Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Lima hotel advice: Sheraton or Crowne Plaza for 2 nights?

Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

We have a 2 night stay coming up over a weekend in April. I'm trying to choose between two hotel options.

1. Sheraton Lima

2250 starpoints per night (weekend rate) including 25% Gold award rebate

Pros:
Probability of suite upgrade is good. I am SPG Gold.
Club access likely

Cons:
Not so nice part of town. (Not a deal breaker, just a fact. We stay in plenty of sketchy places.)

2. Crowne Plaza

5000 IHG points booked via PointsBreak. I am IHG Plat.

Pros:
Nicer part of town
Nicer property

Cons:
Unlikely to get a suite
Assume no club access

Notes:
1. My SPG 25% award rebate is expiring. So if I don't use it on this trip, I will most likely not use it.
2. We have 2 toddlers in tow. Very experienced toddlers, but still toddlers. So we're not nightlife people.
3. We value space, be it a suite or a larger room.
4. It's a redeye flight home, so a late checkout on the last day would be nice.

These both seem like really good deals. So that's why I'm looking for opinions...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On my last two stays at the Crowne Plaza Lima, I was able to redeem the normal amount of points for a suite. Don't know why, but it showed as one of the room types, so I went ahead and selected it. Worth checking to see if it shows up for your dates.

Depending on what you want to do and see, I wouldn't mind staying at the Sheraton. There's a nice shopping mall (with food court) next to it, and it's far easier to experience the museums and sights downtown.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikew99
On my last two stays at the Crowne Plaza Lima, I was able to redeem the normal amount of points for a suite. Don't know why, but it showed as one of the room types, so I went ahead and selected it. Worth checking to see if it shows up for your dates.
I don't recall seeing that as an option on the PointsBreak booking. And at any rate, it's a moot point now, as the 5000 / night PointsBreak rate is now gone.

Really, the only reason this became a question for me is that IHG included the Lima CP in this edition of PointBreaks. If the choice were 2250 / night SPG or 25000 / night IHG, it would be a MUCH easier decision for me.

Thanks for the comments about the Sheraton. I'm probably leaning toward that one, but I really hate passing up a PointsBreak hotel because it seems rare that my travel plans coincide with them.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why are you assuming that a SPG Gold on an award booking has a good probability of an upgrade to a suite with club access (for the whole family) likely? These are NOT benefits of being SPG Gold (even if paying rack rate), only Plat.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why are you assuming that a SPG Gold on an award booking has a good probability of an upgrade to a suite with club access (for the whole family) likely? These are NOT benefits of being SPG Gold (even if paying rack rate), only Plat.
Have you ever read the reviews for this property????

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-3.html

Last edited by hobo13; Apr 6, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
i'd say an important aspect is what you want to do with your time in Lima.
If you want to spend time in "nice" parts of town such as Miraflores, San Isidro or Barranco, you'll be able to do a lot on foot from the Crowne Plaza, and it will be rather easy to get around with taxis. It will take more time and (at some times) traffic jams to get there from the Sheraton. There's the Metropolitano (dedicated-lane bus) that can take you from the nearby mall to all of those places rather quickly, but it can get crowded.

On the other hand; there are nice things to do around the Sheraton. Granted, it's not the best or safest part of town, but there are both places to visit and very good places to go out that are quite close - some of them are among my favorite for a night out in Lima.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

To bring closure to this thread:

We stayed the Sheraton. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite with club access and buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Got a late check-out at 7pm. Probably the best treatment I've ever received as a lowly Gold.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
To bring closure to this thread:

We stayed the Sheraton. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite with club access and buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Got a late check-out at 7pm. Probably the best treatment I've ever received as a lowly Gold.

Was there planty to do around the Sheraton or did you find yourselves having to taxi many places?

Thinking about doing the Sheraton for a 3 night stay in Lima.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by utl567
Was there planty to do around the Sheraton or did you find yourselves having to taxi many places?

Thinking about doing the Sheraton for a 3 night stay in Lima.
There isn't much to do around the Sheraton, and the location is definitely not as convenient for a leisure stay as the Four Points.

Additionally, the hotel isn't of the same caliber as the Four Points, Hilton, JW, Crowne Plaza, Doubletree.

Taxis are frustrating if you don't know how to find safe local taxis and speak Spanish, as the hotel taxis are complete money grabs and less convenient.
Old May 3, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by utl567
Notwithstanding benzemalyonnais's response, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "plenty to do." When I'm in Lima, I always enjoy walking around downtown, sampling the food, the markets, and the museums, and exploring the various neighborhoods. Once in downtown, there's little need to take a taxi during daylight hours, because almost everything that I want to see/do is easily walkable. The Sheraton is perfectly positioned for this sort of activity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.