Porter Airlines

Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nihonto
Connecting in Toronto to go to Montreal.

They are splitting the fees up per connection which I have never seen before. I was wondering they they were nailing AC on this route and now I've been scammed. Read the bag fee policy and read it again and I don't see why they are charging more if you need to make a connection.

Two bags to Toronto is $60 and after connecting in Toronto another $67 to Montreal. If I put it all in one bag I am overweight and they want $75 per flight for that, so $150 in bag fees. Plus tax. So that's $300 spent on the bag plus HST and that's $345 for the bag. My ticket cost $327. AC on this route was cheaper. This all gets blown out by calculating bags per connection. I'm up to $700 now on a $327 ticket.

This is pure nazi now. I hope something is wrong with the booking engine as the text says it's supposed to be per direction. Anyone confirm connecting through Toronto that they are making you pay twice?

Going to go back to the train but those .......s are doing bag fees too now I think.

Hell I should just be buying a seat for it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nihonto
Hell I should just be buying a seat for it.
More on this problem.... be warned.

This was bought through Amex Travel Canada. Porter said this happened because the ticket was booked as four oneway segments. And that there was nothing they could do about it as it was booked by Amex Travel Canada (the website, which is something different from platinum/centurion travel services).

Called Amex said that "because you chose your own times" ( from the choices they gave me) "this is how it's done and there is nothing we can do about it."

I said that they would have to do something because they don't inform the customer they're booking oneway segments, but show it to the customer as a single ticket, and that they're racking up bag fees to the customer by doing this. My one bag is 70 pounds, I get dinged $75+tax per connection when booked like this which comes out to more than the cost of the ticket.

If you have two small bags then it's almost the same thing, comes out to $127 per direction.

Flying today so don't know what they will do, but it's something to be warned about that the amextravel (canada) website and porter are not playing nicely together probably because some programmer somewhere doesn't know it's not the same thing to book flights as oneways instead of as a single route, especially with Porter and now that there are bag fees the site seems to care where it may never have in the past.

-EDIT: Amex and Porter got their heads together and fixed the ticket. Hopefully they will fix the issue in the booking system next.

Last edited by nihonto; Jul 15, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by nigelloring
Dear nigelloring,

Because you’ve been such a loyal passenger with us, I’m following up to invite you to gain early access to our new program – Porter Premium Access – with priority service for our best customers. We believe these exclusive benefits will make your travel with us even easier, starting June 1, 2015.

Premium Access includes these benefits and recognition:
• Priority check-in
• One complimentary checked bag
• Priority baggage service
• Priority security lane
• Priority boarding
• Priority call centre service
• Priority re-accommodation, in case of delay

Premium Access officially launches this fall as part of our re-designed VIPorter frequent flyer program. As one of our best customers, you can enjoy these benefits early during a summer pilot version of Premium Access.

The pilot program is by invitation only for select VIPorter members. To accept the invitation, visit flyporter.com/premium to verify your contact details. After accepting your invitation online, Premium Access benefits are available every time you fly by simply adding your VIPorter number to each reservation. A Premium Access membership card will be delivered to you approximately seven business days after enrolling.

Since you will be enjoying these benefits early, I would appreciate you telling us how we’re doing and how we can improve your experience. Your feedback will directly influence the final program when it officially launches in the fall.

Best regards,

Robert Deluce
President and Chief Executive Officer
Anybody have reports on this? I'm a bit unclear about the real benefit other than the baggage fees and, I suppose, priority call-centre response.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:42 pm

Porter has been caught lying:

https://soundcloud.com/airpassengerr...e-compensation

Porter passengers have a legal RIGHT to compensation for reasonable expenses in the case of baggage delays. Up to $ 1,800. But all the agent mentions are vouchers of $25 per 24 hours. I understand these vouchers are for future booking with Porter - not something that will buy a shirt at the next clothes store.

Porter has since changed the wording on their website. Compare
https://archive.is/ISxtF
with
https://www.flyporter.com/Travel/Bag...?culture=en-CA

Last edited by sokolov; Aug 9, 2015 at 3:21 pm Reason: Added changed wording on website
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26029983/

Porter's past secret problems spark concerns over airline safety

Regulators threatened to ground Canada’s Porter Airlines over safety problems in 2008, according to documents reviewed by Reuters, but the matter was kept secret for years - a sign, some critics say, of how little the public is told about the safety of Canadian airlines.

The documents, prepared by staff at the federal transport regulator, show that in early October that year, Canadian government inspectors scored Porter at only two on a scale of one to five, where five is best and three indicates compliance. The threat was first reported in the Canadian media in 2011 but the score and some of the reasons for it have not been previously disclosed.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 pm

Porter is introducing a new rewards program. It is revenue-based. Payments for luggage and some ancillary revenue will yields points.

Hitherto, they had a peculiar system that was not segment-related but looked at the fare type per trip. Three segments, not uncommon on Porter, would give you the same points as one segment.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
Earlier flights at EWR on Porter

Hi,
Porter allows complimentary same-day earlier flights between YTZ and EWR. I have a flight at 2 PM next Wednesday from EWR to YTZ. But something's come up and I really want to take an earlier flight-- the earlier the better. I'm willing to get there at 7 AM to maximize my chances of getting on an earlier flight.

1. Any idea what my chances are to get on board? Do these mid-week flights between EWR and YTZ tend to be very full?

2. I don't have bags to check. Should I just go to the gate to try to get an earlier flight or should I first check in at the ticket counter?

3. Does TSA have any time limit on how far ahead I can go through security? Can I show up at 7 AM holding a boarding pass for 2 PM?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:18 am

Porter's Earlier Flights on YTZ-EWR

Hi,
Porter allows complimentary same-day earlier flights between YTZ and EWR. I have a flight at 2 PM next Wednesday from EWR to YTZ. But something's come up and I really want to take an earlier flight-- the earlier the better. I'm willing to get to EWR at 7 AM to maximize my chances of getting on an earlier flight.

1. Any idea what my chances are to get on board? Do these mid-week flights between EWR and YTZ tend to be very full?

2. I don't have bags to check. Should I just go to the gate to try to get an earlier flight or should I first check in at the ticket counter?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:04 am
B1

There's a Porter forum on the Miles & Points area under "Other NA Airlines." IMHO if you need to be somewhere you have no choice but to get there early and wait and see. Are you willing to cancel and rebook instead?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by B1
There's a Porter forum on the Miles & Points area under "Other NA Airlines." IMHO if you need to be somewhere you have no choice but to get there early and wait and see. Are you willing to cancel and rebook instead?
We have redirected the question to the thread B1 (and other FT'ers via PM) referenced.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by ssconfiguration
Hi,
Porter allows complimentary same-day earlier flights between YTZ and EWR. I have a flight at 2 PM next Wednesday from EWR to YTZ. But something's come up and I really want to take an earlier flight-- the earlier the better. I'm willing to get to EWR at 7 AM to maximize my chances of getting on an earlier flight.

Thanks for any advice.
1. Porter has just about hourly flights, and in my experience, they are about 75% full. If you don't get on the first one, you'll get on the next for sure, as long as the weather isn't terrible.

2. Either works. You can go through security any time you like. The one advantage of going airside is that there is a mini-lounge with free nonalcoholic drinks.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:55 am

Thanks, usAir!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:06 am

Just got an email from Porter that they're offering flights from YTZ-MLB. I thought a destination like that would be out of the Q400's range. My limited understand is max passengers + max fuel was not possible due to the runway length at YTZ.

Will be interesting to see. I'd rather fly 3 hours in a Q than Rouge.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm with you. Porter made me a fan for my EWR-YTZ trips with their service & YTZ hub..not sure about 3+ hours on a Q400 but I'd try it out.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I'm with you. Porter made me a fan for my EWR-YTZ trips with their service & YTZ hub..not sure about 3+ hours on a Q400 but I'd try it out.
With decent legroom and a couple of free beers, I'd choose Porter as well. But how exactly are they achieving this route on a Q400?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.