Search

Consolidated "Restaurants in/near Seattle/SEA - suggestions & questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:31 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Consolidated "Restaurants in/near Seattle/SEA - suggestions & questions" thread

We have been to Lowell's in the Pike Place Market almost every time we are in Seattle, always for breakfast.

The upper floors of Lowell's have nice views of the water and the ferries going forth.

Lowell's serves fresh sqeezed oj and the usual variety of typical American breakfast items all of which have been very good. Every once in awhile they have a "gourmet" item, that has not disappointed. Home made corned beef hash is served as well, which is good, not great but I really appreciate any establishment that is serving home made hash vrs. the canned junk that most restaurants do.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 5:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Tamarind Tree - New Vietnamese restaurant in Seattle

TAMARIND TREE
Provincial Vietnamese Restaurant
1036 South Jackson Suite A
Seattle, WA 98104
206-860-1404

Stopped in at this new place (I think its been open about a month) last night before going to see the touring production of the Lion King, and I have to say I was quite impressed.

It's in the former location of Little Bit of Saigon in the Asian Plaza at the corner of 12th and Jackson. Completely redecorated, and a little more upscale than the former "cheap hole in the wall place" that it used to be. Entree prices looked to all be in the $6-10 range, and well portioned. 4 adults ate for about $40 plus tax and tip. (no alcohol or dessert). We each chose a different entree and picked at each other's plates. My family is not known for dainty appetites and we were all quite satisfied with the portion sizes.

The food was very tasty, well presented, and the service is better than I would normally expect in Chinatown. I did have to flag down the waiter for another drink, but at one point my soup spoon fell on the floor, and he apparently heard it and was on his way with another one before I'd even gotten mine picked up. We left just a little after 7pm to head to the theatre and the place was already close to full.

I'd definitely recommend this place, and plan to return myself... perhaps I'll drag the local SEA FT'ers down here one night
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I tried this restaurant the other night and was VERY impressed. This place has certainly caught on. My biggest regret is that I discovered it so late. It was packed and they actually had a wait list. Many of the clientele were dressed nicely for a night on the town yet many others were casual as well. The location is so unusual – east of Chinatown in the heart of Little Saigon and hidden in the back of a strip mall squeezed next to some busy Vietnamese grocery stores. The décor and presentation is TRULY as nice (or nicer) as Wild Ginger but without the attitude, at a fraction of the price and very authentic (not the watered-down, pan-Asian cuisine you find at the over-hyped restaurants). Even the Vietnamese eat here. We sat and wondered how long they could average a mere $7.50 per entrée. The 7 Courses of Beef for Two is served the traditional way but even tastier than what I have had anywhere in Seattle. When you order this remember that the beef congee soup comes last. It is very satisfying for two people at $18.95. The best thing is that most dishes are easily ordered individually since so many Asian restaurants these days require sharing. You find a lot of the traditional fare and more. You will even find a selection of Pho but for $7 a bowl it had better be good. The $6 specialty drinks are a deal. Concoctions of Cognac and Champagne along with specialty martinis (lychee, lemongrass, etc.).
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:38 pm

Exclamation Caution: Closed By The Health Department

The dining room looks very nice - don't let that deceive you. The prices were cheap. But that's still no excuse not to follow health department rules. After we ate there once, we found out from friends who stopped going there that Tamarind Tree was shut down because they failed multiple health inspections.

I did some digging online and found the inspection records from King County health department. You can check it out for yourself at http://www.decadeonline.com/main.phtml?agency=skc then type in "Tamarind Tree" and you can see the inspection results.

On 11/14/2005, they failed their inspection with a whopping 123 violation points.

They were closed until 11/16/2005 when they were reinspected.

Between their closure until now they have had over 8 re-inspections!!

A word to the wise, don't go to a place that doesn't care about their customer's food safety! We will never go back to a place that shows no concern for following safe food handling standards!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Wow- not to hijack the thread, but I also looked up places like Canlis, El Gaucho and Wild Ginger. High end places. They didn't fare very well...
Old May 4, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: American, United
Seattle Restaurant Recommendations

I'm going to Seattle next month and hoping to get a good recommendation for a nice dinner spot in the downtown area...any suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 4, 2007, 6:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm sure you'll get many different suggestions from locals and those, like myself, who visit on occasion.

A couple of my favorites are The Metropolitan Grill for steaks and McCormick & Schmick's for seafood.

The Metropolitan Grill has a single location downtown and McCormick and Schmick's has two or three locations in downtown Seattle.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 4, 2007, 6:25 pm

Thanks, Cholula...the Met Grill looks great!
Old May 4, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
One of the best meals we ever had was at Dahlia Lounge.
Old May 4, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
If The Met looks good to you also check out El Gaucho. A little old school and the cigar room is now smokeless but very nice service. Dinner only and the atmosphere is dark inside so keep that in mind on those sunny summer evenings.
My favorites include: Wicked Shrimp to start $15 and Goucho Salad (Roquefort dressing with shrimp) $9, Double Thick Venison Chops $39 or Steak El Gaucho $49 (topped with lobster medallions) or try one of the 3 Flaming Swords $24 - $34. For a side Lobster mashed potatoes are good but cost $21 or just ask for the "Full Gaucho Treatment" and they will add a backed potato for $5 (Russet potato with butter and Tillamook cheddar cheese beer sauce, cracked pepper and scallions fluffed tableside)
Flaming Bananas Foster is worth it just for the show $9 each.
After your meal you are served a silver pedestal tray piled high with whole fruit, nuts, crackers, and some very interesting and flavorful cheeses.
The place is really prides itself in its service and presentation. Quality is very good too.
Old May 6, 2007, 12:50 pm

Thanks, Jerry and WCM!
Old May 8, 2007, 10:30 am

Id reccomend Elliots over McCormick & Schmick's for seafood. M<cCormicks is good but a chain and can be found in many cities. Elliots has great oysters.

CPTango
Old May 8, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The Brooklyn is always good for steak and oysters

Maximilien in the Market ..especially for Sunday supper.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of food are you interested in?
Budget?
Atmosphere?

Feel free to check out the Seattle Dining Thread.
Old May 8, 2007, 5:54 pm
Suspended

I'd echo Elliot's over M&S. Like he said, its a chain (aka I won't normally go there), but when I have been taken there it was average. I sat at the kitchen counter one night. The amount of butter they used in their dishes was terrible. I'm talking a handful of butter to fry pretty much anything.

I like Wild Ginger downtown. It's nice modern asian inspired cuisine. The steakhouses like El Gaucho are the same as any steak place you've gone to. Overpriced charred meat and a pay for side dishes (just like you do at McDonald's), because they don't want people realizing they're paying $50 to $60 per plate. Personally, I'd skip them. You're in the Great Northwest. Eat seafood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.