Wiki Posts
Search

One way ticket to LIM - issue at check-in or immigration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer
One way ticket to LIM - issue at check-in or immigration

I hold a Singaporean passport and have purchased an one-way ticket from LAX to LIM (via ATL) on DL.

My plan is to travel overland to Brazil and I don't have any air ticket out of Peru. I have a ticket back to SIN out of GIG though.

Will there be any issue at check-in or at the LIM immigration?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Immigration in Lima never asked me about onward tickets, so you should not have an issue there, however at check-in they can give you a hard time. DL asked me a couple of times to show onward tickets when I travelled with the return part of a ticket to a place where I did not have residency. Strictly spoken they can deny you boarding w/o onward ticket. I don't know to what point they would enforce the rUles, but I would probably buy a fully refundable flight out of Peru and then once I'm there cancel it. That way you reduce the odds of having troubles.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Immigration will ask you about the length of time you plan on spending in Peru. They have never asked me to show proof of a return ticket. You might want to call DL and ask them since they can look the rules up on the spot. If your return flight from GIG also in DL? That should make things easier as they will be able to see that you have a return ticket, albeit from a different country.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer
Thanks for the replies!

My flight from GIG is with ET. Guess MarLim 's suggestion about the fully refundable ticket is the most fool-proof in my case.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:07 am

Immigration in Lima has never asked me for proof on onward travel even when I say I'm staying 5-6 months. But I was once denied boarding by Copa in Puerto Rico for only having a one way ticket to LIM. They said if I had a bus/train/boat ticket leaving Peru it would be enough but I ended up having to buy a refundable ticket at the airport and cancelling it the next day.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Never had any problems in and out of Peru on multiple one way tickets. Have not been asked to show proof of onward travel. You should be ok lah.

Cheers,
SF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.