Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: several
Is there an efficient deicing capability at YTZ?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:57 am

Deluce is going to breathe on the planes.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sebring
Deluce is going to breathe on the planes.
Well bowled.....
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jral
Is there an efficient deicing capability at YTZ?
Yes, very efficient: a truck with 2 guys -- 1 in the bucket with a handheld pressure spray gun and the other at the wheel.

Works very efficiently in < 10 mins: buttoned up; truck drove up; guy sprayed.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
www.flyporter.com launches April 17th

Full page ad in today's G&M highlights the Porter staffers who hope to "welcome you aboard" later this year -- senior management crew -- and advise of the launch of the web site next week.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by stinger
I would like to see them succeed since I hate the tree huggers on the island who think they should run everything even though they pay little in taxes or leases for their land.
Rather than repeat my rant about uninformed people claiming the Islanders don't pay their share, I'll just provide a link to my previous rant - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...90#post5261390

Do not underestimate DeLuce on this one - he has a lot of serious money behind him. I think the venture is folly, but clearly he will not be stopped unless the Tories step in and flush the Port Authority. Harper has recently given some hints he might move in this direction, hence the Porter PR offensive (newspaper ads, radio appearances, etc.) even though there won't be any flights until the fall at least.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: AC, NW, US
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
If they capture every single Jazz passenger, (they won't, many are hooked on points and status on AC and will use YYZ), that translates to a 37% l/f with 5x daily.

It's a mortal lock that Jazz will be back on the Island in one way, shape or form, and anything Porter does, Jazz will match, bankrolled by ACE shareholders.
Writing from a passenger's POV, I don't understand how Porter would attract frequent flyers away from Jazz if both fly into YTZ. When people in my office depart YOW in the morning and return from wherever the same evening, they simply tell the secretary to book a ticket for certain departure and return times. If they collect AE points, they'll indicate Jazz flights. I don't think that they're forced to choose the cheaper ticket. A competitor could charge $0 for a ticket and many people would still fly Jazz...
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
[QUOTE=ohcanada]Rather than repeat my rant about uninformed people claiming the Islanders don't pay their share, I'll just provide a link to my previous rant - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...90#post5261390
QUOTE]

So, your rant goes as such:

1. Whoa is me who has property in GTA that does not increase in price. (Why are you concerned about paying taxes on your actual value since according to you it hasn't increased in many years-oxy moron)

2. Everybody is beating up us islanders and it is difficult to live on the island with ferry service. (Move somehwere else, nobody is forcing you to live there)

I would suggest that you are the uninformed. How much do you pay to lease your land? I am very curious.

Long live Porter Airlines if it re-establishes the island as a viable alternative. I will say again I would love nothing more for Miller and the crew to eat crow over this one. I will even fly them when I can if it means that.

I should say also that I enjoyed the full page add this morning.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
I guess the question to be asked is, if Q400's are so "low cost", how many have been ordered by low cost carriers? The answer is zero. Nada. Zilch. Not a sausage.. :
Most LCC's to date copied the Southwest model Wasn't that born in their era of cheap oil? Welcome to a new era, one where the Q400 could do quite well. If fuel prices continue to rise, won't it be the LCC's who lose their bargain hunting leisure travel clientele first? How will profits fare if 737-size aircraft are going out half full on short hops? Obviously the Q will never be an aircraft of choice on long routes but Horizon seems to be doing quite well with theirs.

That said, your analysis of Porter is probably spot on due to the particluar circumstances involved.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ohcanada
Do not underestimate DeLuce on this one - he has a lot of serious money behind him.
Same quote was said about OzJet, a business oriented airline in Australia flying with 50 seat (all J) 737-200s. OzJet was backed by millionaires and got killed weeks after launch.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:49 pm

Porter pilot interviews start the week of Apr. 17.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by stinger
So, your rant goes as such:

1. Whoa is me who has property in GTA that does not increase in price. (Why are you concerned about paying taxes on your actual value since according to you it hasn't increased in many years-oxy moron)

2. Everybody is beating up us islanders and it is difficult to live on the island with ferry service. (Move somehwere else, nobody is forcing you to live there)

I would suggest that you are the uninformed. How much do you pay to lease your land? I am very curious.
So, I'll ignore the mis-spellings and pretend you were trying to make a point.

I'm not complaining about the trade-off of losing out on huge non-taxable gains in exchange for the lifestyle choice. You're the one that's complaining about the choice having been offered to me. I would have thought you'd at least offer some intelligent analysis of why the trade-off was not a good one for the government to have made. Then I'd probably be able to refute it.

The points I made were that Islanders are the only ones in Toronto who pay property taxes based on the actual value of their homes, because that value is established by legislation, and that not everyone on the Island is a pinko subversive (although many are!). Again, I'm not complaining about the tax situation, but I resent people like you inaccurately claiming that we don't pay taxes or that we don't pay our share.

As for the price paid for the leases, they are set by statute (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/S...sh/93t15_e.htm) and regulation (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...h/930817_e.htm) which I'm sure you can read for yourself. Houses on the Island are available to anyone who, like me, was interested enough to put my name on a waiting list and wait for a property to become available.

Lastly, I'm sure you realize that the opposition to YTZ is not being driven by Islanders anymore - I can assure you that the 700 or so of us would not be able to effectively oppose this. It's the tens of thousands of waterfront condo dwellers that are the main opponents these days - they have enough votes to make a difference, and that's who the politicians are listening to.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

Porter Airlines hasn't even applied for a licence to operate yet, but the upstart Toronto commuter carrier is unleashing a marketing blitz to woo business travellers in Canada's largest city.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:04 am
At Large

Originally Posted by ohcanada
Lastly, I'm sure you realize that the opposition to YTZ is not being driven by Islanders anymore - I can assure you that the 700 or so of us would not be able to effectively oppose this. It's the tens of thousands of waterfront condo dwellers that are the main opponents these days - they have enough votes to make a difference, and that's who the politicians are listening to.
They should simply expropriate the remaining lots on the islands and turn the whole place over to the population at large. Enough is enough
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Hrm. I'd fly Porter if my travel department allowed:

1. No Monday morning customs line-ups
2. 10 minutes from my condo (+10 minutes for ferry, tops)

I also don't think they need 5x/day. First flight out, last flight back. Then add second flight out, second-to-last flight back if loads work. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.