Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA light rail to downtown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

SEA light rail to downtown

A relative of mine is flying in from Japan and is staying in downtown Seattle. Is the light rail safe during daytime for a foreign female traveler to take to downtown? I've biked through Rainier Valley and sometimes go eat there and that whole area seems fine, but I don't know what it's like on the train.

I won't be able to go pick her up at SEA. I've taken the Gray Line airport to hotel bus before, but it looks like Gray Line no longer runs that service. There's something called the Downtown Airporter shuttle, but it doesn't go to her hotel and I just don't think she'll be able to find her way once she gets off at the nearest hotel. Taxi would cost her close to $50, but I guess that would be the last resort if the light rail isn't going to work out.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
I would not hesitate to recommend it. As long as she uses commons sense, keeps an eye on her bags, etc, she should be fine. I work in a downtown hotel, and we recommend it to travelers who ask for less expensive transportation.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. I'm glad to hear that.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I've taken it several times from the airport to get directly to games at Safeco Field and light rail is by far the best way to get downtown.

I echo tatterdema's common sense safety suggestions, but I wouldn't have any trouble recommending it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:22 am

I agree with the consensus that she should be safe. The light rail goes through a somewhat rough neighborhood, but if she's not getting off until downtown I'd see no issue.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I traverse MLK Blvd all the time, and it does get a little rough around the edges at night, during the daytime it's perfectly fine.

No hesitation here.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
A good reasonably priced option is Shuttle Express -- $18 to most downtown hotels -- and they will drop her off at her hotel. She is inevitably going to be tired from the long flight and Shuttle Express seems like a very safe option for a female foreign traveler!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is it safe to ride from Seattle Amtrak departing after 10 pm on a Sunday to the airport? I suppose I could take a seat in the first car closest to the driver.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:36 am

On their webpage, Shuttle Express says "on trips from the airport, our vans leave Sea-Tac Airport on demand". I'm not exactly sure what they mean by that. Maybe there is a bit of a wait until the van gets full?

Light rail would be easy enough. And the Rainier Valley is no less safe than any other part of Seattle. Not sure why it is being characterized as rough.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by boxo
Is it safe to ride from Seattle Amtrak departing after 10 pm on a Sunday to the airport? I suppose I could take a seat in the first car closest to the driver.
I see no reason to be concerned.
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
A relative of mine is flying in from Japan and is staying in downtown Seattle. Is the light rail safe during daytime for a foreign female traveler to take to downtown? I've biked through Rainier Valley and sometimes go eat there and that whole area seems fine, but I don't know what it's like on the train.

I won't be able to go pick her up at SEA. I've taken the Gray Line airport to hotel bus before, but it looks like Gray Line no longer runs that service. There's something called the Downtown Airporter shuttle, but it doesn't go to her hotel and I just don't think she'll be able to find her way once she gets off at the nearest hotel. Taxi would cost her close to $50, but I guess that would be the last resort if the light rail isn't going to work out.
Sorry,

somehow managed to miss this thread earlier :blush:

At any rate, I do this EVERY time I visit SEA, and can report that I have seen Asian tourists (suppose they could be local, but they had that "tourist" look) on the train. Should be no problems at all, especially during day.

As to the later Amtrak question, I think even 10 p.m. should be OK, IIRC it's pretty close from there to the station. I always walk like I have a purpose and everyone leaves me alone.
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thanks. I've only ever taken SEA's light rail during daylight hours and am a solo minority female traveler, so I thought why not ask what'd it'd be like on a weekend night.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
Thanks. I've only ever taken SEA's light rail during daylight hours and am a solo minority female traveler, so I thought why not ask what'd it'd be like on a weekend night.
Don't know that I've taken it after dark, but definitely remember walking around Amtrak station area after dark with no concern. Quite a few people around, though I did see some homeless as well.
boxo likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:02 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I just wanted to comment here that the distance from the light rail station to the airport terminal is greater than what my wife (and likely some others with mobility restrictions) could comfortably handle. There is a large parking garage to cross.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Maglev
I just wanted to comment here that the distance from the light rail station to the airport terminal is greater than what my wife (and likely some others with mobility restrictions) could comfortably handle. There is a large parking garage to cross.

that's similar to other airports length from terminal to subway distances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.