FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   Help: Cusco to Aguas Calientes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1441811-help-cusco-aguas-calientes.html)

psp007 Feb 24, 2013 7:13 am

Help: Cusco to Aguas Calientes

Can someone advise on the easiest way to go from Cusco to Aguas Calientes and back?

Planning on staying in Aguas Calientes. I went through the various treads and any advice will be appreciated.

penlin Feb 24, 2013 7:54 am

As far as I know, there are only 3 ways to get to AC from Cusco, the first is by helicopter, the second is a 4 day trek with a licensed guide, and the third is the train from Cusco to AC, and if you are looking for easy, I would suggest the train.
Here are the links to the two rail services that operate in that area
www.incarail.com
www.perurail.com

Hope that helps

Cheers.

SJOGuy Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I don't believe the helicopter service is operating any longer.

Villavic Feb 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 20315528)
I don't believe the helicopter service is operating any longer.

It was forbidden in june 2010. Until that time, Helicusco used to offer that service. I read in september 2012 that the goverment authorization was again on. But Helicusco license had expired and don't know if they got it again. I've not heard anything about it again. It's still a complicated issue cause experts who are against it says that the 120 decibels generated by helicopters obligate birds and other animals to migrate from the zone. If so, I wouldn't agree with helicopter services, too.

Psychowildfire Feb 28, 2013 11:18 pm

What is the best way from cusco to Ollantaytambo? And what time it will need for this way?

Anyone know what a taxi ride would cost on this route?

travelinterpreters Mar 4, 2013 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Psychowildfire (Post 20337713)
What is the best way from cusco to Ollantaytambo? And what time it will need for this way?

Anyone know what a taxi ride would cost on this route?

Cusco to Olly is a little over an hour and half if you drie straight there and not stop at other sites. The cost should be around 50 soles.

neuromancer Mar 11, 2013 7:11 am

Or, if you will take an organized tour anyway, you can take a Sacred Valley tour from Cuzco, and leave at Ollantaytambo (thus skipping Chinchero).

Psychowildfire Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am

Just booked a train ticket from Peru Train from Olly to MP and back from MP to Cuzco.
So i will arrive at Aguas Calientes at late afternoon and leave next day evening.

Psychowildfire May 23, 2013 5:13 am

so after my trip a quick response. I took a minibus ride to Ollanta. Cost 10 Soles.

jbrawo Jun 3, 2013 5:09 am

Originally Posted by penlin (Post 20307625)
As far as I know, there are only 3 ways to get to AC from Cusco, the first is by helicopter, the second is a 4 day trek with a licensed guide, and the third is the train from Cusco to AC, and if you are looking for easy, I would suggest the train.
Here are the links to the two rail services that operate in that area
www.incarail.com
www.perurail.com

Hope that helps

Cheers.

There is also another way. You can take a minibus Cusco - Hydroelectrica - Cusco (cost 70 - 80 soles) and after you walk along the railroads (1,5h walk)from hydroelectrica to Aguas Calientes. A lot of people do that.

Gini1234 Oct 4, 2013 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Psychowildfire (Post 20797588)
so after my trip a quick response. I took a minibus ride to Ollanta. Cost 10 Soles.

Is that from Cusco to ollanta?

zitozac Nov 28, 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Gini1234 (Post 21551352)
Is that from Cusco to ollanta?

Yes, taxi from the airport to Calle Pavitos and catch minibus/van from there. 10 soles and drops off right at the train station in Olly.

YVR Cockroach Oct 1, 2014 8:57 pm

Piggybacking on this topic.

We are scheduled to arrive in CUZ at 1225. We need to get a ride from CUZ to Ollantaytambo and are planning on the 330p train. We need to dump our big bags at our hotel in Ollantaytambo before taking the train to Aquas Calientes (overnighting there for MP the next day).

So questions:

1. Is 3 hours enough time to get from CUZ to Ollantaytambo, drop the bags off at the airport and catch the 330p Perurail train? The next Perurail isn't until 7p. There is an Inca Rail train at 1630.

Buy in advance or buy there? Trip is in early November.

2. Should we book a car with the hotel or find one in CUZ. It's 50 soles for arranging a ride at the airport vs. USD 50 for booking with the hotel. How difficult (and time consuming) is arranging the ride at CUZ if one doesn't have sufficient Spanish?

SJOGuy Oct 1, 2014 10:34 pm

Three hours would be tight. Remember that you need to factor in waiting for your bags to be unloaded at the airport. You mentioned "big bags." I doubt carrying them on will be an option on your flight to CUZ.

Since you'll be pressed for time and since your Spanish is limited, I'd have your hotel arrange the car. That way, there is someone waiting there to whisk you off to Ollantaytambo.

YVR Cockroach Oct 2, 2014 9:42 am

Bags are not big but it would seem bigger than the train companies permit (I have a standard camping back pack + daypack, wife has a small roll-along + daypack) so we have to stash the "big bags" in Ollantaytambo.

I guess we can aim for the 1530 train with the 1630 (and 1900 and even the later one) as backups depending on air traffic delays at LIM.