Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance at SEATAC -- allow extra time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

We'll be flying on a Monday afternoon on Southwest from Seatac, in October. There's four of us, two middle-aged and two elderly. We won't have our own wheelchairs, although we'll need wheelchair assistance for the elderly passengers, at least, and probably for all four of us so we can stay together with them. I've already made that request to Southwest Air.

My question is: about how much extra time should we allow at the airport to wait for wheelchairs or a cart and driver to become available? Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by Lois Rosewood
My question is: about how much extra time should we allow at the airport to wait for wheelchairs or a cart and driver to become available? Thanks!
I'm not sure, exactly, but it probably depends where you are starting from (curbside drop-off vs. parking in the garage). The Sea-Tac website has some information that may be useful to you (https://www.portseattle.org/services...chair-services). It looks like Prospect Air Services handles wheelchair assistance prior to the ticket counter, and then your airline handles it after that point.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Wylek. We will be dropped off by a taxi.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:19 pm

This is a good question even though the original poster already took the flight. Someday, I may need a wheelchair.

Thinking through the process, my guess is:
No checked bags, boarding pass already printed or on smartphone, TSA PreCheck eligible, able to walk fast, knows the airport layout, no wheelchair needed: arrive at the airport 55 minutes before departure

No checked bags, boarding pass already printed or on smartphone, no TSA PreCheck, able to walk fast, knows the airport layout, no wheelchair needed: arrive at the airport 90-100 minutes before departure, 110-125 minutes during the busiest holiday travel days

No checked bags, no TSA PreCheck, needs wheelchair: wait for wheelchair attendant to come (additional 40 minutes), slower transit time to gate (20 minutes), total time: 2.5 hours ahead of time, 3.25 hours ahead of time during the busiest holiday travel days.

Checked bags, needs wheel chair: add 35 minutes making it 3 hours 5 minutes arrival at airport ahead of flight.

If the person in a wheelchair has to use the toilet often, make adjustments to time needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.