Reload this Page >

Portland 7 hour layover options

Old Jul 30, 22, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG

Hey guys,

I haven't been to portland since I was kid, and have an upcoming trip which I connect through there with a 7 hour layover. I will only have carry on luggage and could check it in PDX upon landing so can travel lightly. I've done Seattle layovers a ton of time and went DT for a nice bite but not sure if this is possible in Portland.

Any suggestions if this is enough time to go do anything? I land at 1030am and depart 530pm. It will be on a weekday. Would appreciate any info on what I could do if the 7 hours allows me to. Would love to go grab a bite and see an attraction. Is there a train that connects PDX to downtown?

Appreciate any advise in advance from the PDX experts
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
There is very convenient light rail into the city; it takes ~40 minutes each way Light rail

If you dont want to go all the way into the city (or your flight is delayed) you can just take light rail a couple minutes to Cascade Station for a meal, a bit of shopping and to stretch your legs. There is no sales tax in OR
Cascade station
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jul 31, 22, 5:02 am

Programs: Fmr. UA 1K
The light rail is quick and convenient and drops you off smack in the middle of downtown. Don't know how safe downtown is these days, but from there you can easily walk or take the streetcar to the Pearl District which has tons of nice parks and eateries. Beats staying at the airport, although there is also a pretty nice food court landside at PDX. As tatia mentioned, you could also head to Cascade Station which is pretty nice. There's an Ikea there if you crave Swedish Meatballs
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jul 31, 22, 9:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If you can pop (probably $20) for an Uber, another (closer) alternative is to visit McMenamin's Edgefield, a hotel/resort/brewery/distillery/golf/spa/movie complex in Troutdale, a little east of the airport toward the Columbia Gorge. The Edgefield was originally built as the Multnomah County Poor Farm, but it's been converted into a terrific property with numerous places to eat, cool bars, lovely grounds to explore, funky art everywhere... it's quite a place.

Edgefield Hotel - McMenamins

SKYEG likes this.
Old Aug 1, 22, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Hey guys,

I haven't been to portland since I was kid, and have an upcoming trip which I connect through there with a 7 hour layover. I will only have carry on luggage and could check it in PDX upon landing so can travel lightly. I've done Seattle layovers a ton of time and went DT for a nice bite but not sure if this is possible in Portland.

Any suggestions if this is enough time to go do anything? I land at 1030am and depart 530pm. It will be on a weekday. Would appreciate any info on what I could do if the 7 hours allows me to. Would love to go grab a bite and see an attraction. Is there a train that connects PDX to downtown?

Appreciate any advise in advance from the PDX experts
pre Covid the airport had a baggage hold office next to baggage claim

therr is a light rail ststopmn at the airport on the right side facing outside. It costs $5 fir all day pass on it and buses and street cars.

taking red line to dientien takes about an hour. Downtown has a bunch of places to see. There are many places you can get lunch

taxi/Uber/ Lyft will take about 15 minutes fir about $25 to go from airport to downtown.

red line is the only one thst dies the airport. The signage on red line says city center fir downtown and airport heading out. Sometimes they run different routes. Some only run from airport to gateway ststion where you have to transfer lines. Blue green and red all go toward downtown. The green goes a different path in downtown.

cascade ststion , 2 stops from airport is a big box shopping center thst has a variety of national chain and local food places.

the first part of downtown you come to ( lighthouse rail goes from separate to street line) atlloyd center area ( shopping mall) the rose quarter ( Portland Trail Blazers arena) thrn over willamette river into downtown core area.

Powell books is a place to go if you are a book lover.

in the downtown area Covid has killed some parts. Thr pioneer square area is the place where many of the protests took place.

along 10th and 11rgph a street car system runs. Along these roads there are many local restaurants. The $5 pass covers you to ride these.

therr is an app you can use instead off a smart phone like Apple Pay. It’s call ihop. If you use the app you can scan each ride but it won’t exceed the $5. There are green boxes on the street cars and green boxes at the light rail stations you scan at ( the light rails don’t have scanners on board)
SKYEG likes this.

Last edited by djp98374; Aug 1, 22 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 14, 22, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Hey guys.

Shifted some plans around so i can extend my stay to have one night in Portland! I land 6pm and leave 4pm the next day.

is it feasible to take the train at that time? I want to stay at hyatt centric downtown, is that walkable from to train station to the hotel or should I just a cad from the airport ?

would appreciate any more tips now that I have a full evening. / overnight stay thanks very excited
Old Sep 15, 22, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Hey guys.

Shifted some plans around so i can extend my stay to have one night in Portland! I land 6pm and leave 4pm the next day.

is it feasible to take the train at that time? I want to stay at hyatt centric downtown, is that walkable from to train station to the hotel or should I just a cad from the airport ?

would appreciate any more tips now that I have a full evening. / overnight stay thanks very excited
from airport you take the max line ( red line to center city). From baggage claim facing outside you exit to the right and the station is on that side of the airport. Its about a 35 min ride.

you take this to gallery ststion. Here thr max line runs along the street on Morrison going west and Yamhill going east. The hotel is 2 blocks at Alder and11th. 10th and Morrison/ Yamhill is the station to take thr max line.

a street car runs along 10 th and 11 th. There are two lines. N/S line and an A/B line. In this area the run the same track going north on 10 th and south on 11 th.

a hotel I regularly use is the airport holiday inn express. Thru much of the year the points buy rate is less than the retail price before factoring taxes. On a 100% bonus its $100 for 20,000 points.

i just did a 3 night stay there.it cost at my booking around 28,000pts per night which isa pts buy is under $150. Hotel rate was high $100s+ taxes. In winter there could be some nights price snd points are near equal.

the area around the Hyatt centric..its generally good. Downtown has a homeless issue. There are restaurants near the hotel and north and south along the street car lines.

an issue though.

from the airport you can buy a $5 pass and it covers you to use the max line and street cars ( and buses) the rest of the day. The next daythe street car isnt a friendly thing for paying. If you walk dien to thr max line stations snd buy a $5 day pass from there will make life easier per. Portland has an online account app you can use called hop. You need to turn on thr nice on your cell to use it like how you do with Apple Pay. The green boxes outside the max line at the station or inside the street car inside the door is where you bring it near to scan.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
from airport you take the max line ( red line to center city). From baggage claim facing outside you exit to the right and the station is on that side of the airport. It’s about a 35 min ride.

you take this to gallery ststion. Here thr max line runs along the street on Morrison going west and Yamhill going east. The hotel is 2 blocks at Alder and11th. 10th and Morrison/ Yamhill is the station to take thr max line.

a street car runs along 10 th and 11 th. There are two lines. N/S line and an A/B line. In this area the run the same track going north on 10 th and south on 11 th.

a hotel I regularly use is the airport holiday inn express. Thru much of the year the points buy rate is less than the retail price before factoring taxes. On a 100% bonus it’s $100 for 20,000 points.

i just did a 3 night stay there.it cost at my booking around 28,000pts per night which isa pts buy is under $150. Hotel rate was high $100s+ taxes. In winter there could be some nights price snd points are near equal.

the area around the Hyatt centric…..it’s generally good. Downtown has a homeless issue. There are restaurants near the hotel and north and south along the street car lines.

an issue though….

from the airport you can buy a $5 pass and it covers you to use the max line and street cars ( and buses) the rest of the day. The next day…the street car isn’t a friendly thing for paying. If you walk dien to thr max line stations snd buy a $5 day pass from there will make life easier per. Portland has an online account app you can use called hop. You need to turn on thr nice on your cell to use it like how you do with Apple Pay. The green boxes outside the max line at the station or inside the street car inside the door is where you bring it near to scan.

THank you! I might take the train back but since I land later might just lyft/uber in.

Appreciate all the info
Old Sep 17, 22, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THank you! I might take the train back but since I land later might just lyft/uber in.

Appreciate all the info
At peak commute times I usually take the MAX to the airport (which 4 to 6 pm is) - you might save a little time in an uber or lyft if traffic is light, but if it's heavy or there's a crash somewhere it can take longer. The train is usually reliable and is only a few bucks, and if you use one of the phone pay systems (Apple/Samsung/Google) it will automatically convert you to a day pass when you hit $5 and it works across MAX, streetcars, and buses. You don't even need a portland specific app - just tap your phone.
SKYEG likes this.

Search this Thread