Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
Hello, anybody there?

Just checking for echo...
Old Oct 15, 2001, 8:25 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
ECHO...ECHo...ECho...Echo...echo...ech...ec..e..ah h fuggedaboudit.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 4:33 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Hey, someone tried to revive AeroCalifornia and I didn't notice..... :-O

Let's try this again:

So what do you guys thing about the proposed trans-border connection between San Ysidro/suburban San Diego and the Tijuana Airport? Would an easier crossing directly into TIJ airport build market share for AeroCalifornia, since people traveling Southern California to Mexico would have access to AeroCalifornia's many direct flights, and they would avoid the ~$80 taxes for customs and immigration??
Old Nov 9, 2001, 9:52 am

Earlier this week, I heard from a very reliable source (a key decisionmaker in the plan) that the Cross Border Terminal plans are about to be scrapped unless the private-sector developer makes great headway soon in advancing the project.

So I guess AeroCalifornia flyers from San Diego and SoCal will have to continue crossing the border through existing ports of entry to reach the TIJ airport.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 3:59 am
Original Poster

The cross border thing would be a terrific idea: it would permit connecting with RO!

Seriously, what is Aero California like?
Old Jan 9, 2002, 9:49 am

Well.... *looks around sheepishly* .... _I've_ never flown them.... but I have friends who have. ;-) No, the think is, domestic fares in Mexico are soooo expensive because of lack of competition: I am in El Paso/Juarez and I'd like to visit friends in Monterrey. The nonstop flight is 90 min. The lowest round trip fare is $428!! So, many times I transit the US on Continental when flying far in Mexico since earning twice the mileage by flying twice the distance, plus elite bonses, upgrades, etc. make it worthwhile for me. In the past, I have taken MX and AM, but I haven't had a chance to fly AeroCalifornia.

But...... as I mentioned, air service in Mexico is very limited, and considering that AM and MX have the same parent-- essentially MX flies from all cities into Mexico City; AM and its commuters fly nonstop between other destinations; both split international destinations. AeroCalifornia grew out of need to serve the far northwestern part of Mexico, since long distances between Tijuana and the interior, and the Gulf of California make travel in that region difficult by car.

For the most part, though, travel within Mexico is easy, convenient, and comfortable by bus. There are several classes, and the top classes give you very large reclining seats-- literally along the lines of international business class, with only 6 rows of 3 seats across on each bus. Passengers get snacks and unlimited beverages.

I don't have trouble sleeping overnight on buses, and from Monterrey, you can go directly to most destinations north of Mexico City in less than 12 hours overnight. Tickets are relatively cheap: $50 one way for an overnight top of the line bus, with no restrictions, refundable until 4 hours before departure time. What's more, buses are half price for Mexican students (incl. exchange students) during break periods.

Check out these links: for the Uno line in the east along the Gulf of Mexico http://www.uno.com.mx/services.html

ETN has premier service in the central part of Mexico https://sunetn.etn.com.mx/etn/spanish/frame/inicio.html

Turistar has service throughout the northern part of Mexico. Here's a page with info on dozens of different bus lines: http://paginas.deagrapa.com/viajes/autobuses/

So, I guess this post is somewhat off topic, but Mexico could really use more competition in air service to raise the level of service bar, and reduce fares, just as long distance bus lines are competitive.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Well.... *looks around sheepishly* .... _I've_ never flown them.... but I have friends who have.</font>
LOL! $428 for that trip is VERY expensive; I'd take the bus, too. Thanks for the links.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Whoa, that IS expensive!

My ex lives in Mexico City and I'm always amazed when we compare the prices of CDG-MEX to MEX-CDG, it's almost a 1:2 ratio!
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:46 am

No problem, Blair. One thing that you can do out of Mexico is the Mexican Hat Dance, posted a while ago: fares from Mexico to Canada sometimes offer stopovers, so a person could visit a few cities in Mexico and the U.S. en route to Canada. As far as AeroCalifornia is concerned, they serve a number of cities from Mexico City and from Tijuana; to use them on a Mexican Hat Dance itinerary, you can fly from MEX to about anywhere in northern Mexico, then from there into TIJ. Aerocalifornia and Aeromexico have daily TIJ-LAX flights, then you can continue north on another carrier into Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.