Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

anyone ever fly copa or lasca? Which is better?

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a trip in December from Lax to Gye. Both Copa and Lasca fly. US carriers are though atl, mia or ewr and are mostly sold out. I have never heard of these airlines. I want to fly business. Any recommedations??
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
Originally Posted by dinise
I am planning a trip in December from Lax to Gye. Both Copa and Lasca fly. US carriers are though atl, mia or ewr and are mostly sold out. I have never heard of these airlines. I want to fly business. Any recommedations??

Never flew Lasca, but I've flown COPA a lot. COPA was 49% owned by Continental (they recently sold off some more shares) and they are based out of Panama, so all flights connect thru there.

They are a very good airline IMHO - and if you have status on OnePass you stand a good chance of getting upgraded. Downside is they fly 737s and I have two friends who've done that from LAX and they were a little cramped. PTY is a great airport to transit thru - no immigration or customs is you're just connecting.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
COPA / CM is the Panamanian company, a strong affiliate of CO / Skyteam. My nephew has been opped up a few times using his CO FF card.

LASCA? Maybe you mean LACSA / LR, as OAG does not list any LASCA. LACSA, AVIATECA and NICA and TACA are all part of Grupo TACA / TA out of El Salvador. Associated with AA and TAM, iirc only redeemable miles on AA.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I think different folks in the forum have different preferences-- my preference is for COPA. Upsides: earn mileage in OnePass, and more generous with meals in coach (i.e. free coach meals on COPA and pay sandwiches on LACSA). I haven't flown Business enough on LACSA to really compare it to COPA. The TACA/American Airlines relationship will not exist in December so the miles you earn will go to a Distancia account and may not be of much use for you.

With both options you will have a movie in-flight, with red-eye timing for the flight down and a late afternoon return, and make a quick connection in a smallish but functional airport, although Panama has more shopping options and more fair prices for food and souvenirs. The San Jose Airport food prices are the highest I've seen anywhere ever--- a small Church's Chicken meal for like $8!!

FWIW, although LACSA is part of Grupo Taca, the LACSA flights are identified as LACSA, have Costa Rican crews, and have a subtle, distinct feel from the El Salvador-based TACA flights. LACSA/TACA flies new A320s and 319s, and there are a couple 321s in the fleet. COPA will be newer long range 737s although the PTY-GYE flight may be a somewhat older short-haul 737.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:23 am
Original Poster

thank you for your replies. I have decided to go on Copa. They have shorter flights on the outbound. And it seems like an OK airline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.