Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Need help with an amazon trip with our 13 year old

Old Feb 14, 13, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa

Hello everyone! We will be in Peru this July and August. We are looking to fly to PEM and spend a few days in the rainforest. We will be traveling with our 13 year old son. Does anyone have any recomendations of a good lodge that would fit well for a very active 13 year old boy? One of the things he really wants to do is meet some native people of the amazon....

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Old Feb 19, 13, 8:12 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters View Post
Does anyone have any recomendations of a good lodge that would fit well for a very active 13 year old boy? One of the things he really wants to do is meet some native people of the amazon....
!
I have a friend who worked at Wasai Tambopata Lodge (search in the web). It looked a nice lodge, though I've never been there. Inkaterra is another good lodge or so I heard.

She told me there are no native communities in Tambopata natural park. I'm not sure if there are other native groups around Puerto Maldonando, I'll try to research. But the highlight there is the nature reserve of course.
Old Feb 20, 13, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I have a friend who worked at Wasai Tambopata Lodge (search in the web).
She just confirmed there's a native comunity called Amarakaire, a bit far (1 day and half traveling), but it's not that folklore, they were typical clothes just on special holidays. Not so exciting as comunities in Iquitos.

Again, I think the exciting in PM is the nature, adventure, and a 13yo kid may enjoy a lot if he likes adventure travel.
Old Feb 20, 13, 11:02 am

And there's a comunity in Manu too, called Matshiguenga. They live in those huts over high sticks and eat native food but no typical clothes nor dances.
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa
Thanks for the responses! I will check it out.

Search this Thread