Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz at LIM, some info for renters

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Hertz at LIM, some info for renters

The service was ok but there are a couple of things to pay attention to, especially if you have just arrived at LIM after a long ride and are tired.

They take your DL and passport before you pick up the car. I walked out, realize I didn't have them and had to ask security to get back into the semisecure zone where the desk is located. They told me the agent would meet me with them at the car.

This creates some confusion - I don't like having those documents out of my sight/possession especially when I don't know about it, or what's going on, before it happens.

Then I had to find my way across the lot in the dark to the Hertz lair. It is not signposted. There, the agent was waiting with the docs. I get it, that it might be their process, but this needs to explained to the customers.

This brings me to their lot. Their parking lot is NOT accessible from the airport parking lot even though it looks like it is. It is literally fenced off from the

However, when returning a vehicle, it is easy to get funneled into the airport pick up driveby, which is not eligible for rentals it says, and all other exits require you to actually enter the short-term parking. So I paid a 5.5 PES fine for this idiocy...even though I was in the lot for one minute.

If you arrive in the daytime and can see what you're doing maybe you won't have any issues.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with taxis as I'd imagine it's a much cheaper option. I also don't think i have the cojones to drive in Lima.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with taxis as I'd imagine it's a much cheaper option. I also don't think i have the cojones to drive in Lima.
Well, taxis in LIM/Callao pose their own share of risks.

The total rental cost was only 25 USD/day and actually driving on the streets of LIM is not nearly as bad as you might think once you leave the Hertz lot. A relatively low proportion of the population can afford a car - traffic ooes not equate to BOG for example in spite of a comparable population - and there are many wide, limited-access boulevards to downtown/Miraflores. I think it´s tougher to drive in KUL/MEX/FCO just to name some I´ve tried and felt challenged by.

Besides imagine what driving the car in LIM will do for your cojones/street cred at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.