Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smith Tower Observatory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Smith Tower Observatory

Planning to visit the bar one night and wanted to know if I'd be missing out on anything that is only accessible during the day? The point of visiting is to tour the building but I'm wondering if there are significant areas only open during daytime hours? Does the daytime "tour" offer anything of merit that I'd be missing by visiting the bar at night? Our schedule is tight and it's close to our hotel so I figure it'd be a fun place for a nightcap, but I don't want to miss the architectural focus of the tour if there are sections of the building that remain closed in the evenings. Can anyone offer some feedback? Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:55 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by OliverB
Planning to visit the bar one night and wanted to know if I'd be missing out on anything that is only accessible during the day? The point of visiting is to tour the building but I'm wondering if there are significant areas only open during daytime hours? Does the daytime "tour" offer anything of merit that I'd be missing by visiting the bar at night? Our schedule is tight and it's close to our hotel so I figure it'd be a fun place for a nightcap, but I don't want to miss the architectural focus of the tour if there are sections of the building that remain closed in the evenings. Can anyone offer some feedback? Thanks.
I haven't been up since they remodeled the Chinese Room and added the cafe/bar, but the tour has always been just of the lobby, the elevators (human-operated) and the tower floor where the Chinese Room and view decks are located. Otherwise it's just an old (and nice, but old) office building.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

That makes it really easy; thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I went there just last month (Sep. 2017); the tour is self-guided, and there are various interpretive displays on the history of the building and of the people who worked there back in the day, including both the obscure and the (in)famous. Fascinating and worth the time and money, IMO.

I believe that these interpretive displays (and some other upgrades to the building) were added by the new owner/manager, Unico Properties, who bought the tower in 2015.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Smith Tower was indeed fantastic although the bar itself kind of sucked (shoddy cocktails) and the music was way off when we visited. They were playing club style house music which kind of threw the atmosphere for us. The elevator operator told us they usually play period correct jazz / swing so that was kind of a drag. It was pouring rain so we didn't step outside but it was still 100% worth visiting. The Sky Needle on the other hand was a complete tourist trap rip-off and a total waste of time. I'll respond in the other thread when I have a minute this weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.