Lima restaurant recommendation request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)

Hey guys,

Will be in Lima next week staying close to the Westin, was wondering if anybody had any "Must try" restaurant recommendations in the city.

Will likely have some local friends share some insights too, but thought I'd check here too.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:56 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Great thing about Lima is everything is delicious apart from KFC in Av Comandante Espinar.

Westin is in San Isidro right? I think...

I'd go to Vivaldi http://www.vivaldi.com.pe/

For a nice bar with arty farty light bites you might be interested in Bravo Restobar. http://www.bravorestobar.com/index1.html The chef is very well respected

I think they are both tripping distance from your hotel

You really have to try pan con chicharrón and camote and pickeld onions. Its the best sandwich ever. Nicest one I had was out of a cart in Surquillos, this place http://www.travbuddy.com/Glotons-v359372 does them 24/7
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Thanks Johnny, will have to try them and appreciate the suggestions... Will definitely be on the lookout for the sandwich carts you mentioned!

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Great thing about Lima is everything is delicious apart from KFC in Av Comandante Espinar.

Westin is in San Isidro right? I think...

I'd go to Vivaldi http://www.vivaldi.com.pe/

For a nice bar with arty farty light bites you might be interested in Bravo Restobar. http://www.bravorestobar.com/index1.html The chef is very well respected

I think they are both tripping distance from your hotel

You really have to try pan con chicharrón and camote and pickeld onions. Its the best sandwich ever. Nicest one I had was out of a cart in Surquillos, this place http://www.travbuddy.com/Glotons-v359372 does them 24/7
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I'd recommend Astrid y Gaston in Miraflores. I was there last month and the food was incredibly good. I tried a Pisco Sour as well and it was excellent.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:48 am

restaurants in San Isidro, Lima

The Westin Lima is located in the professional San Isidro district, which is also very close by taxi to the Miraflores and Barranco neighborhoods. Miraflores probably has the highest concentration of great restaurants, so it is worth trying your selection there.

- Panchita - A celebrity chef Gason Acurio joint, this mid-range restaurant serves delicious fruit cocktails including the iconic Peruvian pisco sour, and classic criollo dishes with a modern twist.

- Astrid y Gaston - Another Gaston site, this is the epitome of fine and quality dining in all of Peru.

- La Lucha - Along Miraflores' famous Kennedy Park, this sandwich place is extraordinary and the fresh squeezed juices are great to pair with.

- Bembos - If you want to try the best local fast food, get a burger at Bembos.

- Pardo's Chicken - A step up from normal fast food, here you can find some surprisingly good pollo a la brasa (popular rotisserie chicken).

- La Mar Cebicheria - One more Gaston spot, this cevicheria is fancy but features mid-range prices. They don't accept reservations so show up early!

- Punto Azul - This cevicheria is one of our favorites, with heaping portions and delightfully colorful decor sure to perk up any lunch diner.

Eat well!
Peru For Less
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: CO, UA, SPG
If you have a sweet tooth, you must check this place out:

Pastelería San Antonio

There isn't anything particularly "Peruvian" on the menu, aside from alfajores, but the array and quality of cakes, pastries, etc. is staggering.

It's on the edge of Miraflores, not too far from Larcomar.

[Addendum: According to the website, there is also a location in San Isidro]

Last edited by stndrdSDF; Dec 12, 2011 at 10:02 am Reason: additional information
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Another recommendation for Astrid y Gaston. I highly recommend their tasting menu. It was one of the finest dining experiences of my life. ^
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I can recommend "las brujas de cachiche". Good food in a nice setting. On Plaza Bolognesi in Miraflores.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for Astrid y Gaston recomendation

Hi,

To those of you who recomended Astrid y Gaston, THANK YOU.

I had a wonderful 3 course (plus all the little extras) meal with wine (and pisco) pairings.

Started having a couple of their breads (the potato bread is wondeful), then a tiradito de lenguado (think sashimi in some sort of milk sauce) paired with a Pisco sour to begin. I then had a Cuy appetizer dish (sauteed crispy rabbit wraps with Hoishin sauce) with a rose Malbec and then I had a sampler of 4 other appetizers, which included their lechon (little pig) with a Carmenere...

Needless to say, I had to walk back to the hotel because sitting down was tough... Great dinner (not cheap, but for the quality and amount it was great!)

Thanks, tomorrow I'm probably trying Costanera 700
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by mdt76
Hi,

I then had a Cuy appetizer dish (sauteed crispy rabbit wraps with Hoishin sauce) with a rose Malbec...
Ummmm, cuy is not rabbit but guinea pig...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Glad to hear you enjoyed Astrid y Gaston. Their peking cuy is absolutely wonderful!! I'll be travelling to Chile next week and I'm hoping their restaurant in Santiago is just as good.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:13 am
Suspended

I really enjoyed La Mar in Miraflores. But I think it is only open for lunch.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Ummmm, cuy is not rabbit but guinea pig...
Yeah, I found out about that a few days later... still doesn't take away from the deliciousness of the dish... Luckily I'm not known for being squeamish about food, except for Avocado... I can't see avocado (outside of Sushi, where I make sure it's well hidden by the rice before i eat it).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:07 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
20 years ago I would mention just the 3 best restaurants in Lima. Nowadays there are lot of options. It's like choosing what's the best ride in Disneyworld, it depends on preferences, and there's a lot anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.