Air Mexicana - business class

Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Air Mexicana - business class

Does anyone know how Air Mexicana is on business/first class? Have to take a long flight from NY to Puerto vallarta and wanted to know if it was worth it to redeem 60k miles for a trip in October?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
You know the drill- bigger seat with food on a real plate. Drinks are free on MEX in economy and Executive class. Airport lounge is not a big deal. But I have found recent trip that flights are full and slow to leave. Making up front a better deal. Even in biz, I had to go to galley for new drinks as FA were chatting. I have found the prices between econony and biz not a big difference, look into buying biz ticket and saving 60K miles for a real journey.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:19 am

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Often times Mexicana will sell upgrades at the airport for a very accessible price so that's another option.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Try buying the upgrade at the airport. as the last comment said. they usually charge about 50 dollares extra, it depends on your reservation code. but i do recommend you fly Clase Ejecutiva on Mexicana. When i fly to Mexico thats all i fly.. its the best
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'll be flying LAS-MEX in about a week. Does MX still sell gate upgrades, and if so how much would one be on this route? Can it be purchased online at checkin if I do it 24 hours prior to flight(can you even check online in for intl. itinerary on MX)?

Right now, EF shows C9/A9/D5 and coach is wide open so it looks light, right now. The biz cabin seat map shows only 3 out of 12 seats assigned.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I'm going to MEX next week on MX in Clase Ejecutiva. I actually just paid the A fare. The coach fare was pricing at about $750 and the A fare at about $1070. So, I just paid the A fare. I figured if I upgraded it would cost me $300 anyways.

I've done the counter upgrades twice now. Both on flights that were quite full in coach. Out of JFK it costs $150 to upgrade the JFK-MEX segment. Not sure about the connection to PVR.

Also, MX have switched terminals at JFK. They moved from T4 to T8 on June 1, 2008. I don't know if MX staff are working the counters or whether AA are doing it. Apparently, MX A/C/D pax are granted access to the Admirals Club.

I will report during the week of 7/21.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
About upgrades........
I flew twice nyc-mex-eze and back on C due to the good fare that doesn't exist anymore. My question is: Does anyone knows if it's possible to upgrade (at gate / counter) the leg MEX-EZE if flying Y and if so, how much does it cost?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AM Elite
Heavy rain season

I am a travel agent in Mexico, just be aware that from September untill late November you will experience hurricane and heavy storm season in Vallarta.

Regards

Originally Posted by singh1982
Does anyone know how Air Mexicana is on business/first class? Have to take a long flight from NY to Puerto vallarta and wanted to know if it was worth it to redeem 60k miles for a trip in October?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
True enough - the rain season begins in Mexico May - June (depending on where,) and ends in November. Puerto Vallarta can have days when it begins raining in the late afternoon after a gorgeous day, as well as at night; it can also be subject to occasional Pacific hurricanes (not as frequent as Gulf of Mexico, but nonetheless...) and the rain can add a significant humidity load to the heat. Hint: take insect repellent.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:53 am

If you are a member of Mexicana´s frequenta frequent flyer program...you can upgrade at the gate...but the airfare must be normal Y....As the demand on this sector is very high even with 42 business class style seats on each of two daily nonstops...
I travel often from the USA...and I am still able to find the low air fares...much lower than AA-CO-DL....
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Tried to recently upgrade from Y/C (full fare) to J/C on a recent MX flight between MEX & CUN. Initial contact was with Frecuenta desk two days before departure. Have never received so much incompetent and inaccurate information on any other carrier in the past. Was told to check with ticket desk at MEX, followed by Customer Service counter by Gate 18, followed by work agent at gate. In the end, no success with upgrade, and they wound up upgrading 3 Y/C customers on an oversold flight. Should have been a very simple transaction, and definitely not worth the effort.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My experiences over the many years (even DC-4, DC-6 and Comet IV-C MEX-LAX) is that Mexicana is OK on the hard product, but the soft product is extremely variable. Some good employees, friendly, attentive an wanting to please, but some others firmly holding down the opposite end.

When it comes time to anything that seems slightly nonstandard, ,any, if not most, line employees will demonstrate a fervent avoidance of making any decision and a preference for having "the next person" make a decision one might be held responsible for later. The level of personal empowerment is quite low.

Add a culture with a low tolerance for directness (e.g. tell people what they want to hear, if you don't know the answer or if the answer is not likely to please,) and you have some real opportunities for upset and service misses. (No, this is not racist cant, I am merely describing a facet frequently found in my natal culture.)

(Side note: the MX DeHavilland Comet IV-C XA-NAS in "Azteca de Oro" garb (29 pax in F, 52 in Y,) began service July 4, 1960, and was the first MEX-LAX jet service. Comet IV-C c/n 6424, ex-MX XA-NAR, which entered service later in 1962, is under an exacting reconstruction and rebuild in Seattle's Museum of Flight's Flight Restoration Center annex on the east side of Paine Field, and it will eventually join the many aircraft on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, south Seattle. It was nice to board an old friend again...

Those of you who want to see what the cockpit looked like - a far cry from today's aircraft! - look toward the bottom of this page at "Cockpit photograph of Comet IV-C operated by Mexicana XA-NAC showing E124 indicator unit in situ" - the page documents the early UK EKCO / E. K. Cole E-120 radar systems for civil aviation.)

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Tried to recently upgrade from Y/C (full fare) to J/C on a recent MX flight between MEX & CUN. Initial contact was with Frecuenta desk two days before departure. Have never received so much incompetent and inaccurate information on any other carrier in the past. Was told to check with ticket desk at MEX, followed by Customer Service counter by Gate 18, followed by work agent at gate. In the end, no success with upgrade, and they wound up upgrading 3 Y/C customers on an oversold flight. Should have been a very simple transaction, and definitely not worth the effort.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2008 at 5:34 pm Reason: add side note
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Mexicana, Aeromexico, AA, Continental, Fiesta Americana, Mayan Palace, Priority Club
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JDiver
Mexicana is OK on the hard product, but the soft product is extremely variable. Some good employees, friendly, attentive an wanting to please, but some others firmly holding down the opposite end.

When it comes time to anything that seems slightly nonstandard, ,any, if not most, line employees will demonstrate a fervent avoidance of making any decision and a preference for having "the next person" make a decision one might be held responsible for later. The level of personal empowerment is quite low.
This is so true...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:06 am

I was on a red eye flight from EZE via MEX to the US. I was in the Biz cabin. The FAs were doing dinner service. When it was my turn, she stared at me and asked - "What do you want?" - I thought I heard her wrong so, I said, "excuse me"? She then repeated again - "What do you want?"...At this point, I thought to myself, either her English is bad or she's just having a bad day. So, I declined dinner and went to sleep.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I flew JFK-CUN-MEX and MEX-JFK this past weekend, all flights in Clase Ejecutiva. It was two very different experiences.

Personally, I was disappointed that MX decided to move over to the AA terminal. I liked having them in T4. The used the shared use lounge, "The Lounge." It had great food and drink options. Now, MX grants its passengers access to the Admirals Club. It's not bad, but not great either.

The crew from JFK-CUN and CUN-MEX is the same and they were all great. 2 younger 20 something girls worked the Y cabin and the Senior 40ish year old woman worked the C cabin. They were all excellent, professional, eager to please and spoke excellent English. Meal service started about 45 minutes into the flight. C was 7/12. Maria, the C class FA, came round the cabin offering extra rolls, coffee, drinks well after the trays had been cleared. She even offered extras of food since they were overcatered. When we disembarked in CUN I had heard some American passengers complaining about how nasty she was and that they wanted to speak to the pilot. Something also happened in the Y cabin during the flight because the Policia Federal boarded the plane in CUN and arrested an American guy. Whatever, happened in Y I don't know. But, it did not affect the service in C. Another meal was served in C on the CUN-MEX segment. Both flights were very enjoyable.

Then, came MEX-JFK. I took the 1655 departure from MEX. The MX lounge is nothing special. It does offer nice views of the runway, free wifi, some snack options, and waiter service (they bring your food/drinks to you, or you can help yourself).

There were two 35-40 year old FAs and one 20 something year old FA. The younger of the two older FAs worked C, and the other two worked Y. Meal service started about 10 minutes into the air. 4 passengers declined their meal. I was absolutely starving because I had not eaten all day, and in fact since the previous night around 10pm. So, I asked for an extra salad. I was told none were left. Yet, 4 people declined their meal and the flight was catered for 16 according to the charts on the carts. So, they lied to me. Not worth getting upset over. They never offered coffee, so I asked for it. They never offered refills, so I asked for it. Then, as has been indicated on this board in the past, all FAs disappeared to the back of the plane for about 2 hours. During this time, other C class pax decided to help themselves to drinks/snacks up front.

So, all in all, I had two different experiences. I've flown MX several times before in C and Y. I've never had bad service before. Perhaps I've just been lucky!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.