Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

SEATAC International Arrival

Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wylek
In the south (international arrivals) satellite you go through immigration, then pick up your checked luggage, then proceed to customs.

Arriving passengers
Upon exiting agriculture and baggage inspection, passengers ending their journey in Seattle will exit to the right (following the green walls). They will board the train to the main terminal, taking smaller luggage with them, but placing larger luggage on the belt to be claimed at Baggage Claim 1 of the main terminal.

Connecting passengers
Upon exiting agriculture and baggage inspection, connecting passengers will go left (following the orange walls) and check their luggage for the next flight. Agents from Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines will be available to help their passengers recheck and re-book any connecting flights if needed. If transferring to other airline carriers you will exit and recheck your bags at your airline's ticketing counter on the pre-secure side of Sea-Tac.

Sea-Tac Airport consists of one main terminal (with four concourses), and two satellites.

Note: A new "international arrivals facility" is scheduled to open in Fall 2020 Spring 2021. It will increase the number of international-capable gates (from 12 to 20) as well as the number of bag claim carousels (from four to seven).

Print Wikipost

SEATAC International Arrival

Old May 19, 2018, 9:13 am
cww

This worked well. Thanks to everyone for their tips and encouragement.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Mrs. ND76 and I are headed for HKG on Delta.
We arrive back into SEA at approximately 0755 local time, with our onward flight scheduled to leave at 0930 (which means being on the plane by 0915). What are the average wait times to go through CBP at SEA (I have GE, my bride does not)? What is TSA like after CBP? Is there any pre-check there? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
We arrive back into SEA at approximately 0755 local time, with our onward flight scheduled to leave at 0930 (which means being on the plane by 0915). What are the average wait times to go through CBP at SEA (I have GE, my bride does not)? What is TSA like after CBP? Is there any pre-check there? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Really depends on arrival time - and I've never been there that early.

Usually pretty quick, but on my last trip the flight was delayed, WAY delayed arrival, and with two widebodies just ahead of us it took about an hour Just before lunchtime IIRC. Someone else may have a better idea when the widebodies arrive, or just look at airport arrivals on one of flight status web sites.

Then you hop on the train and go to whickever terminal for departure - didn't have Pre that time, so didn't look for it, but probably should be in main departrure terminal (C and D IIRC).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:03 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
I did the HKG-SEA flight in June - I had GE, my travel companion did not. There was no GE line for me. Maybe took about 15-20 minutes for them to go through immigration. I still had to wait for my checked bag at the carousel though, and think I only had to wait about 5-10 minutes for them to finish with immigration after I got my bag. There was a bag re-check desk, and then the connection line which funnels you into a TSA checkpoint, and the local arrivals line (which I believe takes you to the underground tram and out to the unsecure side of the main terminal). The connection line did NOT have a precheck lane, and probably took a good 30 minutes to go through as a line had formed and there were several folks in wheelchairs ahead of us. So probably about 50 minutes for us to clear back to the secure side (If it was just me, I'm guessing that exiting via the tram out to the main terminal and going through the main TSA line with precheck might have been faster).

Only having done this flight once, I think if you don't check bags, you have a good shot at making the onward flight. (Perhaps try to sit closer to the front of the plane so you're in front of more people at the immigration and security re-clear line)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
I did the HKG-SEA flight in June - I had GE, my travel companion did not. There was no GE line for me. Maybe took about 15-20 minutes for them to go through immigration. I still had to wait for my checked bag at the carousel though, and think I only had to wait about 5-10 minutes for them to finish with immigration after I got my bag. There was a bag re-check desk, and then the connection line which funnels you into a TSA checkpoint, and the local arrivals line (which I believe takes you to the underground tram and out to the unsecure side of the main terminal). The connection line did NOT have a precheck lane, and probably took a good 30 minutes to go through as a line had formed and there were several folks in wheelchairs ahead of us. So probably about 50 minutes for us to clear back to the secure side (If it was just me, I'm guessing that exiting via the tram out to the main terminal and going through the main TSA line with precheck might have been faster).

Only having done this flight once, I think if you don't check bags, you have a good shot at making the onward flight. (Perhaps try to sit closer to the front of the plane so you're in front of more people at the immigration and security re-clear line)
If on same ticket this would be a drop off point, as bag should already be checked through to final destination. Pax just have to carry it though Customs and drop it on the belt, and at times there can be folks who help with that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:14 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If on same ticket this would be a drop off point, as bag should already be checked through to final destination. Pax just have to carry it though Customs and drop it on the belt, and at times there can be folks who help with that.
Sorry, wrong terminology - yes, it was just the drop off point with the bag checked through to the final destination. (Though there was a staffed desk at the end of the area for pax having any problems/issues).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Sorry, wrong terminology - yes, it was just the drop off point with the bag checked through to the final destination. (Though there was a staffed desk at the end of the area for pax having any problems/issues).
No worries, this gets posted quite a bit across different fora, so just want to make it as clear as possible for anyone doing this the first time.

Thanks for chiming in with info on (what I assume) is same flight and same time - I've arrived at SEA a few dozen times, but not at this time and IIRC never with checked luggage.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:13 pm

We're arriving on BA 53, 12:30 arrival. We have a separate ticket on AS 178, leaving at 6:50. Is there a way to claim our checked bag before customs, then check it on to the AS flight and get a boarding pass, then use the transiting passenger route? Or, do we have to go land-side to claim and then check in?

Last edited by wanna go now; Aug 26, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: typo on time
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by wanna go now
We're arriving on BA 53, 12:30 arrival. We have a separate ticket on AS 178, leaving at 6:50. Is there a way to claim our checked bag before customs, then check it on to the AS flight and get a boarding pass, then use the transiting passenger route? Or, do we have to go land-side to claim and then check in?
What "transiting pax route?"

No such thing in the US - a reason many people refuse to connect in US @:-)

You HAVE to collect your luggage before Customs (after Immigration), go outside security, where you can drop off your luggage at AS counter and spend a few hours in the town of Seatac. Or however you choose to spend the time
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:41 pm

The threads above mention that only pax ending their trip in SEA need to go out to collect their luggage at carousel #1 . Other pax stay in the secure area (this is what I called the transiting pax route). If you have a connecting flight and your bag is checked through, you go to your gate. As in, after customs, you place your bag on a belt and it finds its way to your flight.

Our bags won't be checked through. So, is there anyone from AS back where that belt would be for through-checked bags? Would they be able to check our bags to PDX and issue a boarding pass?

I suspect the answer is no. We would need to go land-side, to carousel #1 , to get our bags, schlep on over to the AS ticket counter and check in. Or, take our bag with us to the gate (they will be small enough to be carry-on for the PDX flight if necessary). Probably need to pull off the tag for LHR to SEA so they appear to be carry on for that flight, too.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

The threads above mention that only pax ending their trip in SEA need to go out to collect their luggage at carousel #1 . Other pax stay in the secure area (this is what I called the transiting pax route). If you have a connecting flight and your bag is checked through, you go to your gate. As in, after customs, you place your bag on a belt and it finds its way to your flight.

Our bags won't be checked through. So, is there anyone from AS back where that belt would be for through-checked bags? Would they be able to check our bags to PDX and issue a boarding pass?

I suspect the answer is no. We would need to go land-side, to carousel
#1 , to get our bags, schlep on over to the AS ticket counter and check in. Or, take our bag with us to the gate (they will be small enough to be carry-on for the PDX flight if necessary). Probably need to pull off the tag for LHR to SEA so they appear to be carry on for that flight, too.
You may want to re-read those posts @:-)

One reason to avoid US airports is that, unlike many other countries, the United States does not allow sterile transit, which means that for any stop in the US, you have to pass through Customs and Immigration. This policy applies to all landings:
Trust me, I just arrived on puddlejumper from Canada on AS with NO checked luggage, and after Customs found myself outside of security. I did not look for AS or any employees by the place where you would drop off your luggage, but I am pretty certain that even IF there was someone there, it would be only to assist in putting luggage on the belt.

You HAVE to go outside security when arriving USA @:-)

I do this several times a year for over a decade.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:05 pm

I guess I misunderstood the above. I got that there was a TSA check even for transiting pax, but I thought it was a separate one from the one we'd go through if we go land side to check in. If everyone is funneled out to land side, toward the ticket counters, then I guess we'll schlep on over to AS and check in as if we just got to the airport.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:33 pm

I guess I misunderstood the above. I got that there was a TSA check even for transiting pax, but I thought it was a separate one from the one we'd go through if we go land side to check in. If everyone is funneled out to land side, toward the ticket counters, then I guess we'll schlep on over to AS and check in as if we just got to the airport.
Actually ..... it's a tad more complicated than that. Arrivals are in South Terminal, and in order to get to AS counters (and main airport) you take the underground train (subway). It runs pretty often, takes a couple of minutes, and is actually pretty well marked.

And as you just noted, everyone goes though TSA check before going airside on connecting flights arriving from most non US destination (pre-clearance from most Canadian, Irish and handful of other airports clear security there).

Come to think of it, it was announced that it's coming to Britain, but I don't recall when.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I need some advice here. My wife and I are coming on the OZ flight from ICN landing at 12:35 and we need to book our connecting flight to PDX. We're going to be in Asia for almost 2 weeks so we're definitely going to have checked baggage. Since we'll have 2 separate PNR's, would you book the 3 or 4 PM AS shuttle down to PDX?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by portland67
I need some advice here. My wife and I are coming on the OZ flight from ICN landing at 12:35 and we need to book our connecting flight to PDX. We're going to be in Asia for almost 2 weeks so we're definitely going to have checked baggage. Since we'll have 2 separate PNR's, would you book the 3 or 4 PM AS shuttle down to PDX?
You *should* be safe with a 2 hour and 25 minute connection, though IIRC some heavies from Europe arrive at that time.

One other thing, if soon, the "partial gov't shutdown" is currently having an effect as TSA employees are calling in sick causing longer delays and solution does not appear to be imminent.

Of course as long as seats are available on the next flight they *should* put you on the next flight, but there's never a guarantee. I'm more familiar with UA, to the best of my knowledge they still apply the "flat tire" rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.