Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Buying Claro/Movistar SIM from the US?

Buying Claro/Movistar SIM from the US?

Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: rr ua hyatt marriott spg
T-Mobile is pretty abysmal in lima IME. Spotty at best. Slow when it works. Ive used them overseas extensively & its great when it works but peru doesnt seem to be covered well by tmobile’s partnerships.

Originally Posted by desi
Apologies if this sound bit simpleton.

Why not just use Tmobile?
You have free data and SMS even before your plane finish taxing.

I am not associated with Tmobile in anyway (other than a long time user) but with lack of contract, low rates and no roaming fees, it is no brainer to switch to Tmobile
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
I think people are possibly not realizing what having a local SIM card means. To me, it means one has made a little bit of an investment in the visit to Peru. And I think Peruvians think that as well. When I give my Peruvian number to a new acquaintance I think it is more likely they will think it is worth the effort to get to know me, whereas if I gave an international number it is likely I will be seen as someone just passing through.

The local SIM has more value in interaction with strangers as well. If I give my local number to the lavenderia, they will text me that my laundry is ready. If I supply an international number, they likely will not.

I have visited roughly 60 countries. I generally get a local SIM if my visit will be ten days or longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.