Porter Airlines

Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I think they should fly from YXE also!!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:10 am

Porter Airlines plans flights to Newark

Porter Airlines Inc. plans as many as eight flights a day to Newark from the startup carrier's Toronto base beginning early in 2008, challenging Air Canada, Continental Airlines Inc. and United Airlines.

"We'll take some market share and maybe we'll generate some as well," Chief Executive Officer Robert Deluce said.

The airline secured slots at Newark Liberty International Airport for six to eight aircraft daily, Deluce said. Porter now serves Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax, Nova Scotia, and intends to add Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington to its network.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...709200360/1003
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by imverge
Reliable info with AC regarding the XM project? HA! Good luck.

Ask yourself why doesn't AC do a better job in updating their website to reflect the actual number of XM'd aircraft?

Because they know the program is so far behind schedule with the B763's which is where they need it the most. Passengers are paying a premium fare and getting a sub-standard aircraft that is falling apart and being held with duct-tape. Posting the slow "progress" only highlights their past statements that turned out to be false.

Knowing they were so far behind... Instead of keeping the YVR station open to speed up the XM process they decided not too. But of-course that's a separate company

As for charging for WiFi AC shouldn't be looking at charging anything extra (AVOD) until they have a universal in-flight product that starts with interiors.
Porter spread false information. They said their US expansion would happen in the spring of 2007, and it is now one full year behind schedule. I don't care about Deluce's reasons, just as you don't care about reasons why AC's XM project is behind schedule. They don't even have the airplanes on the property yet to fly new routes, so obviously they had no intention of launching new US routes last spring. A whole lot of Deluce hogwash.

First it was spring 2007

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...325142&k=77732

Then it was by the end of 2007

http://www.thestar.com/article/227782

Now it's spring 2008 and they are only negotiating financing for aircraft that have yet to be delivered.

Last edited by Sebring; Sep 23, 2007 at 8:55 am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
Porter spread false information. They said their US expansion would happen in the spring of 2007, and it is now one full year behind schedule. I don't care about Deluce's reasons, just as you don't care about reasons why AC's XM project is behind schedule. They don't even have the airplanes on the property yet to fly new routes, so obviously they had no intention of launching new US routes last spring. A whole lot of Deluce hogwash.

First it was spring 2007

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...325142&k=77732

Then it was by the end of 2007

http://www.thestar.com/article/227782

Now it's spring 2007 and they are only negotiating financing for aircraft that have yet to be delivered.
One full year? Spring is when? Get your dates straight.

Their current fleet would have been used for EWR flights but they launched Halifax instead due to delays and uncertainty cause by AC and their buddies at CO. We know that tactic failed.

AC has had 18 month's to XM those 763 and how many are completed 7 as per their website. PATHETIC.

Get back to me on PORTER'S route progress in the same time frame of 18 month's.

One thing is for sure PORTER will have launched US service before AC completes the XM on the 763s
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:54 am

One full year? Spring is when? Get your dates straight.

Their current fleet would have been used for EWR flights but they launched Halifax instead due to delays and uncertainty cause by AC and their buddies at CO. We know that tactic failed.

AC has had 18 month's to XM those 763 and how many are completed 7 as per their website. PATHETIC.

Get back to me on PORTER'S route progress in the same time frame of 18 month's.

One thing is for sure PORTER will have launched US service before AC completes the XM on the 763s
Porter lied, and only a Porter apologist would say otherwise.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:00 am

Hmmmm a new airline that most including yourself said wouldn't survive this long... Everyday it operates only proves the AC apologist's wrong and the PORTER ones right

Last edited by Simon; Sep 23, 2007 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:12 am

Hmmmm a new airline that most including yourself said wouldn't survive this long... Everyday it operates only proves the AC apologist's wrong and the PORTER ones right
No, if you're going to set a standard, I'm going to take you on right here.

Back when Deluce forecast a start of service to the US in the spring of 2007 he had to have known that this was highly unlikely if not impossible, yet he led the world on. Porter is only now building the necessary terminal additions and negotiating to acquire more aircraft and financing. To have launched in the spring of 2007, it would have had to be implementing these projects in November 2006.

Last edited by Simon; Sep 23, 2007 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:53 am

Mark my words PORTER will launch at least 2 US cities before AC finishes the XM project.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:07 pm

Mark my words PORTER will launch at least 2 US cities before AC finishes the XM project.
And they will probably pull off those routes before AC finishes the XM project. I can hardly wait until Porter gets a taste of Newark, with post clearance and the worst delay problem of any U.S. airport.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Flying 8 flights a day.

Two things will kill a new business: undercapitalization and massive uncontrolled growth.

WS, like them or not, has succeeded by adding one route, one frequency at a time.

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Rather Independece Air-ish.

Simon
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
It is obvious Deluce was way off the mark with his prediction that they would be in the US by the spring of 2007. As it stand's now, as per the plan, they will be running by spring 2008. Not sure why there is comparison to the AC XM project since they seem to be completely different issues.

However, since someone has compared them, I will throw my 2 cents in. The only difference I see in both companies being wrong about something, is, Porter wasn't selling any tickets or making money off people's expectations. Can the same be said about AC?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by stinger
It is obvious Deluce was way off the mark with his prediction that they would be in the US by the spring of 2007. As it stand's now, as per the plan, they will be running by spring 2008. Not sure why there is comparison to the AC XM project since they seem to be completely different issues.

However, since someone has compared them, I will throw my 2 cents in. The only difference I see in both companies being wrong about something, is, Porter wasn't selling any tickets or making money off people's expectations. Can the same be said about AC?
Has AC advertised its new product? And can you honestly say it is charging more for its J product to reflect a new product. I see a J product that is being heavily discounted, not marked up. The only people I know who are buying that product are people specifically booking a 777. If they get an equipment switch, I would expect them to be unhappy. Anyone else flying in J is hoping to get a better product than they paid for, i.e. an upgraded aircraft.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by stinger
The only difference I see in both companies being wrong about something, is, Porter wasn't selling any tickets or making money off people's expectations. Can the same be said about AC?
How many people, outside of FF, are likely to even know about the XM project? I would say "FEW", given the general looks of amazement when passengers board a newly refurbished plane, and the general ignorance of such things.

And anyone who is a FF does, or certainly should, know that equipment switches happen all the time, and that the program has taken much longer than hoped.

Simon
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has AC advertised its new product? And can you honestly say it is charging more for its J product to reflect a new product. I see a J product that is being heavily discounted, not marked up. The only people I know who are buying that product are people specifically booking a 777. If they get an equipment switch, I would expect them to be unhappy. Anyone else flying in J is hoping to get a better product than they paid for, i.e. an upgraded aircraft.
Let's see, how is one J fare on route X any different from any other J fare on route Y? If I am the one that gets the crappy seat and cabin environment I would be sure to complain loudly........It's kind of like serving warm wine and beer to your premium customers.........
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Let's see, how is one J fare on route X any different from any other J fare on route Y? If I am the one that gets the crappy seat and cabin environment I would be sure to complain loudly........It's kind of like serving warm wine and beer to your premium customers.........
You're presuming that AC charges more for J than it did, say, 2-3 years ago, or that it is charging the same as the competition that has a new/newish product. If AC wants to keep charging less, and offering an inferior product, I don't see why you would complain. If I pay $3,000 for a discounted J product on AC, versus $5,000 for Club World or L'Affaire, I am making a conscious decision to pay less and get less. So I would not be disappointed. Resigned to my fate, perhaps. Sorry that my employer didn't want to pay $5,000, perhaps. However, if my discounted J price got me a lie-flat pod on a 777, I'd probably feel like I lucked into something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.