacation, I remember reading that LAN flies aircraft with more advanced avionics, so they are able to fly under more conditions than other airlines and less likely to be delayed due to weather, which can happen with some frequency.

I can't vouch for the validity of this info, but I know I read it somewhere. Wasn't an issue during my trip so no personal experience either.
Old Sep 7, 15, 3:47 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by Distilled View Post
I would also recommend reconsidering LAN. My understanding is that they can be more reliable depending on weather. When I was booking our vacation, I remember reading that LAN flies aircraft with more advanced avionics, so they are able to fly under more conditions than other airlines and less likely to be delayed due to weather, which can happen with some frequency.

I can't vouch for the validity of this info, but I know I read it somewhere. Wasn't an issue during my trip so no personal experience either.
The info is correct. I flew from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco in August some years ago on Avianca. My flight was cancelled and I was re-scheduled to fly on the next day (no accommodation etc. provided because the cancellation was due to "weather"). The only airline operating to Cusco was LAN, which uses the same aircraft as Avianca on this route but is more reliable.
Old Sep 7, 15, 9:55 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I an thinking it is because the Lan pilots have certification for instrument landing at CUZ while the other airline's pilots may not?

Search this Thread