Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Overnight / lodging suggestion for Sfo-pdx drive?

Old Jun 20, 22, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Greetings! We want to drive Sfo-pdx (cities, not airports) and itís 11-ish hours. I canít actually do that in a day. Whatís a good halfway point, I guess near the border for these states? Suggestions greatly welcome and appreciated.

itís too ďexpensiveĒ to fly and rent a car.
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
You can take 97 and stop in Klamath Falls: https://www.planetware.com/oregon/to...-us-or-111.htm

But I leave early and make the drive on Hwy 5- about 10 hours for me.
Old Jun 21, 22, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
You can take 97 and stop in Klamath Falls: https://www.planetware.com/oregon/to...-us-or-111.htm

thank you - Iíll study thisÖ
I feel that itís too difficult to drive it all in a day. We just donít drive enough in a day.
klamath falls could be fun for the drive home when we can be a bit leisurely with our timing. :-)
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
When will this be?

I've done this drive (or something like it) so many times that I really can't recall. I MUCH prefer the coastal route, even though it takes 3-5 hours longer than I-5 wheels turning. I detest the Sacramento and Rogue Valleys (Medford et al) in the summer; it's too damn hot usually.

So if you're okay spending a night on the road, my preferred route is US 101 north to Reedsport, Oregon, then through the coast range on OR 38 to I-5 near Cottage Grove, then up the Willamette Valley to Portland. Depending on when you can get away from SF (from the city? Burbs?) you can spend the night anywhere between Gold Beach and Bandon, and still make Portland in a few hours the next day. Bandon is my preferred spot, but you'll need to book accommodation in advance, because many Oregon coastal lodgings require two night minimum stays (especially around weekends) in the summer. OR 38 is very scenic and is probably the quickest route from the coast to I-5. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/vxfewRkGQzCuMw2z6

If you want to go the inland route, then I'd overnight in Grants Pass, unless you want to try to find someplace in Ashland. Ashland is cute but is inundated with culture types due to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival that fills every bed all summer long. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/o73cPCgzTHtg1kVq5
Old Jun 21, 22, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
When will this be?

I've done this drive (or something like it) so many times that I really can't recall. I MUCH prefer the coastal route, even though it takes 3-5 hours longer than I-5 wheels turning. I detest the Sacramento and Rogue Valleys (Medford et al) in the summer; it's too damn hot usually.

If you want to go the inland route, then I'd overnight in Grants Pass, unless you want to try to find someplace in Ashland. Ashland is cute but is inundated with culture types due to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival that fills every bed all summer long. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/o73cPCgzTHtg1kVq5
thank you! mega appreciated.

We will overnight in grants pass and then drive the next day to Portland :-)
we are going soon… tomorrow! Via 5 because it’s still 6-1/2 hours
once we leave grants pass, we drive to Portland and then to a beach! It’s big for a traveler like me.
we drive back next week.
medford Hilton honors were all booked - due to Ashland?
I need to follow a route for our return.

i posted this on Monday yesterday because we decided this yesterday.

thank you for the 101 idea. It’s 90 more minutes. I’ve punted the map choices to my spouse. 6-1/2 hours versus 8 hours. Bleck.

did I say we are doing this because a car rental is $1100 and flights are $1500? Maybe flights could cost less but the car rental cost is pretty hard to downgrade.
Old Jun 21, 22, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post

Thank you - my spouse loves the idea of crater lake. We will figure our lodging there maybe on Thursday as we will end up staying a night in Portland, then probably a night in crater lake.

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

Thank you Gardyloo - my spouse prefers the more pretty scenic drive of 101. I used your map idea and made Sf to Crescent city to grants pass. 8 hours. It’s the only way I could figure out to make Google maps allow 101 instead of the standard 5. Crescent city was the key - I associate crescent city for the notorious pelican bay max prison so of course I’m afraid to actually stop there.
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I must emphasize that I referred to Gardyloo when telling my spouse about 101. I will acknowledge “Zebra New Zealand” to my spouse regarding crater lake / Klamath falls. Thank you both for this and May this information also help other travelers in the PNW :-)
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
I've done this route as well (LAX-SFO-SEA in 3 days).

I stopped overnight in Eugene, but if you don't want to go that far in a day, you could stop somewhere along the border in one of the smaller towns.

I particularly enjoyed Dunsmuir. It's a cute little town nestled in a mountain valley near Mt. Shasta just off I-5. There's a fantastic restaurant in town, Cafe Maddalena that is absolutely worth stopping for regardless.
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
thank you - Iíll study thisÖ
I feel that itís too difficult to drive it all in a day. We just donít drive enough in a day.
klamath falls could be fun for the drive home when we can be a bit leisurely with our timing. :-)

it depends on which way

if you drive 101Ö itís an expressway to leggert then it becomes a one lane each way with parts having two lanes. Night eureka- crescent city area in the redwoods. About 6-7 hrs. Go 199 to grants pass then 5 north ( about 6 hrs). You coukd drive southern oregon coadt to bandon then cut inland to 5 to Portland. This will be longer with stops.

travel to sacrament then 5 north. Night Medford area. About 7 hrs+ stops. About 4+ to Portland on 5

go 5 then 97 to klamath falls. Also about 7 hrs. You do klamath falls if you want tostop by crater lake np. You can do the lake then there are two routes..one to near Rosenberg thru the mountains the other takes you back to 97. Then a short distance north then 58 to Eugene. This is a trucker route. Itís a low elevation pass thru the cascades.

in between Redding to Medford/ klamath falls there is not much in terms of stopping places. Same with leggert to eureka. Not much tostop at other than garberville where you have the Avenue of the giants you can do a side trip down. About an hr side trip.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks again everybody. We enjoyed luncheon in Eugene today at lion & owl.
last night our supper was the delicious Crescent Seafood in Crescent City which I associated with the prison due to too many Sf chronicle articles that I read in the 20th Century.

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
I particularly enjoyed Dunsmuir. It's a cute little town nestled in a mountain valley near Mt. Shasta just off I-5. There's a fantastic restaurant in town, Cafe Maddalena that is absolutely worth stopping for regardless.
thank you - Iím telling my spouse about this restaurant. Iíll Google it and send the link. We are staying in Medford and then will drive Medford to Sf via 5 for time factor.

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
it depends on which way
Ö
in between Redding to Medford/ klamath falls there is not much in terms of stopping places. Same with leggert to eureka. Not much tostop at other than garberville where you have the Avenue of the giants you can do a side trip down. About an hr side trip.
Thank you for this - it was great to know. We did drive about an hour through Avenue of the giants which was super fantastic for me to see. I hadnít heard of it before.

i definitely would drive Sfo-pdx in the future as a road trip instead of flying.

bonus is that gas is $1/gallon less in Oregon compared to San Francisco lol
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
thanks again everybody. We enjoyed luncheon in Eugene today at lion & owl.
last night our supper was the delicious Crescent Seafood in Crescent City which I associated with the prison due to too many Sf chronicle articles that I read in the 20th Century.

thank you - Iím telling my spouse about this restaurant. Iíll Google it and send the link. We are staying in Medford and then will drive Medford to Sf via 5 for time factor.

Thank you for this - it was great to know. We did drive about an hour through Avenue of the giants which was super fantastic for me to see. I hadnít heard of it before.

i definitely would drive Sfo-pdx in the future as a road trip instead of flying.

bonus is that gas is $1/gallon less in Oregon compared to San Francisco lol
were you able to pu,p your own?

in oregon is you canít pump your own but small towns/ gas stations can allow customers to pump their own due to staffing
Old Jun 27, 22, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
were you able to pu,p your own?

in oregon is you canít pump your own but small towns/ gas stations can allow customers to pump their own due to staffing
we did not pump gas in Oregon. We got gas in Grants Pass, Portland, and Seaside. All had zero staffing issues. So gas is cheaper than California and we didnít pump gas.

we will definitely be very open to driving Sfo to pdx (cities) in the future. Of course, letís see how the upcoming pdx to sfo drive goes :-)
Old Jun 28, 22, 1:56 pm

If you have time on your way back, an alternative to I-5 between Roseburg and Medford is the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway. Take highway 138 east from Roseburg, which follows the North Umpqua River. Even if you don't get out of the car, it's a nice drive. If you do get out, there's a place you can see the confluence of two rivers, a place where you can see salmon swimming upstream, and some short hikes to waterfalls.

Brochures can be downloaded from the US Forest Service: Brochures, Guides, and Publications
In particular, the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway and Thundering Waters brochures would be useful.

If you want to go to Crater Lake, this is one route to get there from I-5. If not, head back to Medford via highways 230 and 62.

Not sure what kind of food you like, but there's a Thai restaurant in Medford that's nothing fancy but we liked it. Haven't been there for several years, but it looks like it's still there: Siam Cafe (restaurant site, Yelp reviews).

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
Wow, Cafe Maddalena is still there! We had dinner there on our wedding night 25 years ago. Good memories.

Another wow. Looks like a number of restaurants worth trying have popped up in Yreka, of all places. Good to know if we ever do that drive again!
Polytonic likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you Rare - we ended up going to crater lake from Portland via Eugene via Chemuth. We didn’t go via Roseburg.
we did stop in Lowell because they had a life-sized display of a covered bridge!

crater lake was mega nice to see. After that we ate in Prospect because we were hungry - food had mostly sold out in Crater Lake!

Search this Thread