Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

LIM domestic check in time

Old Aug 26, 14, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

We have a LAN 6:05am LIM to CIX flight on Wednesday Sept 3 and was planning to get to the airport around 4am. But I read an older post which said it is very crowded with long lines at that time. Should we get there even earlier? If so how early? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 14, 7:02 pm

If you are not checking bags and are able to print your boarding pass before hand, 4am is more than enough (I have done 430-445). The reason for long lines/crowded is due to morning rush hour--only 1 runway for 8-10 domestic flights between the 545 and 615am time slot and 3-5 international deps/arrivals (see airport website). But, if checking bags, shoot for a time between 330-4. Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 14, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks IncaTrails! We are checking bags so we'll go early as you recommend. Wow, with that many flights it's a wonder why there is only one runway operational. We are staying at the airport hotel so I think we could print boarding passes there.

Will there be a place for breakfast once beyond security and inside the domestic terminal? I think I remember reading the security line can take quite a bit of time.
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:33 pm

Its a constant back-and-forth issue that of the second runway. But in all reality, LIM as it is now is too small for the traffic it currently holds.
For boarding passes - you may print them at the hotel but still may have to hop on line at the airport for a review of documents and weighting of bags. I'm not 100% sure (sorry!) whether it is as easy as dropping-off baggage and heading to the gate. Once with BPs in hand, if you find yourself with a bit of time, the area before security has good options for breakfast and sit down (e.g Starbucks). But not to worry as there are some quick options inside.
Old Aug 28, 14, 8:31 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Yes, there is a express line if only dropping bags, there is a sign to it, but easier to just ask the staff directing lines to point you to it.
Not so sure about the slowness of domestic security, I find it rapid fast, they process like 5 people per minute!
Domestic airside, there is a small place to sit and eat and a take out place.
Enjoy the Sipan museum at CIX, great!
Old Aug 28, 14, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info re: lines and airside eats. It's been a while since we've traveled in South America and have forgotten how some of the major airports, Quito comes to mind, are overcrowded with extremely slow lines.

We unfortunately will not have enough time to see the Sipan museum at CIX...next time!
Old Aug 29, 14, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ovenbird View Post
Thanks for the additional info re: lines and airside eats. It's been a while since we've traveled in South America and have forgotten how some of the major airports, Quito comes to mind, are overcrowded with extremely slow lines.

We unfortunately will not have enough time to see the Sipan museum at CIX...next time!
Quito has a new airport, nice, and things move along quickly.
Old Sep 27, 14, 6:04 am
Original Poster

We're back and this is what we did. We stayed at the airport Ramada, printed boarding passes, dropped off our luggage at the airport about 3 hrs before the flight, went back to the Ramada for a leisurely complimentary breakfast, and then went to the airport about 2 hrs before the flight. Surprisingly no long lines. The Ramada was pricey but convenient. We did this twice...once for a domestic LAN flight and once for our international flight home to ORD via MIA. Thanks for everyone's help! BTW, Kuelap was my favorite day of the trip.
Old Sep 27, 14, 7:54 am

We're back and this is what we did. We stayed at the airport Ramada, printed boarding passes, dropped off our luggage at the airport about 3 hrs before the flight, went back to the Ramada for a leisurely complimentary breakfast, and then went to the airport about 2 hrs before the flight. Surprisingly no long lines. The Ramada was pricey but convenient. We did this twice...once for a domestic LAN flight and once for our international flight home to ORD via MIA. Thanks for everyone's help! BTW, Kuelap was my favorite day of the trip.
Thanks for the feedback, useful. I love Kuelap too. Some recent work is suggesting it was more an administrative center than a fortress. Did the guide remove a stone so you could see the skulls buried inside the walls?
Old Sep 27, 14, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Skulls buried inside the walls? Argh, we missed that since we did not have a site guide. We were on a birding tour and Kuelap was a quickie cultural stop. I would definitely go back if we make a return visit to northern Peru. We also very much enjoyed Cumbe Mayo...amazing engineering!
Old Sep 28, 14, 8:01 am

Skulls buried inside the walls? Argh, we missed that since we did not have a site guide. We were on a birding tour and Kuelap was a quickie cultural stop. I would definitely go back if we make a return visit to northern Peru. We also very much enjoyed Cumbe Mayo...amazing engineering!
Agreed. After Cumbe de Mayo and Cataratas Gotca (3rd highest in the world) go soak in the hotsprings Banos del Inka. There are lots of lesser known sites in the North, without the crowds. Do go back and just ask, be pleased to help.
Old Oct 1, 14, 3:36 pm

We had a very long check-in line when we flew into LIM from CUZ on our way to IQT. Maybe we did something wrong, but we had to exit through the baggage claim and then clear security again. The line moved pretty quickly, but it was easily over a 1/4 mile long.
Old Oct 1, 14, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SuperDudley View Post
We had a very long check-in line when we flew into LIM from CUZ on our way to IQT. Maybe we did something wrong, but we had to exit through the baggage claim and then clear security again. The line moved pretty quickly, but it was easily over a 1/4 mile long.
Yes, it is amazing how fast that line moves! And it is not like they are being lax, the confiscated items bins get full quickly.

Search this Thread