Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

International travel restrictions when leaving Seattle?

Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)

I was at dinner last night, when a friend of mine stated she had to see her doctor to obtain a bill of "good health" prior to her entry to French Polynesia. Straight to the Flyertalk forums I went, and found the informative post which linked international travel document news listing each country's requirements for entry. For FP, it states "The medical certificate must confirm that the passenger is free from Coronavirus (COVID-19)." Seattlelites, help me out here. We all know how impossible it is to get a corona virus test here in Seattle unless you're on deaths doorstep AND have significant exposure, much less get a negative test for the purpose of travel. Is anyone from Seattle getting questioned during their international travels yet?

My question for all you guys - what do you think the chances of Seattle becoming a restricted point of origin for international travel? I have a trip to Fiji in 10 days, and while Fiji only restricts entrance for persons traveling from China, Italy, Iran and Korea within the last 14 days, is it only a matter of time before Seattle is on the list? Thank goodness I returned from Italy 15 days ago or I'd have to cancel my Fiji trip Am posting here to get feedback from Seattle travellers.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Unless they cut back on testing to mechanically make the numbers look better, we should expect the Seattle MSA to have 400+ confirmed cases in ~10 days. That will put them where Italy was roughly 10 days ago, though perhaps concentrated in a smaller population. So there is certainly some risk.

That said, I assume Fiji has more or lose from offending the US than it does from offending Italy. Also, as the situation becomes worse everywhere (except China, ironically), targeted travel restrictions will become increasingly less effective.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:14 pm

i would at the very least get a medical note from your doctor just in case. I mean i can call and get a note and have it ready for me same day
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by milypan
Unless they cut back on testing to mechanically make the numbers look better, we should expect the Seattle MSA to have 400+ confirmed cases in ~10 days.
Update: They're already at 500+ in just 6 days. I figured "400+" to be conservative, but sad to see it was even more conservative than I'd expected.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that anyone will care about point of departure. Rather, if there are regional differentials, they will most likely be based on whether one has been in or around Seattle within the past 14+ days.

Thus, the issue won't be SEA departures, but where you've been, even if you are departing from elsewhere.

None of that has anything to do with the possibility of domestic travel restrictions.

Not worth worrying about until and unless it happens as there are always permutations and until one knows what those are, there is nothing to be done.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by milypan
Unless they cut back on testing to mechanically make the numbers look better, we should expect the Seattle MSA to have 400+ confirmed cases in ~10 days. That will put them where Italy was roughly 10 days ago, though perhaps concentrated in a smaller population. So there is certainly some risk.

That said, I assume Fiji has more or lose from offending the US than it does from offending Italy. Also, as the situation becomes worse everywhere (except China, ironically), targeted travel restrictions will become increasingly less effective.
I don't think it has much to do with "offending" the US - Think about it, a small country without resources to fight the virus or deal with lots of sick people! Maybe they're just trying to prevent the virus in their country and protect their own citizens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.