Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Foreigner/"Gringo" Fee on Lima-Arequipa-Cusco-Lima?

Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I have been searching on the TACA and LAN websites, and both are very clear about the $178.50 foreigner tax for Cusco flights when booking Lima-Cusco roundtrips, which brings the best fares up to about $400.

On the other hand, when I search Lima-Arequipa-Cusco-Lima, no such warning or fare information appears, and the total flight comes out to about $200 all-in.

Does anyone know if there is a foreigner tax collected on the Cusco-Lima flight that the website just isn't mentioning?

Has anyone had this experience? It seems like a great way to save some cash and see an extra city, maybe Colca Canyon...

Thanks,

Tom
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:38 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
As discussed in other thread, actually is not a (gov) tax but an additional charge LAN or TACA adds. Why? I'm not sure but I've not found any goverment source that confirms it's a tax. I've heard Lan do preferences to flights combined international+domestic. So the only domestic flights are not actually profitable so they charge the additional, but I'm not sure about that.

About your Lima-Arequipa-Cusco-Lima question, I think the fee will be charged anyway. Maybe there's a webpage mistake but I'd consider they can charge at the airport when they ask for your id. If you don't want to wait for that moment I suggest to call the airline call center.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

You're right: it's a fee, not a tax.

I think you're right about calling the airline call center. What's your level of confidence that they'll know the answer?

Anyway, it's interesting... I'm finding good deals Lima-Arequipa-Cusco, but not Cusco-Arequipa-Lima.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
First, which website are you using? the answer will vary.

Bottom line is that CK and SP fare groups (Base Fare on lanperu) especially Economy-X, but also Q, N, O, S are often listed as for residents only. You may see the warning at stage 3 or 4 of the the purchase pages.

BTW, they call it a charge now, used to call it a fine, but never do I recall it being called a government tax.

LAN argues these fares are so so low to help residents that they can only give 25% Lanpass kms for them. Of course, that is demonstrable bs. And the fares are low for residents only on routes with competition.

If LAN takes the low road, why should we take the high road? LAN has found a way to skirt the rules and so can we.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by tomandre
I think you're right about calling the airline call center. What's your level of confidence that they'll know the answer?
Well, anything is possible. I had bad experiencies about asking for info at the airport counter. About the call center, I've not called so much, but I suppose all non-residents foreigns have to pay the fee, so the guy at the phone probably will check your e-ticket and data at the computer and he will see if it's included. If it's not, he'll tell you must pay at the airport or in that moment giving a credit card. But that's what I think, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
I was trying to book LIM-AQP-CUZ-LIM as well and had the same question. The fare was $150 in economy on taca.com, but there were business class tickets bookable on US OTAs for $300, so I ended up doing that. I figured an extra $50 per flight to upgrade to business class, earn full miles, and have the psychological insurance of knowing that I won't be charged the foreigner fee was worth it to me.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
from my experience all foreigners ( residents from non-south american countrys) pay the "gringo tax" if they buy any airplane ticket in Peru.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:10 pm

I'm looking at two options for an upcoming trip, which are slight variations of things that have been posted elsewhere. R/T LAX-LIM-LAX is already set travel to CUZ and SCL is needed. Options are:

1) purchase LIM-CUZ-LIM on StarPeru plus LIM-SCL-LIM on LAN (or TACA)

2) purchase LIM-CUZ on Star plus CUZ-SCL-LIM on LAN

Question:

Will LAN (or TACA) charge the extra fee for a flight that originates at CUZ and connects through LIM on the way to SCL?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Far From Home

Question:

Will LAN (or TACA) charge the extra fee for a flight that originates at CUZ and connects through LIM on the way to SCL?

Thanks!
On Lan, you will route through LIM to SCL but there will be no additional charge, if I understand the question correctly.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:30 pm

Correct, one possible routing would include CUZ-SCL via connection in LIM.

I'm trying to understand...is the tax fare-class-based, origin-based, routing-based, or something else?

I can't tell when it does or does not apply, and how to minimize the number of unexpected "add-ons" in transit.

Does it apply only to flights originating at LIM?

Does it apply to all flights within Peru purchased by Americans?

Does it apply only to certain fare classes?

Is it assessed more than once if a ticket includes multiple stopovers like LIM-CUZ // CUZ-SCL // SCL-LIM?

Total pricing comes up as one dollar amount on various search engines, other amounts on the airline websites if entering/searching via a US portal, still other amounts if entering/searching via the Peru portal (in Spanish).

Sometimes the websites mention that certain fare classes are restricted to citizens of Peru and will require proof of citizenship. Other times, no mention at all. And the dollar variations aren't consistent with the $178 tax (or any other consistent amount).
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Far From Home
Correct, one possible routing would include CUZ-SCL via connection in LIM.

I'm trying to understand...is the tax fare-class-based, origin-based, routing-based, or something else?

Ah. It is not a fine. It a charge the airlines have made up to make more profit. Lan suggest they provide some very low fares for residents to travel their own country, so low that they are for residents only. It is fare basis: technially X fares in Base family of tariffs. If you use non-SA websites they generally do not list these fares, you see only fares that would not attract this surcharge.

I can't tell when it does or does not apply, and how to minimize the number of unexpected "add-ons" in transit.

It applies if you are not a resident of Peru and you bought a for-residents fare.

Does it apply only to flights originating at LIM?

Not city based, applies to all routes in Peru.

Does it apply to all flights within Peru purchased by Americans?

Americans? If the American does not have residency status in Peru, should not buy resident-based fares.
.. nor Canadian Americans, or Cuban Americans, or even Coloooombians.

Does it apply only to certain fare classes?

Yes, Base Fare class.

Is it assessed more than once if a ticket includes multiple stopovers like LIM-CUZ // CUZ-SCL // SCL-LIM?

No, the addition charge, if caught incorrectly using a resident fare, is per ticket.

Total pricing comes up as one dollar amount on various search engines, other amounts on the airline websites if entering/searching via a US portal, still other amounts if entering/searching via the Peru portal (in Spanish).

Because different websites provide different fares classes. You will not find the Peru only fare on the USA website.

Sometimes the websites mention that certain fare classes are restricted to citizens of Peru and will require proof of citizenship. Other times, no mention at all. And the dollar variations aren't consistent with the $178 tax (or any other consistent amount).

The $178 is not part of the ticket, it is a additional charge if caught using the wrong fare class. No site will require proof of citizenship, only talks about residency. They route you by asking where you live to route you to the appropriate website, whether by phone or website splash page.

I am sure I haven't made everything clear, so ask away, until I have cleared it up somewhat.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I am sure I haven't made everything clear, so ask away, until I have cleared it up somewhat.
All of this information is very helpful, thank you. Everything you mention makes sense and makes the policies easier to understand.

LAN and the LAN website has been relatively easy to sort out.

And TACA phone reservations agents have been helpful for finding the "foreigner-approved" fares, which the TACA website struggles to price (on multi-city itineraries, at least).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
These fees are designed to allow lower fares for residents, who might find it stifling or impossible to pay higher fares - it's much like the "Kama'aina" rates and prices in Hawai'i, wherein Hawaiian residents are charged less for a variety of services than visitors (who are presumed, rightfully or not,) to have more spendable money that those earning a living there and paying higher prices for many goods and services).

When I visit Per, I'm not paying a tax, I am paying fares for non-residents. I guess I don't find it so onerous when I hold one of my old five million Inti bills in my hand...

The inflation rate in Peru was recorded at 4 percent in June of 2012. Historically, from 1991 until 2012, Peru Inflation Rate averaged 121.8 Percent reaching an all time high of 6,932.4 Percent in January of 1991 and a record low of -1.1 Percent in February of 2002. (Trading Economics)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:54 pm

Why not book with Peruvian airlines? Way cheaper. I just snatched 1 way for 95 dollars, with tax was 120. For 2 of us that is a big saving.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I guess I don't find it so onerous when I hold one of my old five million Inti bills in my hand...

I just had lot of flashbacks (early 90s!) when seeing that bill. Now it became this coin:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.