Flying Mexican on Award travel frm United

Old Jan 7, 02, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Flying Mexican on Award travel frm United

Hi, Will be using Mexicana on Award travel next week to Cancun (from LAX via Mexico City) then non stop back. Any ideas on Mexicana Star Gold treatment? Any possibilities of upgrading award travel or operational upgrades?

I also heard MExicana opened a very nice lounge in MEX, worthy visiting?

thanks in advance!!
Old Jan 7, 02, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
MX used to have an unwritten policy of upgrading Star Gold (at least on paid fares).

The best thing is to go to the counter, show your star gold card and ask for the possibilities for an upgrade.

I was successful 50% of the time; 100% on transborder flights, less so in Mexico. Some agents know what you are talking about, others don't.
Old Jan 7, 02, 3:29 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Initially Mexicana was promoting their C service so we got the upgrade for granted.

Recently they are more selective and trying to promote their own FF Program. Apparently to their own FFlyers, once GOLD they're automatically upgraded, even in Intl Services. Others (like myself) UA 1K and RG Gold have been denied the upgrade...

Nevertheless BlondeBomber's suggestion is worth the effort.

Bear in mind that though Y seats are boring due to no TV, their meal service and overall Y service is interesting.

The MX International lounge at MEX (above UA's and AA's floor) is definitely worth the visit. If you expect a long layover at MEX go to the lounge, take a break at their GYM, have a shower or take a sauna (not in this order...please!!)

[This message has been edited by pb9997 (edited 01-07-2002).]
Old Jan 8, 02, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Thank you both for the great info!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: