Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Stay in the lounge for the night at LIM?

Old Oct 29, 13, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is possible.

I will be arriving from US at LIM at around 12:30 am, the connection flight will be domestic to Cuzco.

Is it possible to stay at the international lounge until dawn? I could not find a *A lounge via its website. Is there a *A lounge?

If not possible staying in the lounge until dawn, is there hotel near the airport? and is it safe finding taxi at the middle night? I do not speak Spanish.
Old Oct 29, 13, 9:28 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by mi88ke View Post
Not sure if this is possible.

I will be arriving from US at LIM at around 12:30 am, the connection flight will be domestic to Cuzco.
No. The only way to get back into the lounges is to go through connections back up to international departures, you can fool the connections agents but unless you have an valid BP for an international flight then you will not get into the lounges. According to bingocallerb22 you can use the Caral VIP lounge in the national terminal for US$25 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18365719-post44.html

Is it possible to stay at the international lounge until dawn? I could not find a *A lounge via its website. Is there a *A lounge?
Avianca uses the same lounges as OneWorld (Sumaq)

If not possible staying in the lounge until dawn, is there hotel near the airport? and is it safe finding taxi at the middle night? I do not speak Spanish.
There is a Ramada in the car park of the airport (Or a Ram Harder depending on the purpose of your visit)

No other tourist class hotels within a 30 minute ride. The Sheraton is very cheap and in an area that smells of cabbages. The Westin in San Isidro is often US$115 at a weekend.

It is possible to contract and pay for Taxis Verde at the exit from customs. Should be about S/.40 to the above hotels.

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Oct 29, 13 at 9:37 pm
Old Oct 31, 13, 1:36 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
JohnnyC responded to most of the questions.

As to spending the night, its pretty common to see folks connecting from US flights to CUZ to just sit around the cafeteria and wait out the 3-4 hours. Its brightly lit and not all that bad a place to wait it out. Some shops are also open till late fr food / drinks.

Cheers,
SF
Old Oct 31, 13, 4:12 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I'm thinking that most of the restaurants are open 24/7 now.
Always wondered why those folks did not go to the Chapel... it has benches (or whatever they are called in religious parlance) and all that quiet goodness radiating.
There are some OK hotels nearer the airport that could be recommended.
Some people have gone to the lounge after security on domestics side, only caveat being that security takes a siesta sometime around 2am.
Cheers

(oh, and a Hilton will soon be built at the airport... when are you travelling... 2019?)
Old Nov 1, 13, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22 View Post
(oh, and a Hilton will soon be built at the airport... when are you travelling... 2019?)
LOL, I will probably had died in 2019.

It looks like that I should find a spot to stay a few hours. Thanks everybody.
Old Nov 19, 13, 1:25 pm

CUZ LIM Panama City Miami

We will be arriving into Lima at 530pm on TACA and connecting on COPA to Panama City at 445am. Since these are all star alliance flights, will I be able to check my luggage all the way back to the US and thus obtain my boarding pass and have access to the VIP lounge? We have 1K and Priority pass so if we can get to the airside, we can save on the hotel and just sleep inside the lounge, right?
Old Dec 26, 13, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
LIM: International to Domestic connection at night.

Arriving from EZE at 23:00
Departing LIM-CUZ at 6:00 next morning.

So I have a few hours in the middle of the night at LIM. Would prefer to just stay in the airport (Caral VIP Lounge airside Domestic terminal sounds good). A few questions please:

1. I understand US citizen can obtain visa on arrival at LIM. Can someone confirm please?

2. How much time to budget for immigration/passport control from international terminal and go over to the domestic terminal?

3. Restaurants open 24/7 airside domestic T?

4. Any food inside the Caral VIP Lounge? Someone mentioned 1 time use fee is US$25. Is that still true?

5. Location of ATM?

Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Arriving from EZE at 23:00
Departing LIM-CUZ at 6:00 next morning.

So I have a few hours in the middle of the night at LIM. Would prefer to just stay in the airport (Caral VIP Lounge airside Domestic terminal sounds good). A few questions please:

1. I understand US citizen can obtain visa on arrival at LIM. Can someone confirm please?

2. How much time to budget for immigration/passport control from international terminal and go over to the domestic terminal?

3. Restaurants open 24/7 airside domestic T?

4. Any food inside the Caral VIP Lounge? Someone mentioned 1 time use fee is US$25. Is that still true?

5. Location of ATM?

Thanks.
I can answer two of your questions:

1) U.S. citizens do not need a visa for Peru.
2) I've been through immigration/customs in as fast as 2 minutes, and as long as one hour - depending on what international flights have arrived just before (lines at immigration can be long and slow). The walk to the domestic terminal will not take more than 5 minutes.
Old Dec 27, 13, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pedro M View Post
I can answer two of your questions:

1) U.S. citizens do not need a visa for Peru.
2) I've been through immigration/customs in as fast as 2 minutes, and as long as one hour - depending on what international flights have arrived just before (lines at immigration can be long and slow). The walk to the domestic terminal will not take more than 5 minutes.
Thanks.
2 down, 3 to go.
Old Dec 28, 13, 6:48 am

1: To be picky, you will get the Andean visa on the sirplane to fill out, just like everyone.
2: At that time, it should be pretty quick
3: Only two airside domestic food outlets, one sit down limited menu, other just a juice and sandwitch type outlet. I do not know, but doubt they are open late. Anyway, better to eat landside where more options 24/7.
4: Yes, snack items in Caral. Yes, buy-in possible.
5: Various ATMs are located all over the airport on both levels.

Only caution is that it may be that security to airside may be closed for a bit around 2am. Have fun!
Old Dec 30, 13, 8:40 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
1: To be picky, you will get the Andean visa on the sirplane to fill out, just like everyone.
To be even pickier, tarjeta andina is not a visa. It is simply a landing card

5: Various ATMs are located all over the airport on both levels.
Bear in mind that all ATMs at LIM belong to Red GlobalNet and if for whatever reason it does not like your card, you have no options apart from walking through the car park to the strip mall on the other side of the road.

Take some freshly pressed dollars with you to either spend or swap for S/.
Old Dec 31, 13, 5:10 am

To be picky (big smile) they have recently installed more ATMs, various brands, notably second floor passageway from Subway to main corridor (where the stand alone Tourist Booth used to be) across from the new Starbucks look alike competitor. LIM has faults, but I give them credit, they seem to be constantly changing and trying to improve with what they have.
Old Jan 1, 14, 8:46 pm

[QUOTE
5. Location of ATM?

[/QUOTE]

I was just there last Nov. There is an ATM machine just as soon as you get out of baggage claim area. But my ATM card didn't work on that machine. I ended up exchanging money at the money exchange kiosk. I saw a couple of them, and found out that they don't have the same rates. One of them had really bad exchange rate. There is a bank in the same area. it didn't have sign for money exchange but if you ask the teller inside the window, she will write down her rate. I think of all the 3 places I checked, she had the best rates. When I went back to her, she was nowhere to be found, maybe taking a break so I ended up at one of the money exchange kiosks.
Old Jan 3, 14, 4:33 pm

4: Yes, snack items in Caral. Yes, buy-in possible.

Only caution is that it may be that security to airside may be closed for a bit around 2am. Have fun!
My bold.

Thanks for the useful info.
Re CARAL, is ow Emerald flying on LAN eligible for access, or is it straightly pay for admission only? No showers here, I figure?

About security to airside in Domestic T: My flight from EZE lands at 23:00. SO by midnight, will the security still open? Don't want to spend most of the night landside.
Old Jan 3, 14, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Bear in mind that all ATMs at LIM belong to Red GlobalNet and if for whatever reason it does not like your card, you have no options apart from walking through the car park to the strip mall on the other side of the road.

Take some freshly pressed dollars with you to either spend or swap for S/.
Too bad about the ATMs. I don't think I want to go over to the strip mall at that tome of night. Thanks for the info just the same.

Do merchants in the airport accept US$? If so, how is it compare to forex rates?

Search this Thread