FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   Any major issues with this itinerary? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1583600-any-major-issues-itinerary.html)

utl567 Jun 7, 2014 5:05 pm

Any major issues with this itinerary?

Just wanted to make sure we have no potential issues or are missing any must sees while in the area. Also looking for ideas for a couple of the days.

Day 1: Fly into and quick overnight in Lima

Day 2: Lima to Cusco. Arriving mid morning. Walk around eat/drink/explore. Need suggestions for other stuff.

Day 3: Open, need suggestions.

Day 4: Motorcycle full day tour to Sacred Valley

Days 5-8: 4 Day Salkantay hike ending with Macchu Picchu tour plus climbing Huayna Picchu and back to Cusco that night.

Day 9: Day tour around Cusco of local ruins/sites.

Day 10: Motorcycle ride #2, more off road/adventure riding/ half day.

Day 11: Cusco to Lima, arriving mid day, likely staying in miraflores, haven't decided specifics yet.

Day 12: Lima, need suggestions

Day 13: Lima, need suggestions, flight out at midnight.

Thoughts? Pretty much nothing on the books for the 2 days in Lima yet.

Thanks

RustyC Jun 7, 2014 11:48 pm

Dunno your age or tolerance for high altitudes, but remember that Cuzco is twice as high as Denver and the standard advice is to take it easy the first day or two, especially if flying there from low altitudes. In my own case I managed, but the difference in windedness from the same exertion was noticeable. I stayed in a hilly section near the center and learned to take the taxi rather than walk uphill back to the guesthouse.

There are lots of travel agents in Cuzco offering daytrips to nearby ruins, and the town itself has a nice atmosphere. I spent a day watching some costumed festival and parade on the plaza, then dropping by the chocolate museum and watching the Peru-Colombia soccer game with a VERY enthusiastic crowd at a sports bar.

As for Lima, it's a great food city and I like the Gaston Acurio places like La Mar (ceviches) as well as going around the record & antique shops near the center. Not for everyone, I know. Miraflores is the best area to stay, and walking along the malecon above the cliffs can be very scenic. The Larco Museum is well worth it (and a beautiful setting). Also took the open-air double-decker bus to the Pachacamac Ruins near Chorrillos, which was fun...I s'pose u could also do that via motorcycle, though motorcycles aren't really practical closer into town. There's also the old center, palacio del gobierno, Gran Hotel Bolivar, etc. that can be seen on a daytime walking tour but are probably shy of a must.

U can even go surfing off the coast at Miraflores (and many locals do), but the waters are polluted.

linglingfool Jun 9, 2014 8:27 pm

My biggest concern would be your visit to MP. I'm not sure how the Salkantay trek compares to the Inca trail, but most of the people we saw were pretty wiped post-trek. Huayna Picchu is a non-trivial hike on its own, so I worry that you might be too beat to enjoy your time there.

Also, what time do you plan on arriving and leaving MP? I would think a same-day return to Cuzco probably means a ~5 PM departure, so want to make sure you have enough time to enjoy MP without rushing through it.

As far as Lima, I would second the Larco Museum suggestion (and make sure not to miss the small erotic museum adjacent to the bigger building). There are lots of reasonably priced walking and bike tours through various districts that originate in Miraflores that are worth looking into. In particular, I would recommend a visit to Barranco (guided or otherwise).