Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Hiking Areriquipa's mountains.

Old Jun 27, 14, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

Anyone hike/climb the mountains around Aerequipa (Ampato/Chachani/El Misti)?

Wanting to do this in a month, although can't find anyone to go with me (wonder why?). If anyone has any experience with the different agencies there and if they're good with piecing a group together with walk up traffic as a single is cost prohibitive.
Old Jun 29, 14, 10:15 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I see no replies... for sure, lots of hiking up the mountains there. I am surprised you'd have info it is expensive to do so. I am guessing by some minor searching there, you could get someone to take you up cheap. I do not have a recommendation of who, sorry.

Add: Thinking more about this, I seem to recall there are some local hiking clubs, maybe you can connect to one? The guy who found that mummy would know, he is one block off the plaza on the road up the historic church site (but avoid his tours, his "fame" has influenced his pricing).

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Jun 29, 14 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 29, 14, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Thnx Bingo. A few years back, I visited Juanita in the museum/monastery. Kinda want to see where she was found. The "Big 4" of that area (Coropuna, Ampato, Chachani, El Misti) are not "technical" climbs, in fact all of them are very short as they all have roads that lead pretty close to base camp. I haven't climbed anything about 12k, and nothing technical before, surely no "Nevadas" where an ice pick and crampons are required. I'll keep googling. I've found a couple that will do Coropuna for $380/person, which is all inclusive sans sleeping bag and backpack (I've got.) Have a friend who is never "solid" when it comes to traveling (she often backs out at last min) who has committed to go, so I think with a party of (2) and flexible days, I should be alright. Surely an El Misti is an easy gig to get, but my heart is set on a 20k+ foot peak with glacial tops. El Misti and Chachani both fall just short in both categories.
Old Jun 29, 14, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Apologies - I have no useful info to add here. Just wanted to say good luck! It sounds like a really neat trip. Hope it all goes well for you!
Old Oct 8, 14, 10:22 am
Original Poster

WEll, it is pretty near impossible to find a "pickup group" for the higher peaks, in case anyone is interested. For good reason too, the (2) peaks above 20,000 ft that are ice covered in the region (and both are a full day's drive away) are Coropuna and Ampato. People who may have small groups are unwilling to take a risk on an outsider because they canot verify your physical condition (acclimatization, endurance) and if you get sick or tired or ill, 1/2 way up, the entire group must either suffer or return.

Agencies (and there are now hundreds vs the dozens that were there the last time I was there 10 years ago) that will put together a hike like this are hesitant to even start a list and float the idea out there to others.

After 4 days of nonstop agency hopping, I met with the guy who led the journey to Ampato that discovered Juanita (not the archeologist, but the guide.) He suggested public transportation to Pichu Pichu and a hike back to a town (Chiguata) 25 miles away (and bus back) as that gets you out of the 7000 ft altitude of AQP and into the 15,000+ altitudes to acclimate. Was a great idea, and I tried it the next day, but that day the bus didn't run to the Pichu Pichu area. Ended up taking a minibus to the town 1/2 way, and thumbing it to the entrance to the Salinas/Aguada Blancas National Reserve (within 10 min, a private bus stopped and picked me and another up...it was an Andean band going to play a gig at Lake Salinas. Toatal cost for the rt bus, $3.00 soles. I gave the bus driver on the band's bus another $10 soles for his generosity in picking me up.

Finally a small group had formed for Chacahni, a 20,000 footer just outside of AQP. Our group was 7 plus a guide, 3 from 1 small group, 3 from another, and myself. After hitting basecamp at 17,030 feet, one member of each of the 2 smaller groups had gotten altitude sickness, one pretty seriously. We decided to sleep there anyway and judge the next AM (3am) if we wished to continue. Overnight a snow/ice storm had come. Between that and the (2) sick people, we decided to pack it up and return to AQP. So while this trip, due to group cost me just under $100, a small group to one of the "big" peaks would have cost $1250-$1500 (then divide that by number of group members, limited to 3-4 max) with a much longer journey. I can agree, that without a pre-formed group, such an expedition would be wise not to take on untested outsiders.

So lesson learned, solo is fine for the basic hikes (the canyons, El Misti, Pichu Pichu, or even Chachani,) but do not attempt to get a pickup group for the nevados as there is far too real of a risk of failure to the other people.

Oh, and those minbusses that people take to get around from town to town...60 people in one for a 90 min ride is very very very uncomfortable!

Search this Thread