FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   Lima/Cuzco Restaurants (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1659499-lima-cuzco-restaurants.html)

Distilled Mar 2, 2015 3:50 am

Lima/Cuzco Restaurants

Hi all-

I have looked and only found some occasional threads talking about restaurants in Lima and or Cuzco. With all the great food there, I'm amazed there is not more discussion.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for either of these cities. I don't care much about cost, am looking for great Peruvian cuisine.

So far in Cuzco, I have been looking at Chicha, Cicciolina, Pachapapa, and Greens Organic. Does anyone know if Cicciolina is Peruvian food or other cuisine? Can't find the menu online. Also looking at Marcelo Batata and Limo but can't decide.

For Lima, going to try to go to Chez Wong, Central for the tasting menu, and a lunch at the restaurant at Museo Larco. But need another good dinner, have been looking at Amaz, Pescado Capitales, Huaca Pucllama, or Malabar.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

SammySpade Mar 2, 2015 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Distilled (Post 24438776)
Hi all-

I have looked and only found some occasional threads talking about restaurants in Lima and or Cuzco. With all the great food there, I'm amazed there is not more discussion.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for either of these cities. I don't care much about cost, am looking for great Peruvian cuisine.

So far in Cuzco, I have been looking at Chicha, Cicciolina, Pachapapa, and Greens Organic. Does anyone know if Cicciolina is Peruvian food or other cuisine? Can't find the menu online. Also looking at Marcelo Batata and Limo but can't decide.

For Lima, going to try to go to Chez Wong, Central for the tasting menu, and a lunch at the restaurant at Museo Larco. But need another good dinner, have been looking at Amaz, Pescado Capitales, Huaca Pucllama, or Malabar.

Thanks!

I cant comment much on Cuzco since I've only ever gone to random places there for which I cant remember the names.
All the places you named in Lima are fine; they're the typical higher end places visitors go. I haven't been to chez wong or museo larco, but I've been to the rest. Amaz is something different than the typical food from Lima but I can't say I was overly impressed. I like El Pichito in Breña more for food from the jungle. I'd go to Punto Azul for ceviche over Pescados Capitales. I'm sure you're already familiar with Astrid y Gaston. I like Las Tejas, IK, and Saqra in Miraflores. The food at the Hotel Bolivar is solid as well if you're downtown (and its a good place for a pisco sour). There are a bunch of good restaurants but depends how much time you have, where you're willing to go and if you only want more upscale/known places (Richards and El Rincon que no conoces are good, but most people aren't gonna go to these random places in Lince).

Distilled Mar 2, 2015 6:38 am

Lima/Cuzco Restaurants

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised to hear that these are mostly tourist places. I have no bias towards higher end food only, I would love to try places that more locals think of as great food. I'm willing to go out of the way if necessary. My wife and I love good food, and we typically try to find some lesser known local places on our trips as they sometimes have better food than the well known restaurants. Any suggestions for places I may never have heard of are welcome!

FrogProf Mar 2, 2015 11:38 am

Lima

Three highly ranked (and high end) restaurants that I like (all in Miraflores) are Central, Astrid y Gastón, and La Rosa Nautica. For less high end, I find the ceviche at Mama Olla (near Parque Kennedy in Miraflores) to be superb.

Cuzco

My favorite restaurants in Cuzco include Jacks (great breakfast), Nuna Raymi (try the duck!), Café Orighas, and Fallen Angel (steaks). All of these are within a few blocks of the central plaza.

SuperDudley Mar 3, 2015 1:10 pm

We really enjoyed MAP Cafe in Cuzco. It's located at the Museum of Art. Super delicious, but tasting menu only.

SometimesFlyer Mar 5, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Distilled (Post 24438776)
Hi all-

Thanks!

Saw your post above as well as follow-up. I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak as to what "locals think of as great food" but happy to chime in re a couple places. Also note the ones you listed mostly are pretty high end places and I'm not certain how representative of typical Peruvian food.

First off, Lima. Been to some of the places you listed.
- C Wong. What I would call "Chin-ruvian" food. I'm from SF where there is great chinese food. Authentic. At C Wong, depending on where you are from and expectations, you may end up either very impressed or kind of so-so. The cantonese-style fresh cerviche is great!
- The restaurant at the Larco is good. Nice garden area too.

Want to try something that feels pretty local, not a restaurant but a great sandwich place that is open at night too? La Lucha by the park. I think it ranks up there as one of the all time best meat-between-bread places, together with Schwartz's in Montreal and Katz's in NYC.

Cusco.
- AyG's Chicha is nice. Also try cuy from one of the more local place. Such as Kusikuy.
- Random idea. Again local. Game to try tripe and other organ meats? Maria Angola is seems to be the place to be. Simple place and I had a good experience.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/peru/cuz...a-maria-angola

Hope this helps,
SF

JohnnyColombia Mar 5, 2015 2:36 pm

For Lima I'd second Punto Azul, and warn that Huaca Pucllana is overpriced and not good

My faves:

Go to Restaurante Vivaldi in San Isidro for one of their buffet dances or the set menu in the piano lounge. Try the Surquillos neighbourhood on Saturday morning for pan con chicharrón. Go out drinking then get a cab at midnight to Glotons in Av Comandante Espinar for anticuchos and frozen lemonade. Go to Wong, eat a whole chicken, dip it in ají Wong. Go to Bar Cordano in the centre, don't look at the menu, just eat whatever they recommend.

So much food, so little time

linglingfool Mar 5, 2015 9:47 pm

In Cuzco, we enjoyed a few places, but one in particular was Gustitos de Loli. It can be a bit of a walk depending on where you're coming from, and portions are a bit on the smaller side, but if you're craving fresh pasta, the flavors are spot on.

Villavic Mar 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Thought there was only a Chicha in AQP, but yes I just found the Cusco Chicha restaurant page. I'll try it in may ;)