Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

How about the negotiations about an entry into an alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about the negotiations about an entry into an alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Moranguinho
Yes, I have this as a fact.

From the cleaning lady in the executive offices, I guess

Thats what is said above.

No it's not..read what you wrote

So, what is in your opinion the reason for TAMs bad safety record? Bad luck?

No, you brought that statement up and I just commented on it

Here is a link with an actual rating (sorry, german only, you have the airlines, haul-losses, fatalities and ratings over the last 30 years).

Yes and as you can see this is not a safety and maintenance rating, so it's somewhat beside the point , but still usable in the yellow press if you like

But, as this is not the TAM forum, this forum for sure is not the right place for this discussion.

Why not, there is so little going on in this forum due to Varig's current size and lack of program partners
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:02 am

Try to inform you about the methodology of this ranking before posting.

"Rating
So wurde gewertet. Oberster Indikator beim Sicherheitsindex ist der Optimalwert 0,0. Diese Zahl drückt für jede Airline aus, ob es in den letzten 36Jahren Abstürze oder Flugzeugverluste im Passagierbetrieb gab. 30 unfallfreie Jahre sind das Minimum. Positiv berücksichtigt wurden auch unfallfreie Zeitperioden sowie die Gesamtzahl der geflogenen Passagierkilometer. Die Datengrundlage dieser Liste bezieht sich ausschließlich auf die Vergangenheit einer Airline. Wichtig ist zu wissen, dass der Sicherheitsindex nichts über mögliche Unfallursachen aussagt, sondern einzig und allein eine statistische Größe widerspiegelt".
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
I already refered to that point.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
14 September 1993 - Lufthansa Flight 2904, in Warsaw an Airbus A320-211 coming from Frankfurt am Main with 70 people crashed into an earth wall at the end of the runway. A fire started in the left wing area and penetrated into the passenger cabin. The copilot and a passenger died. .
To be fair to LH, this accident highlights one of the shortcomings of the Airbus FBW system. The crew couldn't manually activate thrust reversers and spoilers.

http://sunnyday.mit.edu/safety-club/warsaw-report.html
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
To be fair to LH
^ to LH and any other airline.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
As in most accidents, in this accident also, human failure, even by the pilots, was involved.

But no problem: The accident was analysed, the causes were recognized and with technical improvements and improvment in training was ensured, that similiar accidents will hopefully not happen again.

This makes the difference between airlines with a good safety culture, and airlines with an impressing number of haul loss in the last ten or eleven years and innumberable incidents.

And even, in the inprobably case, that the bad safety record of TAM is only based on bad luck, I surely also in futere will consider well, wether or not I will fly with them, if there are other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.