Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Jan 2 - May 1: No direct train from Cuzco to AC

Old Jan 19, 14, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

We're staying 4 days in Lima Feb 11-14, then flying to CUZ. Was expecting to have a train from CUZ to AC, but apparently the rail is under maintenance from CUZ to Olly, so there is a bus instead. Round trip is $284 for 2 people on the Expedition train/bus, which I find to be a bit excessive! Any alternatives to consider?
Old Jan 19, 14, 6:50 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AA, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by richardinmotion View Post
We're staying 4 days in Lima Feb 11-14, then flying to CUZ. Was expecting to have a train from CUZ to AC, but apparently the rail is under maintenance from CUZ to Olly, so there is a bus instead. Round trip is $284 for 2 people on the Expedition train/bus, which I find to be a bit excessive! Any alternatives to consider?
Taxi from CUZ to Tambo del Inka in the Sacred Valley was only about $40 -- so shouldn't be much more to Olly, right? So, look for train fares from there to Aguas Calientes.
Old Jan 24, 14, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardinmotion View Post
What kinda buses are they running? Enough room for everyone to bring large suitcases??
Old Feb 1, 14, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

We are leaving for Peru in 10 days, so no feedback for you yet. Anyone have any further experience on the current situation?
Old Feb 3, 14, 7:23 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Private taxi from CUZ to Ollay is S/.150
Old Feb 4, 14, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22 View Post
Private taxi from CUZ to Ollay is S/.150
and much faster than train (especially on return).
Old Feb 14, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Private car to Olly, then PeruRail from Olly onward.
Old Feb 15, 14, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
What kinda buses are they running? Enough room for everyone to bring large suitcases??
We opted for the PeruRail bus service (bimoda). I did not see ANY room for suitcases on the smallish buses, so my recommendation would be to leave your suitcases at your hotel in Cusco (we did that). We brought large backpacks with a change of clothes for staying over night in AC. Raining here now... hoping weather will clear for our MP visit mañana.

Search this Thread