FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pacific-northwest-759/)
-   -   Good hotels for plane-spotting (SEA - YVR) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pacific-northwest/1969623-good-hotels-plane-spotting-sea-yvr.html)

evergrn May 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Good hotels for plane-spotting (SEA - YVR)

Asides from Fairmont YVR (too expensive, already stayed many times) and HGI Mukilteo (would like something a bit nicer), which hotels are great for plane-spotting in the SEA-YVR corridor?
Would like a hotel where at least half the rooms have views of planes taking off / landing, with the planes close enough so that you can make out which airline it is.
Ideally, also a nice hotel (Hilton/Doubletree level or better, not a motel or budget place like Hampton/HIE).

I've stayed at Westin YVR, but the runways are way too far.
Runway views are also a bit too obstructed from Doubletree SEA, although it's possible I didn't stay at a high enough floor.

LAX seems to be blessed with several hotels that are great for plane-spotting... Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, etc.
If there's anything comparable up by SEA/YVR, I'd like to know.

david55 May 20, 2019 7:22 am

The Crown Plaza across the street from the airport is the tallest hotel at SeaTac and may offer some runway views from a top floor. The Coast Gateway is actually on the airport property....closest to the runways.... and may offer a view from a top floor as well.

evergrn Jun 3, 2019 12:13 am

Originally Posted by david55 (Post 31119403)
The Crown Plaza across the street from the airport is the tallest hotel at SeaTac and may offer some runway views from a top floor. The Coast Gateway is actually on the airport property....closest to the runways.... and may offer a view from a top floor as well.

I've stayed at that CP, but it's been too long and can't remember the view from there (was still Holiday Inn when I stayed).
I will try to look for some pics from folks who've stayed there (TA, Yelp, etc) and see if I can make some sort of comparison vs the views from Doubletree where I've stayed more recently.
(I don't think I'd want to stay at a Coast)

Smiley90 Jun 3, 2019 12:20 am

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 31098910)
Asides from Fairmont YVR (too expensive, already stayed many times) and HGI Mukilteo (would like something a bit nicer), which hotels are great for plane-spotting in the SEA-YVR corridor?
Would like a hotel where at least half the rooms have views of planes taking off / landing, with the planes close enough so that you can make out which airline it is.
Ideally, also a nice hotel (Hilton/Doubletree level or better, not a motel or budget place like Hampton/HIE).

I've stayed at Westin YVR, but the runways are way too far.
Runway views are also a bit too obstructed from Doubletree SEA, although it's possible I didn't stay at a high enough floor.

LAX seems to be blessed with several hotels that are great for plane-spotting... Hyatt, Crowne Plaza, etc.
If there's anything comparable up by SEA/YVR, I'd like to know.

Given that YVR is on its own islands, the fairmont (and the pacific gateway hotel) are your only options to be "close" to the airport, unfortunately. Though if the planes land from the east they'll fly right past the pacific gateway hotel (above the bridge) and it's quite a sight.