FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   Resident Only Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1685460-resident-only-fares.html)

allynchica Jun 5, 2015 8:28 am

Resident Only Fares

I'm hoping I can circumvent doing a bunch of research here - my husband (who is a Peruvian citizen) and I are taking a trip in January of 2016, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me on resident-only fares for flying between Lima, Cuzco, and Chiclayo. I've done a little bit of looking on TACA, LAN, and Avianca, but even reading the fine print I can't be sure what ticket I'd be getting. The last time, I believe we flew with LAN and bought our tickets separately since I am not a resident.

Are there only certain airlines that offer resident fares, or do they all? Which are cheaper and more reliable? Is it possible for me to get around paying the tourist hike in price?

I've also heard that buying there could be cheaper, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SammySpade Jun 5, 2015 11:39 am

Originally Posted by allynchica (Post 24923535)
I'm hoping I can circumvent doing a bunch of research here - my husband (who is a Peruvian citizen) and I are taking a trip in January of 2016, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me on resident-only fares for flying between Lima, Cuzco, and Chiclayo. I've done a little bit of looking on TACA, LAN, and Avianca, but even reading the fine print I can't be sure what ticket I'd be getting. The last time, I believe we flew with LAN and bought our tickets separately since I am not a resident.

Are there only certain airlines that offer resident fares, or do they all? Which are cheaper and more reliable? Is it possible for me to get around paying the tourist hike in price?

I've also heard that buying there could be cheaper, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peruvian Airlines & Starperu don't have separate resident/foreigner prices. I didn't think Avianca had different prices anymore but maybe I'm misremembering.

If you want to book on LAN, you can use a peruvian IP and get the resident fare, even using your US passport as ID. And then you'd need to check-in/print boarding passes at home and you not check a bag. So when you get to the airport you go right to the gate. Checking in with an airport agent is where they'd be likely to catch on that you're a foreigner and try to charge you the $178 penalty.

bingocallerb22 Jun 5, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi. Just for clarity there is no such thing as "the tourist hike in price". There are fares for everyone, bought by everyone including Peruvians and residents of Peru. Then there are limited number of seats sold at discount fares for residents. When these discounted fares are sold out, everyone pays the same non-discount fare, tourist or resident or green five toed sloth.

Your hubby needs to be a resident of Peru no matter if he is Peruvian or not. These are resident discount fares. There are non-Peruvians with residency (with Carnet de
Extranjeria) who qualify.

Maybe this will help you avoid having to do any research?

andreadbc Jun 8, 2015 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SammySpade (Post 24924560)
I didn't think Avianca had different prices anymore but maybe I'm misremembering.

Avianca restricts to residents-only the Promo and Econo fares:
*between Lima, Cusco and Puerto Maldonado
*between Arequipa and Cusco
*between Juliaca and Lima

HasteFlier Jun 18, 2015 12:45 am

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22 (Post 24926221)
Your hubby needs to be a resident of Peru no matter if he is Peruvian or not. These are resident discount fares. There are non-Peruvians with residency (with Carnet de
Extranjeria) who qualify.

I do think this is the theoretical rule, but I've taken dozens of flights on promotional fares in Peru with my D.N.I (peruvian national card) which clearly states an address abroad. I went to the check in desk in almost all occasions - never had the slightest issue.

I can confirm Carnet de Extranjeria works as well, as many trips were with family members that are residents.