Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Quick advice appreciated re Oltursa bus line

Old Aug 29, 13, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

We are thinking of taking the Oltursa bus from Paracas to Lima next month, as it is the only bus line with a morning departure. (Thanks for those who replied to my previous post re Cruz del Sur, which does not have a morning bus.) Does anyone have any recent experience with it or other impressions? Is it safe? Reliable? One person over at Tripadvisor posted that there are instances of thievery on it. Any opinions on that?

Leaving for Peru tonight, but whether we take Oltursa could affect our schedule somewhat. So any quick advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 29, 13, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
We are thinking of taking the Oltursa bus from Paracas to Lima next month, as it is the only bus line with a morning departure. ....? Is it safe? Reliable? One person over at Tripadvisor posted that there are instances of thievery on it. Any opinions on that?
Who on TA posted that? Was it someone with a long history of sound advice on that forum? That would make a big difference to me whether I would credit the "warning" or not, whether it was a regular occurance in their personal experience (not hearsay) or not.
All travel forums have their own individual character, and IMO folks over there are some of the most timid travelers posting online.
Old Aug 29, 13, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Who on TA posted that? Was it someone with a long history of sound advice on that forum? That would make a big difference to me whether I would credit the "warning" or not, whether it was a regular occurance in their personal experience (not hearsay) or not.
All travel forums have their own individual character, and IMO folks over there are some of the most timid travelers posting online.
thanks. I fully agree, at least with respect to some persons posting there (or they may have other agendas), which is one reason I have posted the question here. do you know anything about this bus company?
Old Aug 30, 13, 1:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Oltursa has good reputation among locals. The biggest disadvantage is pricing, Cruz del Sur (also a good company) tends to be a little cheaper. Regardless of the reputation of bus company, you should be careful with your belongings as thieves do work on buses of every bus company. However, Oltursa and Cruz del Sur buses stop only at official bus stations to pick up new passengers and as a result the risk of highway robbery is much smaller. Unlike pickpocketers, highway robbers are violent.

Last edited by miikkak; Aug 30, 13 at 2:08 pm

Search this Thread