Reload this Page >

Coming to Seattle - December 21 through December 26

Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Hello,
I am coming/flying to Seattle, WA commencing on 12/21/17 through 12/26/17. Although I have been to Washington before (visited brother who previous lived in Federal Way, WA), I have never really explored Seattle and would like to know if anybody has recommendations for a solo traveler (traveling alone), adult male with no real itinerary but to wander around in the rain/dark or snow without aim. I don't plan to rent a car, as right now booking rental car options are expensive!

I will be staying at two Hilton Hotels; Doubletree Suites by Hilton Seattle Airport South Center and Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Seattle Airport. I would like to make the best of the trip, so I am merely asking for advice/recommendations as to not miss/waste an opportunity to have a good experience. My interest/hobbies are singing/music, whale watching (probably to late in the season for this), riding on the ferry, more of a nature kind of guy.

I see/read a lot of people asking questions about/or into museums, however I am not sure if I am interested in museums unless I have an educated tour guide explaining the importance or impact of each exhibits to me. What I am really trying to ask is, does one have to visit a museum in order to acquire a "liking"?

Initially, I was supposed to be visiting my lovely, gorgeous mother in Spokane, WA as we celebrate Christmas as a family. But due to the distance, prices of travel, i.e., plane, train and car rentals I don't think this is possible as I only have budgeted a minimum amount of money for my stay and eats in Seattle.

Also, I am a cold weather/rainy guy. So, visiting in December will not be a problem for me.
I would love some advice, recommendations of some sort from the travel exports if you will!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Livencali
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:02 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm assuming you're staying in those hotels because you're using points or have some great deal, right? Especially with the Southcenter location, you're going to be spending a long time in transit every day with public transport. You'll have a 15-20 min. walk from the hotel to the nearest bus stop where you can catch a bus downtown, or else take the hotel's shuttle to the airport and catch the light rail from the airport to downtown. Either way you're probably looking at an hour or more in each direction. The airport Doubletree is better located; it's a shorter walk from the airport light rail station, so if there's any way you can stay the whole time there, it will be a lot more convenient.

There's plenty to do in the winter around here. The ferries are fun, the downtown area and many of the neighborhoods are full of action, and nobody's going to force you to hit museums, although I will recommend two - the Museum of History and Industry located on Lake Union in the downtown/Amazonia area, and the Museum of Flight, located on Boeing Field roughly halfway between Seatac and downtown Seattle. https://mohai.org/ and Home | The Museum of Flight

For music and activities, check out the Stranger - https://www.thestranger.com/ - for its listing of venues and events.

Public transit route planner - https://m.tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Gardyloo,
Thank you kindly for responding to my post. I am not staying at neither Hotel on points, I am paying cash. I wanted to stay at both to get a nice experience as I reviewed photos and loved both. However, I am open to suggestion and based on your recommendations I am going to cancel my reservation for the Southcenter Hilton and extend my stay at the Doubletree Airport Hilton location. I love walking, and have no problem with walking for miles, but I am oppose to traffic and I am sure you that where I live, Los Angeles my second job is traffic on the 405 Monday through Sunday!

Additionally, thank you for the trip/tourist recommendations! I will complete my research.
Livencali
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
There are a bunch of 4* hotels downtown for under $100 on Hotwire, as low as $77. IMHO, you would be much better off with any of them than a hotel at the airport.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by livencali
I am not staying at neither Hotel on points, I am paying cash. I wanted to stay at both to get a nice experience as I reviewed photos and loved both.
Originally Posted by tatterdema
There are a bunch of 4* hotels downtown for under $100 on Hotwire, as low as $77. IMHO, you would be much better off with any of them than a hotel at the airport.
If you're paying cash, then I'd strongly suggest staying downtown. A quick look on Expedia shows that the Warwick Hotel in downtown Seattle is available for your nights for $91, $2 more than the airport Doubletree. But counting 2 x $3.50 for bus or train fare daily from the airport to downtown, it would actually be $5 cheaper than staying at the airport, and infinitely more convenient and interesting. The Warwick is a quality hotel, steps from numerous restaurants, clubs, cafes and bars. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Westlake light rail station (direct from the airport).

There are several other downtown hotels available for under $120, including the Hotel FIVE, the Theodore (formerly Roosevelt), even the downtown Hilton for $111. I wouldn't think twice about staying downtown; it will expand your options hugely. Seattle is very much a city of neighborhoods, and given your priorities I think staying downtown with its access to bus, streetcar and light rail lines, would make for a much more rewarding trip.

I grew up commuting on the 405 in LA (we called it the San Diego Freeway back in the day) so I know what you're talking about. Downtown Seattle is nothing like that.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you dearly for your recommendation. I love staying at the Hilton, and in addition to paying cash to stay there, I can earn Hilton points. But, I am open to suggestions, so I will research those hotels today.

Warm Regards,
Livencali
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
If you're paying cash, then I'd strongly suggest staying downtown. A quick look on Expedia shows that the Warwick Hotel in downtown Seattle is available for your nights for $91, $2 more than the airport Doubletree. But counting 2 x $3.50 for bus or train fare daily from the airport to downtown, it would actually be $5 cheaper than staying at the airport, and infinitely more convenient and interesting. The Warwick is a quality hotel, steps from numerous restaurants, clubs, cafes and bars. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Westlake light rail station (direct from the airport).

There are several other downtown hotels available for under $120, including the Hotel FIVE, the Theodore (formerly Roosevelt), even the downtown Hilton for $111. I wouldn't think twice about staying downtown; it will expand your options hugely. Seattle is very much a city of neighborhoods, and given your priorities I think staying downtown with its access to bus, streetcar and light rail lines, would make for a much more rewarding trip.

I grew up commuting on the 405 in LA (we called it the San Diego Freeway back in the day) so I know what you're talking about. Downtown Seattle is nothing like that.
Wow!
Thank you again! I guess I got to quickly cancel my Doubletree by Hilton Airport reservation right now! I took your advice and cancelled the Southcenter reservation and extended my stay at Doubletree Airport. Positive thing is I still have up until December 19th to cancel the reservation. I will be back......
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I agree with the previous comments. Staying near the airport or Southcenter isn't going to be the Seattle experience that you are hoping for. I'd definitely try to move downtown if you can as well.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
I agree with the previous comments. Staying near the airport or Southcenter isn't going to be the Seattle experience that you are hoping for. I'd definitely try to move downtown if you can as well.
Thank you for your feedback. I have moved my stay from near the Airport to Downtown Seattle, Hilton Garden Inn.

Cheers!
Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Thank you for your feedback. I have moved my stay from near the Airport to Downtown Seattle, Hilton Garden Inn.

Cheers!
Happy Holidays!
Enjoy! Happy holidays as well!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:24 pm

I love walking, and have no problem with walking for miles, but I am oppose to traffic and I am sure you that where I live, Los Angeles my second job is traffic on the 405 Monday through Sunday!
We also have the 405 here in the Seattle area. Only difference it isn't named as the San Diego Fwy and thankfully not as congested as the one you have down there.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I am sorry for the late post regarding my visit to Seattle in December 2017. I took the advice of some of you earlier responders for the Seattle experience to stay downtown. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Seattle.I loved the hotel, location and enjoyed my experiences, during the minimum activities. The most memorable was a whale watching tour. It was sooooooooo cold, lol. I thought I knew what cold meant/was/is. Thank you guys for lending your tips, advice etc! I truly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Hello,
I am sorry for the late post regarding my visit to Seattle in December 2017. I took the advice of some of you earlier responders for the Seattle experience to stay downtown. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Seattle.I loved the hotel, location and enjoyed my experiences, during the minimum activities. The most memorable was a whale watching tour. It was sooooooooo cold, lol. I thought I knew what cold meant/was/is. Thank you guys for lending your tips, advice etc! I truly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Thanks for coming back and letting us know! I know I really appreciate it, and wish more would do so. Are you glad you stayed downtown instead of at the airport? Lol, cold? If you thought it was cold then, you should be here right now. Getting down into the high teens at night in the outskirts.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks for coming back and letting us know! I know I really appreciate it, and wish more would do so. Are you glad you stayed downtown instead of at the airport? Lol, cold? If you thought it was cold then, you should be here right now. Getting down into the high teens at night in the outskirts.
Thank you for your response. Yes, staying downtown Seattle was by far the best advice/decision a traveler could make in order to experience the convenience and best of Seattle overall. The Hilton Garden Inn was close enough, or not too far from "The Market Place" and other important businesses as everything was right in your "backyard" so to speak. And yes, it was cold. Although I love, love cold weather and believed that I could really handle it, in any city during the winter without being uncomfortable, it taught me some things about myself, lol. In other words; Seattle really "showed me up" Next time, I will be sure to over insulate. And you mentioned that it's colder now than it was in December? OMG! I was about to come back to Washington in two weeks, 1st to visit my Mother in Spokane and head back to Seattle for more fun. Boy oh boy!

Cheers!
CKDGM and tatterdema like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.