Allegiant Air Experience

Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:53 pm

Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by jenseib
Does anyone know if gatechecking a stroller is still free? It was 2 years ago, but I have heard rumors of some airlines now charging to gate check the stroller. If thats the case, we would be better off buying a cheaper one down there. LOL!
Welcome to FlyerTalk. From the Allegiant website at http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFAQ.php it states:

* Can I take a stroller and car seat in at the gate? Each fare-paying passenger is allowed to take a stroller or a car seat to the boarding area. The stroller or car seat can also be checked at the time of check-in. If the stroller or car seat is taken to the gate, it will be "Gate Checked". This means that it will be put stowed in the cargo hold of the aircraft and will be available upon reaching the aircraft's final destination. The stroller or car seat can then be picked up at gate side.

It doesn't say it's free but it doesn't specify a charge, either. I haven't had the experience of flying Allegiant with a stroller so you may want to call them. Reservations Center: 1-702-505-8888

FlyerTalk (FT) has a Travel with Children forum where you may get more help with issues like this. It's located under Special Interest Travel here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:30 pm

Yeah, I read that on the site too, but in another area it says all gat checked bags will cost $35.. I am assuming this is not counted as a bag, but who knows with airlines. I did email them, but it may take days before I hear back. When I emailed them a few years ago it did.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
G4 has a great call center. Absolutely, the friendliest and best trained non-elite agents I have ever interacted with. They can't change their fee structure, but you always get service with a smile. Call and then report your results.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:24 am

Whats G4?
I got an email response, and yes strollers are gate checked for free on Allegiant.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
they fly into Rockport..or is it Rockford....
Rockport is a shoe.

RFD is ...well it's not.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by jenseib
Whats G4?
G4 is the IATA code for allegiant air.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Will be flying GSP to Sanford tomorrow. Had res for a few weeks, and found out today needed to change the return for me, but not for Mr. I also had to change the return airport...I was prepared to just buy a new ticket; but I had paid for luggage to be checked and wanted to see if that could transfer.

Amazing. Absolutely no hassle. Everything changed at no cost - in fact, they told me I have a $39 CREDIT as my new return is cheaper than my old one. All "extra" carried over. Was on hold for about 10 minutes - but CS was more than pleasant. And for no fees I can wait 10 minutes.

Fare was $19. Even with junk fees, taxes, and luggage check fees I am well under $100 for RT.

Living in NC, US is the major airline, and they charge for ALL on board stuff - and change fees start at $150. Planes are often dirty and service ranges from superior to... well, not. GSP is a more pleasant airport than CLT, and I certainly cannot envision that Sanford is worse than the craziness at MCO.

This flight will have to be pretty awful to offset experiences to date!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:34 pm

we flew allegiant from Cedar Rapids Iowa Non stop to vegas. It was about 1/2 price of other airlines, clean, friendly, and much quicker since it was nonstop vs. layovers in hubs. Their last minute deals are awesome. We will most definately fly again
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jay71
Wanted to add some follow-up observations as we just flew BLI to LAS return on Allegiant this past week. A lot of stuff people have already mentioned but I thought it'd be good go reiterate to support their comments:

- Yes, no freebies onboard. Price example: $2 for a can of pop.
- Staff (check-in, flight attendants, etc) were all friendly
- Seat pitch and width was great. Probably one of the best I've experienced in economy (and even better than an Economy + seat I had). I'm a tad under 6' and could stretch out nicely with my legs fully extended.
- Yes, it seems you are SOL if things go awry. We initially almost had our return flight canceled because BLI was fogged in. After delaying for an hour, we took off for BLI but again almost had to divert to the airport in Pasco in SE Washington. However, while we were descending to Pasco, the pilot got word to try BLI again and we eventually landed in BLI. Point being, the pamphlet handed out and the word being given by the FA's was that if we had stayed in LAS or landed in Pasco, we'd be on our own to find accommodations until the flight left the next morning. The only thing Allegiant would do was to help you get "Distressed Traveler" rates at a hotel. Not even meal money.

I'd fly Allegiant again but only at a very good price and probably not if I could foresee a chance of inclement weather.
As for irregular operations due to weather, NONE of the airlines pay for anything anymore. It sounds like G4 is just that same as the major airlines. I'm surprised you would expect them to do anything more.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
As for irregular operations due to weather, NONE of the airlines pay for anything anymore. It sounds like G4 is just that same as the major airlines. I'm surprised you would expect them to do anything more.
I don't think I stated anywhere in my post that I expected Allegiant to do anything more. I was merely just trying to state what to expect if one flies with them. My wife payed $28USD (before taxes and fees) each way for her flight to Vegas and I paid $28 to and $78 from. With those ticket fees, I do not think anyone should really expect any "extra" perks, freebies, or compensation for situations out of Allegiant's control. And believe you me, my wife and I certainly don't. If we do get anything, it's a bonus!

My comment with regards to hesitating to fly with Allegiant during potential inclement weather is more around the potential to get stuck when needing to arrive/return relatively on time. Allegiant flies out of smaller airports so I'd expect these smaller airports to be unable to deal with say, a heavy fog or a dump of snow, versus a major airport like YVR (which is closest to us). For that Vegas flight, we were expecting to land before 10pm and head to work the next day. It wasn't critical that I made it in to work (though I did) but if in another situation where I had to be back in town the day after I returned from a trip for whatever reason, and there was a very good chance for heavy fog or snow in Bellingham, I'm not sure if I'd fly Allegiant.
Also, I think we were more than ready to spend a night in Pasco and make the most of it since we've never been to eastern Washington, but again, it's setting expectation and some people might not be agreeable for such a situation.
The likelihood of canceled or rerouted flights is probably pretty small but I'd expect it to be probably way higher flying out of a small airport than flying out of a large nearby airport. Just cost/risk assessment.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:30 pm

Anyways, the original purpose of me seeking out this old thread was that I thought I'd give a heads up on a shady charge that my wife's credit card was nailed with after booking with Allegiant.

It seems like Allegiant has a partnership with Webloyalty which has some dodgey business practices. Basically, what happens is that when you purchase your Allegiant ticket, I think there's a link describing getting a $10 refund/discount or something like that. If you click on it, a secondary window appears that basically looks like some kind of spammy/crap sales pitch that you probably don't want to take part in. I think my wife simply closed the window, never clicking on an "I agree" button, never providing credit card info, never providing an email address; the standard thing you'd expect when you enter a purchase agreement online. The problem though, is that Allegiant likely has some kind of information sharing agreement with Webloyalty (see below) so you don't have to necessarily enter the info on the secondary window for Webloyalty to get it. Webloyalty then charges a recurring $10USD a month to the credit card you used to book with Allegiant. [Interestingly, they charged $12CDN in CDN to my wife's credit card so there wasn't a conversion notation for that line item that would have raised alarm bells.] The amount is small enough that it's easy to miss if you don't scrutinize your statement. What do you get in return? You're part of a travel club where you get discount travel deals (though I'm not sure what happened to the $10 refund/discount you're promised at the beginning.)

Apparently Webloyalty sends some kind of email confirmation but I read they design it so that it will likely marked or sent to the spam bin. There is a 800 number associated with the credit card line item. If you call it, it sounds like Webloyalty will cancel your subscription and refund your money relatively painlessly. The theory is, that you're just a drop in the bucket compared to all the others who didn't catch this charge. I'm assuming Allegiant gets a kickback of some sort. Google "Webloyalty scam" if you want more info.

This casts a bit of a bad light on Allegiant for me even though it isn't the only legit company that partners up with Webloyalty. I just don't know if I want to support this kind of business practice and I suppose I can vote with my dollars.

Anyways, if you book a flight though Allegiant, watch out for this scam. If you have booked with Allegiant, check your credit card statement for a $10-12 charge referencing Webloyalty or something to that effect.

Here's what Allegiant's privacy policy says (bold emphasis by me):
"Allegiant Air is concerned about your right to privacy. When you visit the Allegiant Air web site, you can be assured that any information you share with us will be treated confidentially. The only instances that would require us to disclose Customer information (i.e. - name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, etc.) is under legal subpoena, to verify billing information with the Customer's financial institution, credit card fraud detection or other valid law enforcement requests. In addition, from time to time, we may market certain third party services through our site. Should you choose to accept an offer from a third party, we will pass your relevant personal information, including your name, postal address, email address and your credit/debit card number, to that third party."
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: Costco Club
Allegiant Air?

Does anyone have any experience with Allegiant Air? All I've heard is Very good and very horrific stories, no in between, can anyone shed some light and share some of their experiences with Allegiant? How can their fares be so low? Is it just a no frills airline? Thanks.

SSF

Last edited by StevenSeagalFan; Jan 25, 2011 at 12:57 am
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
These threads should help:
Allegiant Air Experience?
Any experience with Allegiant Air?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:06 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
StevenSeagalFan,

Palal is correct, we already have a couple of threads devoted to Allegiant Air, so I'm merging yours with one of the older ones.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.