Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Where to buy prepaid SIM in Cusco

Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt

Have a quick question re local prepaid SIM card. I seem to be having a hard time finding a list of retailers in Cusco. Anyone knows where there is a Claro office or reseller? Is there one at the airport?

Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:03 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
A comment, my Claro phone didn't work anywhere in Cusco, reception was awful. Telefonica Movistar worked far better.

There are four authorised Movistar agents in Cusco. You might still have problems registering it though, might need to find a Peruvian to register it with their details.

Code:
CAVEX Cusco 	
Esquina de Maruri con Pampa del Castillo 315 - Cercado - Cusco 	
L - V: 9:00 am a 6:00 pm y Sbados: 9:00 am a 1:00 pm

Agencia Manti - Cusco 	
Plazoleta Limacpampa Grande 509 Urb.Centro Histrico Cusco 	
L - V: 9:00 am a 7:00 pm y Sbados: 9:00 am a 1:00 pm

Agencia Digital Comunicaciones - Cusco 	
Plaza San Francisco 128 Cusco 	
L - V: 9:00am a 6:30pm (de corrido), Sbados: 9:00am a 1:00pm

Multicentro Cusco 	
Av. El Sol N 382 Cusco 	
L - V: 9:00 am a 6:00 pm y Sbados: 9:00 am a 1:00 pm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. You mean I need a local peruvian ID to get one of those prepaid cards now? Hmm, ok, I guess I need to figure something out. Just wanted to get a temp phone for a few weeks while I'm there.

Appreciate the addresses. Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:21 pm

I am saying that you will probably be able to buy one, but you will not be able to register it.

You can probably buy one and get someone in your hotel to register it, or a bar maid or someone. If they won't even sell you it then you need to find a Peruvian to go there at the same time. Mine was registered by my girlfriend.

You will be flying there presumably through LIM and there is a Claro shop there, a cursory google indicates there is a Movistar shop there too but I don't remember seeing it. Like I said, I found that Claro doesn't work too well in Cusco. Also Peruvian mobile networks are semi geographic so it will cost you more to use a Lima cellphone in Cusco

Sorry Peruvian mobile networks are a lamentable pile of crap, I really wish I had something more encouraging to share with you.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:51 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Also Peruvian mobile networks are semi geographic so it will cost you more to use a Lima cellphone in Cusco
Last year there was a switch (mobile numbers dropped the area code) so this is no longer true... there are no Lima-cellphones or Cusco-cellphones anymore.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Last year there was a switch (mobile numbers dropped the area code) so this is no longer true... there are no Lima-cellphones or Cusco-cellphones anymore.
See! I am sure you are right, but as a Claro customer that was in Lima two weeks ago I have completely lost the thread.

The root of my confusion is thus. Some sort of change was effected last year, however since then my Claro phone has continued to send out the wrong calling line identity.

Say for example I send you a text message to Spain, you cannot reply to it because the number is wrong, likewise you cannot use the sent number to call me. Suppose I text you frequently, you would need to have both numbers in your address book "Johnny in" and "Johnny out" each reply you would have to close down the text message and start a new message sent to Johnny out. It is completely incompetent nonsense.

Same with Entel Chile!

I have not spoken to Mrs Johnny by telephone for over a year unless she is calling me from the other side of customs at LIM. Neither of us can work out how to call her from Colombia.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:35 am
Ambassador, LATAM

I don't know if there's a problem with the number showing on text messages, but there were 2 changes in cellphone "numbering", both done to get rid of the regional-cellphone problem.

First, back in 2008, numbers were switched to 9 digits. Up to this point, Lima cellphone #s were 8 digits and other cellphone #s were 7 digits.
If you wanted to call a Cusco cellphone from abroad, you had to call +51-84-XXX XXX XXX.
Then, a year ago, area codes stopped being necessary for cellphones. Now, to call any cellphone from abroad you just dial +51-XXX XXX XXX. This was good because finally it costs the same to call cellphones anywhere in Peru. It also became necessary to add the area code when calling a landline from a cellphone.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc

First, back in 2008, numbers were switched to 9 digits.
Yes but at the same time no.

That 9 that was added in 2008 is not dialled if you are calling a cellphone from another cellphone so sometimes a cellphone number is 8 digits. Really they made a complete tossed salad of it.

They couldn't go and make it nice and simple like Europe where your number is +[country][number] that you can dial from any other cellphone anywhere else in the world.

I just checked, I have six entries for the same Peruvian cellphone number in my own cellphone. One to dial it from Chile on Entel, One to dial it from Colombia on Tigo (Neither of which works) One to dial it from Peru on Claro (which does work) One which identifies income text messages (Which does work) and one to send text messages to (which doesn't work.)

Sorry you will have to forgive me for having a Peruvian mobile but having no clue about numbering policy.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I am saying that you will probably be able to buy one, but you will not be able to register it.

You can probably buy one and get someone in your hotel to register it, or a bar maid or someone. If they won't even sell you it then you need to find a Peruvian to go there at the same time. Mine was registered by my girlfriend.

You will be flying there presumably through LIM and there is a Claro shop there, a cursory google indicates there is a Movistar shop there too but I don't remember seeing it. Like I said, I found that Claro doesn't work too well in Cusco. Also Peruvian mobile networks are semi geographic so it will cost you more to use a Lima cellphone in Cusco

Sorry Peruvian mobile networks are a lamentable pile of crap, I really wish I had something more encouraging to share with you.
Thanks for the tip. I know about the Lima airport outlets but I got the dreaded midnight - early morning connection so will not be able to get to them while open.

I guess I was lucky with previous registrations in Lima ... somehow they just "worked" ... I wonder who they are registered to?!?!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:12 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
I guess I was lucky with previous registrations in Lima ... somehow they just "worked" ... I wonder who they are registered to?!?!
Registration only became mandatory last year.
There were a few deadlines for registration but by now all unregistered numbers should be cancelled.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
Thanks for the tip. I know about the Lima airport outlets but I got the dreaded midnight - early morning connection so will not be able to get to them while open.

If it is really so important to you then I suppose I could post you mine and before you leave you could post it back to my Peruvian address. I will pick it up next time I go.

There! Beyond the call of duty

Like I said though, it doesn't work in Cusco though
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

JohnnyColumbia, thanks but no worries. Worse case, I befriend a barmaid as you suggested and work the charm!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Anyone have any updates on this? Is it possible to get a movistar card without being a resident? I'm looking for a solution for some journey around the country coming up in June.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:02 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Anyone have any updates on this? Is it possible to get a movistar card without being a resident? I'm looking for a solution for some journey around the country coming up in June.
There is an alternative to prepaid SIMs and it's renting a cell phone, they offer it at Lima Airport (in the baggage claim area). I think it's Movistar who offer it. This is an easy choice though more expensive than a prepaid SIM.

BTW, I've been in Cusco 4 times between 2007 and 2012 and never had a reception problem with my Claro cell phone. Within Cusco city, among the ruines outside it, and of course in Machu Picchu. I'm surprised JohnnyColombia had a bad time with it. What year was it?

About the "it will cost you more to use a Lima cellphone in Cusco", that is not true anymore, though it was. Nowadays all peruvian cell phones have the same area code, and it's the same rate wherever you are.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by Villavic
There is an alternative to prepaid SIMs and it's renting a cell phone, they offer it at Lima Airport (in the baggage claim area). I think it's Movistar who offer it. This is an easy choice though more expensive than a prepaid SIM.
I couldn't disagree more. The spandex service at the airport is total rip off, old cell phones, they do not tell you that you cannot text, terrible customer service, they promised a refund it never showed up... Avoid renting at the airport like the plague!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.