Portland getaway hotel suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland getaway hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 1:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thinking about doing a family weekend trip to Portland.
Haven't been there in 20years.
I have heard it's some problems with homeless, drug use and shuttered businesses, but it's also nothing like downtown Seattle.
Is it true?
If I stay at Kimpton Riverplace for instance, you can walk along the river to Pearl District, Chinatown and the lower tram station? And is that a safe and pleasant walk?
I've been to Portland twice this year. In February I stayed at the Doubletree Portland which is on the other side of the river from downtown. It's very quiet and there are no homeless people there at all.

In April I stayed at The Nines. The area near The Nines is definitely scuzzier than it was in 2018 when I'd last been around. There were more homeless people and more of their tents and encampments along the streets and by the light rail than there had been. I never felt unsafe including at night and I didn't regret walking or riding transit but it was noticeable.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've been to Portland twice this year. In February I stayed at the Doubletree Portland which is on the other side of the river from downtown. It's very quiet and there are no homeless people there at all.

In April I stayed at The Nines. The area near The Nines is definitely scuzzier than it was in 2018 when I'd last been around. There were more homeless people and more of their tents and encampments along the streets and by the light rail than there had been. I never felt unsafe including at night and I didn't regret walking or riding transit but it was noticeable.
Thanks.
Okay, I may give downtown Portland a miss. (downtown Seattle is like what you describe, which is that it's not unsafe per se but it's also just not pleasant to walk around due to all the problems)
The other side of the river, where DT Portland is, is more of a nondescript area with nothing too exciting, correct?
Old May 18, 2021, 8:38 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What about an out-of-town stay at McMenamin's Edgefield? Assuming you can get a vehicle (sometimes easier said than done) it's a very short ride from PDX, and springtime in the Columbia Gorge and Hood River Valley is about as good as it gets - waterfalls full of water from runoff, orchards and vineyards in the Hood River Valley in bloom, still skiing on Mount Hood, or travel an hour east for the funky Maryhill Museum and nearby copy of Stonehenge on the clifftops overlooking the great river. If you want to day trip into downtown Portland, it's also a short drive.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:32 pm

Thank you very much, I will look into Columbia Gorge.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thank you very much, I will look into Columbia Gorge.
If you're going to explore the Columbia Gorge, you could also ski and stay at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood.

David
Old May 19, 2021, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by DELee
If you're going to explore the Columbia Gorge, you could also ski and stay at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood.

David
thanks for the suggestion.
For my date, I guess they don’t have a room that accommodates a family of 4 and 2 rooms would be too much.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: Dust...
Getting a room for a weekend at Edgefield will be more of an issue than a rental. I tried in early spring and they didn't have anything available for the remainder of the year.

...looks like family hostel has some availability. This would be a great alternative if you're concerned about having pleasant family walks since downtown will probably be off your list.

Last edited by symbols; May 19, 2021 at 9:44 am
Old May 22, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thinking about doing a family weekend trip to Portland.
Haven't been there in 20years.
I have heard it's some problems with homeless, drug use and shuttered businesses, but it's also nothing like downtown Seattle.
Is it true?
If I stay at Kimpton Riverplace for instance, you can walk along the river to Pearl District, Chinatown and the lower tram station? And is that a safe and pleasant walk?
Originally Posted by CMK10

Thanks.
Okay, I may give downtown Portland a miss. (downtown Seattle is like what you describe, which is that it's not unsafe per se but it's also just not pleasant to walk around due to all the problems)
The other side of the river, where DT Portland is, is more of a nondescript area with nothing too exciting, correct?
i traveled to PDX multiple times during Covid.

last time was mid April.

I stayed at Hyatt house at river place. The area was not a problem. You are at a street car station and can get around the city.

the downtown area where the nines is located have bern hammered by business closures. Many places were hit real hard with store and restaurant closures. This area has also been a hotspot fir the BLM demonstration and response demonstrations.

hyatt house and residence inn did not have a homeless problem. It’s the big construction area in the city.

ive also stayed by the airport near cascade station and hood ave. There is a holiday inn express that is near the light rail and has had a very good point rate vs hotel price rate where pre Covid in summer rates were high $100s or more but only 20K points which costs $100 on point selling deals

with restrictions being lifted things will start to get better.
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Hi all - hoping to refresh the info here a bit. Heading to Portland in February for Springsteen at the Moda - and wanting to make it a getaway weekend.

What is the downtown Portland situation like now?

And does anyone have recent info on the Heathman, and how suites there compare to the ones at the Sentinel?

TIA...
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CO FF
Hi all - hoping to refresh the info here a bit. Heading to Portland in February for Springsteen at the Moda - and wanting to make it a getaway weekend.

And does anyone have recent info on the Heathman, and how suites there compare to the ones at the Sentinel?

TIA...
im not local, I travel to PDX 3-4 times a year. I was there earlier this week.

downtown is fine. Yes there are homeless people. There are still areas with street store closures that haven’t re-opened.

im scheduled to travel there about 2 weeks before that concert date.

along 20 th and 11th there are many restaurants open and operating all along these streets and a few blocks either direction. This is the street car line.

there is a lot of construction going on southern end of downtown outside the loop around the city and near where University of oregon medical school/ hospital area near its waterfront campus and just north referred to as waterfront area.

I don’t know the schedule. They are doing work on the light rail red line. Last weekend the redline rom airport was out of service for track work. This is part of a big rail project going on.

the concert location, mondo center, is easily accessible via the light rail lines and the street car system goes by the rose quarter area. Mood and vet memorial arena are next to each other in rose quarter. Those street cars that run on 10th 11th run to the east side of the ri er and does that area before crossing back.

i can’t speak on those specific hotels you ask.

when I go I stay at other hotels.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by CO FF
Downtown is fine, a little quiet at night depending which part of downtown you're in. As djp98374 mentioned, yes, there are homeless people around. You'll be fine if you have your wits about you and TBH, I've never had anyone bother me.

Sadly, I don't have much hotel knowledge since I live here but there are a lot of new ones that have opened up in recent years. The Porter (quiet area), Hotel Vance, Hyatt Centric, Moxy, etc. I like the location of the latter two but they don't exactly scream fancy getaway hotel to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.