Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Lima/Cusco/MP Itinerary

Lima/Cusco/MP Itinerary

Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Looking back, the only thing I seriously disliked was the food
Perhaps it's an acquired taste but I really enjoy Peruvian cuisine. Heck, even the fries were kind of tasty.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip and glad to know that UA didn't delay you out of IAH.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Peru. Would you kindly shed some light on hotels and transportation arrangement plus logistic?
How did you handle high altitude, any problem?

Thanks.
I have tons of Marriott MR points, so I booked the JWs at Cusco and Lima. For transportation, we used primarily used taxi. For 4 people, it was more economical than other forms of transportation. In and around Cusco, we did a lot of walking - the streets are beautiful.

Aguas Caliente is an overpriced tourist-trap - minimize your time there. The Sacred Valley and Cusco in particular are absolutely lovely.

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Perhaps it's an acquired taste but I really enjoy Peruvian cuisine. Heck, even the fries were kind of tasty.
I've enjoyed all kinds of cuisines - from Uzbek to Malay to Slovenian. Peru is the first destination where I was not a fan in the slightest. I'm not sure why it didn't click with me.

That said, Peruvian Chinese was absolutely incredible. In my opinion, better than any other Chinese food I've gotten anywhere in the world (including China). I guess different stroke for different folks

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Dec 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Going back to see Titicaca is now a priority.
We did Titicaca this past June and while the lake was beautiful, the area around it was nasty. All of the black-market trade between Bolivia and Peru goes through Juliaca and Puno. Both of those cities are simply not for tourists, there is no tourist infrastructure, we couldn't even find a Lake Titicaca t-shirt. I have no doubt things will improve over the coming years, but it is not ready.

As an example, after staying in our $40 hotel room with one light bulb, massive spiders, damp beds, and cold brown running water, we had to wake up 8 hours before our flight from Juliaca Airport. All transit drivers were on strike so we had a scab bus driver charge us triple the normal price to drive us around the perimeter of town through what looked like a garbage dump before the sun rose. Random trash, cars, broken glass, and tires were strewn about the street to prevent travel and many of the townspeople were throwing glass bottles and rocks at our bus.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pgh234
We did Titicaca this past June and while the lake was beautiful, the area around it was nasty. All of the black-market trade between Bolivia and Peru goes through Juliaca and Puno. Both of those cities are simply not for tourists, there is no tourist infrastructure, we couldn't even find a Lake Titicaca t-shirt. I have no doubt things will improve over the coming years, but it is not ready.

As an example, after staying in our $40 hotel room with one light bulb, massive spiders, damp beds, and cold brown running water, we had to wake up 8 hours before our flight from Juliaca Airport. All transit drivers were on strike so we had a scab bus driver charge us triple the normal price to drive us around the perimeter of town through what looked like a garbage dump before the sun rose. Random trash, cars, broken glass, and tires were strewn about the street to prevent travel and many of the townspeople were throwing glass bottles and rocks at our bus.
Ouch. Thanks for the heads up. I'll give a few years for the infrastructure to improve then..
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:21 pm

where did you stay in AC?

We decided for AC overnight more as insurance for Machu Picchu in case of rain.
Since it turned out sunny, used it for climb to Huyana Picchu.

How were the train logistics? ANy hotel you recommend in Sacred Valley?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by desi
where did you stay in AC?
Taypikala. It was ok, but a bit pricey.

Originally Posted by desi
How were the train logistics? ANy hotel you recommend in Sacred Valley?
The train worked out fine - PeruRail was very straightforward. We did in stay in the sacred valley due to shortage of time.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Online booking for Machu Picchu

OP,

I assume you reserved your tickets for MP online.
I went online, only to find out there was 0 (zero) availability from Jan 01 up to May (I did not beyond). Is this possibly due to availability not yet loaded for 2014?

Anyone has any insight to this?

Any likely hood that I can obtain tickets after my arrival to Cusco?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
They say 2014 MP tix will become available last week of December. Also have heard December 23. Just keep checking and do not worry, take a deep breathe mau mau
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

OP,

I assume you reserved your tickets for MP online.
I went online, only to find out there was 0 (zero) availability from Jan 01 up to May (I did not beyond). Is this possibly due to availability not yet loaded for 2014?

Anyone has any insight to this?

Any likely hood that I can obtain tickets after my arrival to Cusco?
I bought my tickets in Aguas Caliente. Getting tickets online is only vital for peak season.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
They say 2014 MP tix will become available last week of December. Also have heard December 23. Just keep checking and do not worry, take a deep breathe mau mau
Good to know. Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:40 pm

I bought my tickets in Aguas Caliente. Getting tickets online is only vital for peak season.
Noted that you were there during Thanksgiving. So when is high season?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Noted that you were there during Thanksgiving. So when is high season?
May-October

The rest of the year, it is rainy.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:09 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
May-October

The rest of the year, it is rainy.
Yes.
I went to Cusco on a march weekend, just the city. Fortunately I didn't catch any rain, but even though the weather was mild, I didn't risk going to MP. A sudden strong rain could generate one of those "huaicos" (mud landslides) that could block the rails
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

So if I am planning to go in February, I should be able to buy MP tickets upon getting there? Was afraid of buying tickets in advance as it might rain on the day I will be there.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
So if I am planning to go in February, I should be able to buy MP tickets upon getting there? Was afraid of buying tickets in advance as it might rain on the day I will be there.
Yup, you should be able to without any issues.

Do note, if you are planning to hike the Inca Trail, it is usually closed Feb of each year for maintenance.

Cheers,
SF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.