Wiki Posts
Search

Help with East Coast to LIM itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EMT-P
Help with East Coast to LIM itinerary

I'm trying to help my brother arrange his flights for a trip to MP. Neither of us have experience flying to South America. He lives near RDU but can fly from anywhere from JFK down to IAD. His departure should be 7/30-31 and return 8/7-8

Here is what I found so far:

Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Lima (LIM) - Wed, Jul 30

Jetblue Airways Corporation Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - Wed, Jul 30
Jetblue Airways Corporation 1125 Dep: 11:29AM Arr: 1:32PM 2h 3m Embraer RJ-190 Economy (Z)
Layover in FLL 3h 58m

Jetblue Airways Corporation Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Lima (LIM) - Wed, Jul 30
Jetblue Airways Corporation 1825 Dep: 5:30PM Arr: 10:22PM 5h 52m Airbus A320 Economy (Z)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $315.50
Total cost for 1 passenger $315.50

Then LIM-CUZ via Peruvian for $108 + $29.46 tax in W (must be purchased one in country)

Return from CUZ-LIM same as above but in reverse

The tough part has been finding a reasonable flight back to the US. Everything I've seen on the return is over $1,300. I search ITA within 250 miles of IAD.

So getting there and between LIM and CUZ is reasonable but getting back home is expensive.

Any problems with what I have so far?

Any suggestions for the return?

Should we lock in the RDU-LIM now as a OW and look for deals on the return or could a RT be better?

TIA,
John
Old May 1, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Make sure your LIM/CUZ isn't a Peru "resident" fare. If it is, you will be in for a nasty surprise when you try and check in / board.

Note that many airlines will have a much better RT pricing than OW pricing in/out of South America, and that you might find RDU/CUZ all on one ticket might be your best bet - and maybe B6 has joint fares with other local carriers to assist.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:05 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would imagine Jet Blue would not charge you 1600USD for a RT, have you checked it.

Eastbay1K, does Peruvian have resident only fares?
Old May 1, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Looking at ITA, it is giving me all AA with a lowest RT of $1,388 for RDU-CUZ.

On B6, I can get the same dates RDU-LIM for $960 RT but would still need LIM-CUZ and back.

I guess from a "keep it simple" POV, the AA RT would be best. Of course, as a true FTer, I'm always looking for an advantage!
Old May 2, 2014, 6:10 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Have you tried looking for an open jaw RDU CUZ | LIM RDU or RDU LIM | CUZ RDU with a view to just buying a one way between LIM and CUZ or vice versa?

Might price out differently.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Well, I am still wondering what is wrong with the OPs original proposal? Jet Blue for $960 and Peruvian for $130. Eastbay didn't say don't buy, he just warned to check the terms and conditions. Peruvian (as the OP indicated) is point of sale, it is not resident only (but always check the ticket terms). Some problem paying Peruvian?

Last edited by bingocallerb22; May 2, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Well, I am still wondering what is wrong with the OPs original proposal? Jet Blue for $960 and Peruvian for $130. Eastbay didn't say don't buy, he just warned to check the terms and conditions. Peruvian (as the OP indicated) is point of sale, it is not resident only (but always check the ticket terms). Some problem paying Peruvian?
The only problem is finding a reasonable price for the return from LIM. So far, everything that I've found makes booking as a RT less expensive than two OWs.

All suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
My biggest concern would be waiting to book until arriving for a flight during high season -- W may be long gone by then, negating the value of not pre-booking.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I gave the info to my brother. He has a friend with whom he can fly free to MIA. He is going to book his RT starting/ending there for just over $1,000.

As always, thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.