FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   StarPeru from Pucallpa-Lima arrive 2 PM. Risky to book flight to Cuzco hours after? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1628681-starperu-pucallpa-lima-arrive-2-pm-risky-book-flight-cuzco-hours-after.html)

bjornedstrom Nov 14, 2014 1:22 pm

StarPeru from Pucallpa-Lima arrive 2 PM. Risky to book flight to Cuzco hours after?

Hello.

On Thursday 18 December I have a StarPeru flight that is planned to land in LIM at 2 PM, flying from Pucallpa.

I would ideally like to get to Cuzco the same day. What are the risks of delays/cancellations and other troubles if I were to book the last LAN flight (I think that was 5:40 PM)?

The main worries would be if the StarPeru flight is severly delayed or cancelled, or if the Cuzco flight is cancelled.

Anyone have a feeling of what this risk would be? Likely? very likely? Not very likely?... I have never been in Peru before so I'm not familiar with how common problems are.

How expensive is it typically to buy LAN tickets at the airport, for the same day? I can't decide if I should do that or book in advance (depends on the risk I guess)

Thanks

Mike Jacoubowsky Nov 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by bjornedstrom (Post 23842648)
Hello.

On Thursday 18 December I have a StarPeru flight that is planned to land in LIM at 2 PM, flying from Pucallpa.

I would ideally like to get to Cuzco the same day. What are the risks of delays/cancellations and other troubles if I were to book the last LAN flight (I think that was 5:40 PM)?

The main worries would be if the StarPeru flight is severly delayed or cancelled, or if the Cuzco flight is cancelled.

Anyone have a feeling of what this risk would be? Likely? very likely? Not very likely?... I have never been in Peru before so I'm not familiar with how common problems are.

How expensive is it typically to buy LAN tickets at the airport, for the same day? I can't decide if I should do that or book in advance (depends on the risk I guess)

Thanks

Can't speak to the issues regarding reliability, but I noticed that, for the LIM-CUS tickets I've been looking at, exchange privileges are pretty liberal. Some of that may be because us foreigners aren't even allowed to buy the cheap tickets; they're reserved specifically for residents.

IncaTrails Nov 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Arriving at 2pm is more than enough for a 540 departure. More so, I would actually book Lan's 420 flight to Cusco. In the unlikely scenario that your flight from Pucallpa is delayed, Lan can put you on the 520 or even the 540 flight you mention. Note that upon arrival in LIM you would have to go to check in counters to get BPs for Cuzco. Even so, 2 hours is more than enough and therefore, you could safely book in advance.

If you have not booked your Pucallpa flight yet: book everything through the same carrier. PCL-LIM in the morning and LIM-Cusco right after. That way you can have BPs all the way from PCL to Cusco and make matters much simpler.

Good luck!

Villavic Nov 16, 2014 6:31 am

Originally Posted by IncaTrails (Post 23848568)
Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Arriving at 2pm is more than enough for a 5:40 departure.

I agree. The risk is that since it'll be on december, rainy season has already started, and chances of delayed flights increase. It's always better to fly in the morning, rain chances on afternoons are bigger.

bingocallerb22 Nov 16, 2014 7:58 am

Hi bjornedstrom, welcome to FT!

Of course, delayed flights are possible on any airline. Do not know Star's statistics but you have built in some flex. I do not see any advantage to waiting til at the LIM airport to buy your LAN tickets. It will only mean the lower fare buckets might be sold out. Better IMHO to buy now when there is a sale of 10% Peru flights on the LAN USA site (until November 30). If you are delayed LAN will put you on the next flight.